Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 AM   #1

Cool Step Alert Light/sound

Don't know if anyone had the same concern I had concerning not having an alert that my steps were down if the ignition was on and the door open or whether the steps retracted when the door closed.

We (me and a friend) installed a light and sound alert (60 dbs) on the panel that the radio and rocker switches are installed. Easy access and wires can be run very easily to the steps. An ignition wire connection is readily accessible so that the light and sound alert only function when the ignition is on. Peace of mind to know when the steps are safely retracted. The cost was less than $8 and my and my friends labor.

My 2014 Georgetown 377 xl did not have a step out alert. Seems to me that should have been factory installed when coach was built.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

I agree, that should be a factory installed feature. I'm very interested in doing that on my GT. Where did you purchase it? Any pics from the install?

Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #3

What did you use as the sensor to know the steps are still extended?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #4

Did you splice into the under step amber light wiring to know when the steps are not retracted?
Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #5

The RV ‘Step Out’ Warning system will provide an visual and audio warning anytime that the step is not in its fully retracted, stowed position AND the ignition switch is in the ‘ON’ position. The attached photos illustrate the components that I used to make a full proof method to provide an audio-visual warning system any time the vehicle is attempted to be started and the steps are not in the fully retracted and stowed position.

These components can all be acquired from AMAZON and are the following part numbers:

Kwikee Rectangular magnetic switch with NC contacts which are White in color.
P/N: 905312000.
When the magnet is near the switch, the contacts are open so the light goes off. Conversely, when the step is out and the magnet is away from the switch, the contacts are closed and the light is on.

DIALIGHT Panel Mount LED Indicator Light, RED, 14V – 20 mA,
P/N: 507-4760-3731-500F

DIALIGHT Holder, Panel Mount, with Turret Terminals, P/N 508-8738-504

Electronic Alarm Buzzer, 6-24 VDC, 2-Wire Industrial Electronic, Discontinuous Sound Buzzer, 60dB, P/N: LZQ-3022

The power to the Kwikee Magnetic Reed Switch can be provided from any 12 vdc source that is ‘HOT’ when the ignition switch is turned ‘ON’. This can come from the dash fuse panel, or by splicing into the ignition power source that provides power into to step control module. A wire will then be connected to the other end of the magnetic switch and routed up to the Dialight indicator lamp on the dash. Then the other wire on the indicator lamp will be routed to a good ground.

In addition the 12 vdc buzzer alarm will be wired in parallel to the Dialight LED indicator lamp assembly.

The Kwikee Magnetic switch assembly MUST be mounted on the step assembly so that the magnet section moves with the step during extension or retraction. The mounting location must be oriented such when the step is fully retracted into its up and stowed position the magnetic section is next to the magnetic reed switch section.

Therefore with a N.C. magnetic switch, when the step is NOT in its fully retracted or stowed position, the magnet section will not be next to the magnetic switch section and the contacts will close and the indicator lamp and alarm will sound.

Conversely, with this N.C. magnetic switch, when the step is NOT in its fully retracted or stowed position, the magnet section will not be next to the magnetic switch section and the contacts will close and the indicator lamp and alarm will sound.

I would not suggest trying to wire into the amber step illumination light as this is not a full-proof method to detect step position. This is because you can turn off step switch which will turn off the amber step light, and if you leave the door open you can still start the engine and move the RV with the steps in the extended position and you would not get an audio-visual warning.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker3040 View Post
Don't know if anyone had the same concern I had concerning not having an alert that my steps were down if the ignition was on and the door open or whether the steps retracted when the door closed.

We (me and a friend) installed a light and sound alert (60 dbs) on the panel that the radio and rocker switches are installed. Easy access and wires can be run very easily to the steps. An ignition wire connection is readily accessible so that the light and sound alert only function when the ignition is on. Peace of mind to know when the steps are safely retracted. The cost was less than $8 and my and my friends labor.

My 2014 Georgetown 377 xl did not have a step out alert. Seems to me that should have been factory installed when coach was built.

Concerned your step are out? This and many other things must be visually checked before you move.
I use my mirrors to see if the steps are in and I make sure the top door lock is in the lock position.
No way they steps can go out.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Concerned your step are out? This and many other things must be visually checked before you move.
I use my mirrors to see if the steps are in and I make sure the top door lock is in the lock position.
No way they steps can go out.
I do the same thing. However; I believe the 377XL steps may not be visible with the mirror due to steps forward location. An added stick on small convex mirror to the main mirror may be possible to view the steps. I suppose the steps may not retract at start up and not be detected without some reference to verify. I haven't heard of this being a major issue. I have never had steps not retract when they are supposed to and not know it.

Tags
light