Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Step diagnosis question

I have a 2010 357qs. The 2 house batteries were completely toast. I recently drive it home from the repair shop and the steps did not completely retract with the engine running. After I got home and shut it off the steps would barely extend. I just replaced the 2 hose batteries this morning and initially had the same operation. I started the engine for 5 minutes or so and the steps now fully extend as normal just stay about 3 inches from fully retracting. I M thinking the new batteries just need to be charged up fully.

My water pump was a ring erratic as well and now works normally with the new batteries. Is my thought of voltage good or should I look for another problem????
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ken View Post
I have a 2010 357qs. The 2 house batteries were completely toast. I recently drive it home from the repair shop and the steps did not completely retract with the engine running. After I got home and shut it off the steps would barely extend. I just replaced the 2 hose batteries this morning and initially had the same operation. I started the engine for 5 minutes or so and the steps now fully extend as normal just stay about 3 inches from fully retracting. I M thinking the new batteries just need to be charged up fully.

My water pump was a ring erratic as well and now works normally with the new batteries. Is my thought of voltage good or should I look for another problem????
Whens the last time the steps and linkage were lubricated? That's probably most of your problem as there's lots of friction points in the mechanism. Not only causes noise and slow ops without lube, also causes bolts and pins to shear.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Not for a while. What would you recommend for a lubricant??
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Always Learning

For my fifth wheel steps, I used white lithium grease.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Thanks a bunch. I will see if that changed anything
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Not for a while. What would you recommend for a lubricant??
Yes lithum grease comes in spray format, just a little messy. Can also use WD 40 more often but doesn't attract dirt. Also I use silicon to break thing free. Just use spray any thing cause some areas you won't be able to reach.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #7

I sprayed it plus it is plugged into 50 amp and it seems to work better. I will spray it a few more times and see how it does once it works in. Thanks very much
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:

You said the batteries were toast meaning bad.
Was it age or the battery charger over charged or under charged them?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #9

I think it was age and misuse. Several times the dealer left te batteries on extended and ran them way down and probably killed a cell or 2
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

If you have the Kwikee steps always brace them when you are camping. The linkage will eventually break and that's a fun time when the step gives way under you. Keep some duct tape around too cause the steps just flap around loose when the linkage breaks. Luckily it happened to me when I was pulling into my storage location. Long zip ties zipped together would probably be even better. You can't drive the rig with the steps flapping. Not a good design after I got to spend time with it. While the linkage looks strong, its just chromed iron and it fatigues from your weight on the step. I now avoid the very bottom step till I get it supported.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
If you have the Kwikee steps always brace them when you are camping. The linkage will eventually break and that's a fun time when the step gives way under you. Keep some duct tape around too cause the steps just flap around loose when the linkage breaks. Luckily it happened to me when I was pulling into my storage location. Long zip ties zipped together would probably be even better. You can't drive the rig with the steps flapping. Not a good design after I got to spend time with it. While the linkage looks strong, its just chromed iron and it fatigues from your weight on the step. I now avoid the very bottom step till I get it supported.
What do you use to support them? Thanks.
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge View Post
What do you use to support them? Thanks.
Short stack of wood pieces different thickness, some use a small screw jack. For sure a good idea, keeps wear down on joints.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #13

Wound up being voltage. Charged up the new batteries and it works fine