Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Steps Deploy While Driving

I have an issue with my steps. While driving down the road I would hit a bump the steps would go out. Hit another bump they would go in. Had to unplug them to get to the campsite. Any suggestions or ideas on what is going on?

Old 10-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #2

The screen door that has the magnet on it is wasn't latched closed and moved during travelling.
Take a closer look how it's lined up with the contact on the frame.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
toolman_57

This was my very first experience with our Georgetown. The screen door was warped before I took delivery. I learned to drive the motorhome with the steps out (at least for the first 25 miles). Thankfully, I caused no damage. I received a bunch of waves from passers-by. They eventually replaced the door.

To get home (another 50 miles), I warped it in the opposite direction to make sure the contacts were engaged (towards the bottom of the door). While waiting for the replacement door, I also glued a block of rubber to the screen door on the opposite side of the contact--this made the outer door hold the screen door against the contact. Not so surprisingly, the new door came with a similar block of rubber mounted to it--I'm not sure if the factory did this or if the dealer did this. Either way, I didn't have to. The logic of the lockout switch is such that the steps will extend if the screen door is open--regardless if the engine is running.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman_57 View Post
.......... I also glued a block of rubber to the screen door on the opposite side of the contact--this made the outer door hold the screen door against the contact. Not so surprisingly, the new door came with a similar block of rubber mounted to it--I'm not sure if the factory did this or if the dealer did this. Either way, I didn't have to. The logic of the lockout switch is such that the steps will extend if the screen door is open--regardless if the engine is running.

Adding the rubber bumper is a great idea to help the door not flex and move the magnet closer to the contact.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The screen door that has the magnet on it is wasn't latched closed and moved during travelling.
Take a closer look how it's lined up with the contact on the frame.
X2. Alignment of magnet. Our exterior door needed aligned and now we use one of the latch locks on the exterior door when traveling
Door latch lock to assure a "bump or road jar" doesn't allow permit exterior door or screen magnet to lose connection. 2 yrs so far so good
Old 10-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Taberry

steps

we had an exposed wire on our motorhome steps and they would go in and out if we hit a puddle or it was raining
Old 11-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #7

Steps deplowing while driving on georgetowne

Just got our 2013 Georgetowne back from servicing as there was a Recall on steps. Might want to followup with local dealer on yours.