Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: orlando
Posts: 12
steps extended in storage

I first read about the steps extending with the battery disconnect turned off and then closing the door. I had a real issue with this while the coach is in storage. I figured there had to be a simplest solution than installing a battery disconnect at the battery. Thanks to someone on this forum, I bought a magnet figuring I would only be out a couple of bucks if it didn't solve the problem. To my pleasant surprise, when I turned off the battery disconnect, then stuck them magnet next to the door one, the steps retracted and stayed in when I closed the door. I did have to play with the magnet to get the polarity right.

So thanks to those who figured this out and posted it on the forum.
__________________

__________________
pres09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wherever we are parked!
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by pres09 View Post
I first read about the steps extending with the battery disconnect turned off and then closing the door. I had a real issue with this while the coach is in storage. I figured there had to be a simplest solution than installing a battery disconnect at the battery. Thanks to someone on this forum, I bought a magnet figuring I would only be out a couple of bucks if it didn't solve the problem. To my pleasant surprise, when I turned off the battery disconnect, then stuck them magnet next to the door one, the steps retracted and stayed in when I closed the door. I did have to play with the magnet to get the polarity right.

So thanks to those who figured this out and posted it on the forum.
I've been using a magnet for years and I think I said something about it in a thread not long ago. Works like a charm!
__________________

__________________
Lostdog
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rattleNsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Western Connecticut
Posts: 1,571
How does that work if the electrical is disconnected?? Inquiring minds want to know.
__________________
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,563
In the 378TS just leave the power disconnect switch on and flip the step switch also to on and close the screen door with the slide on the door open (the steps will retract) and reach inside and flip both switches to off and close the main door and secure. You don't have to be tall to accomplish this.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wherever we are parked!
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
In the 378TS just leave the power disconnect switch on and flip the step switch also to on and close the screen door with the slide on the door open (the steps will retract) and reach inside and flip both switches to off and close the main door and secure. You don't have to be tall to accomplish this.
Works exactly the same way using a bar magnet only you don't have to reach thru the screen door to turn off the switches. DW isn't tall enough to reach the switches thru the screen door slide opening.
__________________
Lostdog
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 133
I spent countless nights worrying about my extended steps getting smacked and bent in storage till this forums opened my eyes. All it took was the magnet contact and a few switch flicks. Thanks FRF.
__________________
___________________
Alan in Coral Springs
Georgetown XL 378TS 2013
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
Where exactly does the magnet connect to? I'm a newbie guys just bought a 2013 352qs. Thanks n
__________________
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wherever we are parked!
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htab View Post
Where exactly does the magnet connect to? I'm a newbie guys just bought a 2013 352qs. Thanks n
At the bottom of the screen door you will find a white piece of magnet that corresponds with another white piece of magnet on the door frame. It's the magnet on the door frame that you use to bring the steps up. Have the main battery switch on and the step switch on and, while standing outside, attach a small bar magnet to the door frame magnet and watch the steps retract! Now with the steps retracted, leave the bar magnet on the door frame, turn off the step switch, turn off the main switch and close the main door. Steps will remain retracted until you open the main door and remove the bar magnet. Then the steps deploy and then you can turn on the main power. Thats it!
__________________
Lostdog
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
Thanks Lostdog
__________________
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: orlando
Posts: 12
If the steps still open when you close the door, just switch your magnet end for end. This will make the polarity match the magnet on the door.
__________________

__________________
pres09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.