Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

Steps up while parked in storage question

We recently purchased a 2012 Georgetown 357. When I park the RV I want the steps to retract while house batteries are switched to disconnect. When we parked the coach today in the storage space, the only way to get the outside steps to retract was to leave the battery switch engaged.

Am I doing this correctly?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #2

There is a switch, usually by the entry steps, that allows the steps to stay extended even if you close the door. That way while you are camping the steps aren't constantly going in and out every time you open/close the door.

Flip the switch off and your steps will retract when you close the door even if you turn the battery disconnect switch to off.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Flip the switch off and your steps will retract when you close the door even if you turn the battery disconnect switch to off.
Thanks Al but I tried that, if the battery disconnect is off they won't retract.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Hmmm. How about this. With the battery connected, door open, grab a magnet and present it in front of the sensor...this will retract the steps and then hit the disco switch.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

BTW, not sure exactly how yours is wired, but on ours the steps and a couple of other things are wired directly into the battery. That way, even with the batteries disconnected, they still function.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:29 AM   #6

I solved this issue on my coach by doing a simple wiring change. On my coach there is a fused wire coming directly off the battery to the steps. This is what allows the step to extend with the battery disconnected. My battery control centre is just above the battery bank, and it contains the solenoid activated by the battery disconnect switch. The live connection (direct from the battery) and the switched connection are extended to the outside of the battery control centre on the right side. They are easy to locate if you take the cover off the battery control centre to see the solenoid. I moved the step power wire from the battery positive terminal to the switched side of the solenoid. Now there is no power to the steps once the disconnect switch is activated.
I gather that having the steps extend even with power disconnected is a feature called "Last man out".

Sent from my ME173X using Forest River Forums mobile app
leomosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
We recently purchased a 2012 Georgetown 357. When I park the RV I want the steps to retract while house batteries are switched to disconnect. When we parked the coach today in the storage space, the only way to get the outside steps to retract was to leave the battery switch engaged.

Am I doing this correctly?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.
If you have a step power switch adjacent to your battery disconnect switch can you have both of them on and from outside your unit close only the screen door which will retract your steps and then reach through the screen door slide area and turn off the switches. Now just close the main door and secure your coach. The step power switch typically will only supply power to retract the steps. The steps will deploy without the step switch on when the door is opened. Some people use the magnet trick and some have installed another switch to simulate the door closure. I can reach through the screen door but some are not tall enough. This may help.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Hmmm. How about this. With the battery connected, door open, grab a magnet and present it in front of the sensor...this will retract the steps and then hit the disco switch.
Exactly! Did it this way for years.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #9

Mine retracts even with the coach switched off. I think that's the way it should be for storage.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you have a step power switch adjacent to your battery disconnect switch can you have both of them on and from outside your unit close only the screen door which will retract your steps and then reach through the screen door slide area and turn off the switches.
I was just getting ready to type out the exact same thing. This is how I've been doing it because I read it on a thread here a few months back.
Cyclone Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
Mine retracts even with the coach switched off. I think that's the way it should be for storage.
Same here, I like it that way. We are lucky to have shore power when ours is in storage, but if I had to leave it without shore power for a long period of time, I'd probably disconnect the batteries at the posts. Only problem with that is that the leveling system will have to be reset. It seems there are some things that stay connected to the battery when the battery disco switch is turned off...the leveling system, the steps, and the cabin sensors.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

There are at least 2 step systems out there on FR units now (LCI & KWIKEE) and after having both have seen they operate differently. And also FR might have wired differently. Hope the OP can get some results from these posts. We tried, good luck.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #13

Seems a bit odd that you can't retract those steps for storage. I guess I i'll try the magnet trick tonight when I get home. Where is the sensor located?

Thanks to all that have replied.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
Seems a bit odd that you can't retract those steps for storage. I guess I i'll try the magnet trick tonight when I get home. Where is the sensor located?

Thanks to all that have replied.
Take a look at your screen door towards the bottom. You'll see a little magnet riveted in place. The sensor is on the house side of the frame.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #15

Get a small rectangular shaped magnet and leave it attached to step frame.When leaving place the magnet next to the door sensor then shut your batt. disc and leave.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #16

Had this problem. I have LCI steps on my 2014 328 TS. Dealer told me to close the screen door to get the steps to retract. Then use broomstick through screen door opening to hit battery disconnect switch. Pain but it works.
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #17

I would have thought that they would all be wired the same way. Not sure which is the correct way, but glad our steps work with the batter disco switch turned off.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypal View Post
Get a small rectangular shaped magnet and leave it attached to step frame.When leaving place the magnet next to the door sensor then shut your batt. disc and leave.
X2.
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #19

The steps should be hard wired to the battery for safety. If wired through the battery switch just imagine your inside after you turn off the MH engine and the steps are up. Before you open the door you turn off the battery switch, open the door and the steps DO NOT deploy! That next step will ruin your day!

Obtain a small, square magnet at any hardware store.

When leaving the coach in storage:

Have battery switch on.
Have step switch on. Steps deployed.
Step out of coach with magnet in hand.
Turn around and place magnet on door frame sensor and steps should retract as if the door was closed.
Reach in and turn off step switch and battery switch.
Close and lock door.

When you return:

Open door.
Remove magnet. Steps should deploy.
Turn on battery switch and step switch.

This procedure works with Lippert steps that are hard wired to the battery bank. I would think all model steps should be like this IF hardwired to the battery bank.
Max E. Dog, the new pup

Tags
storage