Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Angry Still Having Trouble with Recall Repair!

We are so frustrated! We've not been able to find a local Ford dealer to take care of recall # 12S27- Transmission PRNDL Indicator/Cable & Shift Lever Arm Replace.

I admit that we sort of put this on the back burner because of family issues (my father's illness and death & now DH's mom is very ill) BUT have made calls around thinking that surely someone could do it locally.

DH finally called Ford customer service today and was told the only place that would do it is over 100 miles away. DH called the dealer and they said to bring it in at the beginning of next week and it shouldn't take but a WEEK to complete. ARE YOU SERIOUS? So we've got to take two days that we really don't have to get this done since we're leaving in less than 3 weeks for an extensive trip. Even if we weren't under the time crunch...who has the time or desire to drive 2 hours and then leave the MH to drive 2 hours back just to repeat it in reverse?

Now...how safe will it be? Should I take everything out? Like I've got the time to empty it and reload it. I can just see her sitting out in the rain then being baked in the sun instead of in her garage.

From what others have said, to fix this isn't that big of a deal and could be done in the parking lot in about 2 hours & putting it on the rack isn't necessary. We live near Louisville, KY. Guess who has a truck plant in Louisville, KY? FORD. Guess who has a big truck dealership in Louisville. FORD. They said they can't do the repair. We tend to think it's more of a "won't" because they don't want to deal with covering carpet and keeping it clean.

Perhaps Forest River could put some pressure on Ford to provide better support for the RV side of their truck business. There are a LOT of RVs riding on top of Ford chassis.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We are so frustrated! We've not been able to find a local Ford dealer to take care of recall # 12S27- Transmission PRNDL Indicator/Cable & Shift Lever Arm Replace.

I admit that we sort of put this on the back burner because of family issues (my father's illness and death & now DH's mom is very ill) BUT have made calls around thinking that surely someone could do it locally.

DH finally called Ford customer service today and was told the only place that would do it is over 100 miles away. DH called the dealer and they said to bring it in at the beginning of next week and it shouldn't take but a WEEK to complete. ARE YOU SERIOUS? So we've got to take two days that we really don't have to get this done since we're leaving in less than 3 weeks for an extensive trip. Even if we weren't under the time crunch...who has the time or desire to drive 2 hours and then leave the MH to drive 2 hours back just to repeat it in reverse?

Now...how safe will it be? Should I take everything out? Like I've got the time to empty it and reload it. I can just see her sitting out in the rain then being baked in the sun instead of in her garage.

From what others have said, to fix this isn't that big of a deal and could be done in the parking lot in about 2 hours & putting it on the rack isn't necessary. We live near Louisville, KY. Guess who has a truck plant in Louisville, KY? FORD. Guess who has a big truck dealership in Louisville. FORD. They said they can't do the repair. We tend to think it's more of a "won't" because they don't want to deal with covering carpet and keeping it clean.

Perhaps Forest River could put some pressure on Ford to provide better support for the RV side of their truck business. There are a LOT of RVs riding on top of Ford chassis.
I can't speak as a FOMOCO rep but my entire career was involving Electrical, mechanical and structural problems and fixes. They did my F53 chassis recall in the parking lot of the service/sales center. It took maybe just over an hour. It consists of opening the access cover of the steering column, just below the ignition key lock. They installed a small bracket with a cable guide to prevent the rubbing of the cable linkage of the shifter control with the column indicator. Not transmission, indicator only. Apparently some folks had cable rub it two and without some intuition had no idea what gear the trans was in. Still its a NTSA recall that should be done eventually.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

In my experience, the quickest to complain/most problematic customer in an auto dealer shop is the owner of a high end, late model motorhome. Yes, they did indeed pay 50K,60K,70K or more so they get particular about their rig... but, a shop doesn't make much profit on a recall and doesn't want the headache of an upset customer. I've spent most of my adult life in management of dealerships, and it was the case at all 3 I've been in, and all 3 declined motorhomes... it's just the way it is, sorry to say
Old 07-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #4

Had it done to my FRGT, took about 15 minutes or so. Is not a safety issue. all requirements were done under the dash.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote