Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Still No Awning

A few of you may remember that on our way down to FL we managed to rip off the entire awning last June or July time frame. It was a battle trying to get the correct part numbers and we finally took it in to nearest dealer to get it replaced.

This particular dealer had us made wasted trips with the MH by not providing good information on the time frame it will take to get the awning ordered and replaced. The last time we took the MH up there to drop it off, they told us it will be 6 weeks to get it in so we brought the MH back home...another wasted trip. Anyhow, it's been umpteen months and they still hadn't call us back to let us know it was in. We called them and they said that they had to send back the awnings three times due to damage during shipping. They didn't bother keeping us informed even after they got nearly 3k bucks to have this done.

My wife got into it with the owner and he didn't want to take the blame for the lack of communication and took the side of the service department. He kept asking why we didn't buy the MH from him. What a load of BS.

Now we are waiting for another awning to come in under, "handle with special care" shipping. Mind you they got paid for the repair way back.

What really gets us is that there isn't a good FR dealer in our area. The place we bought it from is nothing but a circus and now this dealer appears to be the same way.

I hope you are reading this, Ron Potts, not a way to do business. Just because we didn't buy the MH from you doesn't mean to treat customers this way.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

Sad situation, very sad...

Consider yourself lucky that the dealer is even trying to help, there have been reports of some who will not even help at all if you did not buy from them.

Sad yes, but it does happen.

You are getting the rough ride so you may a well throw on another saddle blanket and tough it out.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #3

We just don't understand why they have to be like this. Don't know what brings in the most revenue for a dealer, but I would have thought it was in the service department. It makes me wonder if some of these dealers have a money laundering scam going on.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #4

I feel for you alparmer. It is ridiculous how these RV dealers operate. I just do not understand it either.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Camper Less Camping

You would think that with just under 1M rv owners throughout the U.S., the rv parts ordering and shipping should operate lightning fast...think someone needs to reach out to Amazon to help this part of their business!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

I think they use the parts delay as an excuse for them not doing their job timely.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
A few of you may remember that on our way down to FL we managed to rip off the entire awning last June or July time frame. It was a battle trying to get the correct part numbers and we finally took it in to nearest dealer to get it replaced.

This particular dealer had us made wasted trips with the MH by not providing good information on the time frame it will take to get the awning ordered and replaced. The last time we took the MH up there to drop it off, they told us it will be 6 weeks to get it in so we brought the MH back home...another wasted trip. Anyhow, it's been umpteen months and they still hadn't call us back to let us know it was in. We called them and they said that they had to send back the awnings three times due to damage during shipping. They didn't bother keeping us informed even after they got nearly 3k bucks to have this done.

My wife got into it with the owner and he didn't want to take the blame for the lack of communication and took the side of the service department. He kept asking why we didn't buy the MH from him. What a load of BS.

Now we are waiting for another awning to come in under, "handle with special care" shipping. Mind you they got paid for the repair way back.

What really gets us is that there isn't a good FR dealer in our area. The place we bought it from is nothing but a circus and now this dealer appears to be the same way.

I hope you are reading this, Ron Potts, not a way to do business. Just because we didn't buy the MH from you doesn't mean to treat customers this way.
Who paid these people (3.000$) F/R,or some Ins.Co.? Your unit is a (14) did you buy the (2nd Yr Warr)? Did F/R authorize the repair? Have you talked to F/R? Youroo!!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Who paid these people (3.000$) F/R,or some Ins.Co.? Your unit is a (14) did you buy the (2nd Yr Warr)? Did F/R authorize the repair? Have you talked to F/R? Youroo!!
It wasn't warranty repair. We left the awning extended one early morning while pulling out of our camping spot. The insurance company paid for it. The dealer asked for ~2k for the parts, and 1k for labor. Total rip-off, but the insurance paid for it. IMO, should have been 2k for everything. What sucks is the 1k deductible.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #9

Bummer, Al. Care to share the name of the dealership you are working with so others can beware?

We've experienced some similar scenarios in our first year of owning a 2014 GT. Like you, we don't have a GT dealer close, so we had to drive 250 miles to the nearest dealer for warranty work. Only after the coach sat on their lot for a week and a half did they get to it and order the necessary parts, and then let us know it would be well over a month for the parts to get there. Knowing and fearing that might be the case, I STRONGLY urged them to look at the coach the DAY I brought it in, and find out what parts would be needed and determine THEN if they would keep the coach and get right to it, or if I'd need to make a separate trip. As it turns out, after dropping the coach, coming home and finding out 10 days later that they couldn't do anything and we'd need to bring it back later, we had to drive back and to retrieve the coach. One of these items was as simple as the wiper arm assembly - it was so loose it flopped in the wind. Weeks before taking the coach in, the dealer confirmed that this was a common problem and it would for sure need to be replaced. I asked him to assure me he would go ahead and order the wiper so it would be there WHEN I got there, and not wait until the coach sat on their lot for a week to get to it. Guess what, no wiper arm when we got there, and better yet, "sorry it will be a month until we get the part in". All of this, right before we were set out on a 3000 mile trip.

I get that dealers need to diagnose issues and need for parts, and then it's up to the manufacturer or supplier to get those parts to them, and that sometimes takes time. But there is not excuse for not keeping the customer in the loop.

-M
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #10

Yep. All these postings sound a lot like my dealer. I should have researched the dealer as much as I did the coach. So, if it's any consolation Al, I get bad service from my dealer and I purchased the MH from them. I have driven over 100 miles to my dealer twice while it was in for service because I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone or call me back. Won't say name because it's currently in shop now for service.
Also, another post mentioned 2nd year warranty. When I called FR I was told they didn't offer 2nd year warranty on MH's. Is this correct?

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning