Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #1

Still No Awning

A few of you may remember that on our way down to FL we managed to rip off the entire awning last June or July time frame. It was a battle trying to get the correct part numbers and we finally took it in to nearest dealer to get it replaced.

This particular dealer had us made wasted trips with the MH by not providing good information on the time frame it will take to get the awning ordered and replaced. The last time we took the MH up there to drop it off, they told us it will be 6 weeks to get it in so we brought the MH back home...another wasted trip. Anyhow, it's been umpteen months and they still hadn't call us back to let us know it was in. We called them and they said that they had to send back the awnings three times due to damage during shipping. They didn't bother keeping us informed even after they got nearly 3k bucks to have this done.

My wife got into it with the owner and he didn't want to take the blame for the lack of communication and took the side of the service department. He kept asking why we didn't buy the MH from him. What a load of BS.

Now we are waiting for another awning to come in under, "handle with special care" shipping. Mind you they got paid for the repair way back.

What really gets us is that there isn't a good FR dealer in our area. The place we bought it from is nothing but a circus and now this dealer appears to be the same way.

I hope you are reading this, Ron Potts, not a way to do business. Just because we didn't buy the MH from you doesn't mean to treat customers this way.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

Sad situation, very sad...

Consider yourself lucky that the dealer is even trying to help, there have been reports of some who will not even help at all if you did not buy from them.

Sad yes, but it does happen.

You are getting the rough ride so you may a well throw on another saddle blanket and tough it out.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #3

We just don't understand why they have to be like this. Don't know what brings in the most revenue for a dealer, but I would have thought it was in the service department. It makes me wonder if some of these dealers have a money laundering scam going on.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #4

I feel for you alparmer. It is ridiculous how these RV dealers operate. I just do not understand it either.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Camper Less Camping

You would think that with just under 1M rv owners throughout the U.S., the rv parts ordering and shipping should operate lightning fast...think someone needs to reach out to Amazon to help this part of their business!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #6

I think they use the parts delay as an excuse for them not doing their job timely.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
A few of you may remember that on our way down to FL we managed to rip off the entire awning last June or July time frame. It was a battle trying to get the correct part numbers and we finally took it in to nearest dealer to get it replaced.

This particular dealer had us made wasted trips with the MH by not providing good information on the time frame it will take to get the awning ordered and replaced. The last time we took the MH up there to drop it off, they told us it will be 6 weeks to get it in so we brought the MH back home...another wasted trip. Anyhow, it's been umpteen months and they still hadn't call us back to let us know it was in. We called them and they said that they had to send back the awnings three times due to damage during shipping. They didn't bother keeping us informed even after they got nearly 3k bucks to have this done.

My wife got into it with the owner and he didn't want to take the blame for the lack of communication and took the side of the service department. He kept asking why we didn't buy the MH from him. What a load of BS.

Now we are waiting for another awning to come in under, "handle with special care" shipping. Mind you they got paid for the repair way back.

What really gets us is that there isn't a good FR dealer in our area. The place we bought it from is nothing but a circus and now this dealer appears to be the same way.

I hope you are reading this, Ron Potts, not a way to do business. Just because we didn't buy the MH from you doesn't mean to treat customers this way.
Who paid these people (3.000$) F/R,or some Ins.Co.? Your unit is a (14) did you buy the (2nd Yr Warr)? Did F/R authorize the repair? Have you talked to F/R? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Who paid these people (3.000$) F/R,or some Ins.Co.? Your unit is a (14) did you buy the (2nd Yr Warr)? Did F/R authorize the repair? Have you talked to F/R? Youroo!!
It wasn't warranty repair. We left the awning extended one early morning while pulling out of our camping spot. The insurance company paid for it. The dealer asked for ~2k for the parts, and 1k for labor. Total rip-off, but the insurance paid for it. IMO, should have been 2k for everything. What sucks is the 1k deductible.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #9

Bummer, Al. Care to share the name of the dealership you are working with so others can beware?

We've experienced some similar scenarios in our first year of owning a 2014 GT. Like you, we don't have a GT dealer close, so we had to drive 250 miles to the nearest dealer for warranty work. Only after the coach sat on their lot for a week and a half did they get to it and order the necessary parts, and then let us know it would be well over a month for the parts to get there. Knowing and fearing that might be the case, I STRONGLY urged them to look at the coach the DAY I brought it in, and find out what parts would be needed and determine THEN if they would keep the coach and get right to it, or if I'd need to make a separate trip. As it turns out, after dropping the coach, coming home and finding out 10 days later that they couldn't do anything and we'd need to bring it back later, we had to drive back and to retrieve the coach. One of these items was as simple as the wiper arm assembly - it was so loose it flopped in the wind. Weeks before taking the coach in, the dealer confirmed that this was a common problem and it would for sure need to be replaced. I asked him to assure me he would go ahead and order the wiper so it would be there WHEN I got there, and not wait until the coach sat on their lot for a week to get to it. Guess what, no wiper arm when we got there, and better yet, "sorry it will be a month until we get the part in". All of this, right before we were set out on a 3000 mile trip.

I get that dealers need to diagnose issues and need for parts, and then it's up to the manufacturer or supplier to get those parts to them, and that sometimes takes time. But there is not excuse for not keeping the customer in the loop.

-M
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

Yep. All these postings sound a lot like my dealer. I should have researched the dealer as much as I did the coach. So, if it's any consolation Al, I get bad service from my dealer and I purchased the MH from them. I have driven over 100 miles to my dealer twice while it was in for service because I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone or call me back. Won't say name because it's currently in shop now for service.
Also, another post mentioned 2nd year warranty. When I called FR I was told they didn't offer 2nd year warranty on MH's. Is this correct?

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Bummer, Al. Care to share the name of the dealership you are working with so others can beware?

We've experienced some similar scenarios in our first year of owning a 2014 GT. Like you, we don't have a GT dealer close, so we had to drive 250 miles to the nearest dealer for warranty work. Only after the coach sat on their lot for a week and a half did they get to it and order the necessary parts, and then let us know it would be well over a month for the parts to get there. Knowing and fearing that might be the case, I STRONGLY urged them to look at the coach the DAY I brought it in, and find out what parts would be needed and determine THEN if they would keep the coach and get right to it, or if I'd need to make a separate trip. As it turns out, after dropping the coach, coming home and finding out 10 days later that they couldn't do anything and we'd need to bring it back later, we had to drive back and to retrieve the coach. One of these items was as simple as the wiper arm assembly - it was so loose it flopped in the wind. Weeks before taking the coach in, the dealer confirmed that this was a common problem and it would for sure need to be replaced. I asked him to assure me he would go ahead and order the wiper so it would be there WHEN I got there, and not wait until the coach sat on their lot for a week to get to it. Guess what, no wiper arm when we got there, and better yet, "sorry it will be a month until we get the part in". All of this, right before we were set out on a 3000 mile trip.

I get that dealers need to diagnose issues and need for parts, and then it's up to the manufacturer or supplier to get those parts to them, and that sometimes takes time. But there is not excuse for not keeping the customer in the loop.

-M
The dealer is Ron Potts in Johnstown OH.

All that Mr. Potts had to say is, "I'm sorry that my service department did not keep you in the loop and I will personally make sure it doesn't happen again". Instead the conversation was all about why we didn't buy from him, how we are upset because of the 1k deductible, yadda, yadda. It really surprises me how someone with that type of business ethic has this type of business. All I can say is that he must be doing really well and doesn't care about the future of his business.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #12

We finally have an awning in our MH. When we dropped it off I asked the service guy to see about fixing the front AC unit under warranty. He went to talk to his boss and the boss told him that he wouldn't do it because we got a better deal buying the RV elsewhere. I told him that I would pay up front and then try to get reimbursed by FR. He flat out said no. Can you believe that? Well, at least they installed the awning. The tech over torqued the upper bolts and the frame is bent. They didn't even bother to clean up the residual tape adhesive from where we had secured the wiring. I asked the tech why they didn't clean it up and he said he was told not to. He ran away when I raised my voice and told him that they got paid 900 bucks for about an hours work and they couldn't even clean up the adhesive.

We dropped it off in the morning and wanted to pick it up the next day. We were told to pick it up the same day because they were not responsible for anything that could happen to it. Can you believe this?

I'm really confused as to how these dealers operate. FR should have some sort of contract with them to avoid this crap from happening. If they are certifying a dealer as a FR dealer then they should have to fix your warranty issues regardless where you bought it.

Now I'm stuck with a bad Dometic AC and my one year expires this month. Luckily we bought the 7 year extended and will have to go through them. I'm going to have to find a generic RV dealer in the Columbus area and avoid the FR dealers since they are all corrupted.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
Carknocker Family

When my A/C needed warranty work. I just called Dometic and they set up an appointment at my nearest dealer. I purchase my TT 900 miles away! Had no problem once I told the fixing dealer that Dometic authorized them to fix it.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
We finally have an awning in our MH. When we dropped it off I asked the service guy to see about fixing the front AC unit under warranty. He went to talk to his boss and the boss told him that he wouldn't do it because we got a better deal buying the RV elsewhere. I told him that I would pay up front and then try to get reimbursed by FR. He flat out said no. Can you believe that? Well, at least they installed the awning. The tech over torqued the upper bolts and the frame is bent. They didn't even bother to clean up the residual tape adhesive from where we had secured the wiring. I asked the tech why they didn't clean it up and he said he was told not to. He ran away when I raised my voice and told him that they got paid 900 bucks for about an hours work and they couldn't even clean up the adhesive.

We dropped it off in the morning and wanted to pick it up the next day. We were told to pick it up the same day because they were not responsible for anything that could happen to it. Can you believe this?

I'm really confused as to how these dealers operate. FR should have some sort of contract with them to avoid this crap from happening. If they are certifying a dealer as a FR dealer then they should have to fix your warranty issues regardless where you bought it.

Now I'm stuck with a bad Dometic AC and my one year expires this month. Luckily we bought the 7 year extended and will have to go through them. I'm going to have to find a generic RV dealer in the Columbus area and avoid the FR dealers since they are all corrupted.
I bought my Georgetown from Paul Sherry RV in Piqua, OH and have received outstanding service. Jake, their service manager, took care of anything and always worked with FR to do the right thing. If FR wouldn't cover it but Jake felt it was not my issue then the dealership covered it (new batteries as an example) I don't know how they will treat you if you bought your RV elsewhere, but they've been nothing but wonderful to me.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:

That's awful Al! I will say our dealer was a little squirrely at first on some repairs, but they did fit us in (we did buy it from them as well) and they were sure happy to get us in when I had an additional fan I wanted installed when we were having the warranty work on our stabilizer jacks done!!!

At least you now have a new awning!!!!

Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #16

I also bought from Paul Sherry in Piqua. My experience was also very good, both the price I paid and the excellent service I received under warranty. The service mgr, Jake took good care of us including the hydraulic line replacement under warranty.

I tried to deal with the local Columbus area dealer but he is a real piece of work!!

Since I'm off warranty I've used RCD, as they are 70mi closer, and have been pleased. Work completed right and on time.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
When my A/C needed warranty work. I just called Dometic and they set up an appointment at my nearest dealer. I purchase my TT 900 miles away! Had no problem once I told the fixing dealer that Dometic authorized them to fix it.

X2. I went to a local repair center (not a dealer). They talked directly with dometic, worked out a deal, and completed the repair.

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Thanks, I'll call Dometic.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobill View Post
I also bought from Paul Sherry in Piqua. My experience was also very good, both the price I paid and the excellent service I received under warranty. The service mgr, Jake took good care of us including the hydraulic line replacement under warranty.

I tried to deal with the local Columbus area dealer but he is a real piece of work!!

Since I'm off warranty I've used RCD, as they are 70mi closer, and have been pleased. Work completed right and on time.
That's where we bought ours from. We refuse to go there for a couple of reasons. While I was transferring our stuff from our TT to the GT, my wife was with the finance guy doing paperwork. She came out of the building fuming. If it wasn't because I was pretty much done transferring everything over we would have left. Come to find out, the finance guy was wrong with some numbers (to his advantage), and when my wife called him out, he became extremely rude. I think he was one of those guys that can't stand a woman telling him he is wrong. Anywho, the owner came to apologize and threw in the 7 year warranty at cost, which was pretty cheap. We finished everything up and I told the salesman about a couple of cosmetic things that needed to be fixed before we pick it up. We made an appointment to pick it up in a week. When we picked it up, they didn't take care of anything. One of the cosmetic issues was a chip in the shower's fiberglass. The others were paint/decal issues. We figured, no big deal since we got a good price on the coach and the warranty. I then noticed that the tank was empty and it took an act of God for them to fill it up. I went with the salesman to the gas station and while the tank was being filled I tried to make some small talk since he wasn't saying much. I asked him how many MPGs I should expect and he said about 14. Being a gear head all of my life I thought it was lie, but not knowing anything about MHs and these new engines, I thought "maybe". A few days later when I figured out that the MPGs were more like between 6 and 8 and told the wife about it...she was not happy. You have to understand that my wife is an ethical woman on crack. We went to do a review through the dealer's website and basically told the story as it was. Shortly after, I receive a nasty email from the salesman calling me deaf and that I needed a hearing aid along with a couple of other things. We forwarded everything to the owner and he blew it off.

Sorry for the long read, but from experiencing all of that we can't see going back to that dealer. Not to mention the fact that we didn't have a refrigerator's inverter and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.

Like I said, we are going to have to find a good shop around town. So far, I have repaired everything myself and should be able to repair the AC, but since we have the warranty, we might as well use it.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #20

Sorry to hear your experience in Piqua wasn't as good as ours.

There's still RCD. They don't handle the brand, but they are close and I've had a good experience with them, both on repairing my former 5th wheel after it suffered some road damage, and in replacing the cooling unit on the 378's Dometic refrigerator. This was under the Dometic warranty, as they are an authorized service agent for Dometic refrigerators. They had to pull the unit and replace the cooling unit. Under the warranty I had to pay the labor, about 6 hours worth. All was completed timely with no issues and no threats about storage,etc. btw, I've never bought a unit from them, and they don't seem to care.

Tags
awning