Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

Stopping at Weigh Stations

We're on a trip in our 2004 forty foot motor home. I noticed that many weigh stations in South Dakota and Iowa had signs that said "All Vehicles weighing more than 8,000 pounds must stop". I didn't stop, but kept watching in the rear-view mirror to see if they were coming after us. I wish the signs would say, "All trucks instead of all vehicles". I was confused and still not 100% sure that I shouldn't have stopped. PS. No one came after us.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The word TRUCK is defined state by state. In IL, a TRUCK includes pickup trucks. There is also no blanket exception for RV's. It is up to the state.

Of course in practice, nobody cares about RV's and pickups... however unless your state law says so, it isn't the case.
Are you saying in some states an RV must stop at the scales? If so please list these states so others can avoid any issues.
Thanks
Mike

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #13

Huh, now y'all understand my confusion. Just sayin.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyba View Post
Preparing for a cross country trip and am a bit confused when reading some states requirements, when it comes to stopping at weigh stations. Would like to hear suggestions from other experienced travelers. Getting mixed recommendation from some others. What do y'all recommend? Will be traveling I-95, and I-10, east to west.
Wasn't in my mh , but I noticed going across Mo. Everything over 8000 lbs Spose to stop, nothing about commercial or rv. Just 8000 lbs pull in, think another reader got pulled over in Maryland for not stopping. TT no worries , I am a trucker, so if you own it no stop. Transporters do stop an weigh station message board picks up there DOT number on cab, they must stop , my Gvwr is over 42000lbs so that's another story
Old 09-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #15

Weigh Stations - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Clear as mud! Who hires these people to answer questions? I do know that I have never stopped nor have I been pinched. I have see rigs lined up at the scales, but have always thought RVs are wrong to stop. I live in FL found this:

"All trucks traveling along state maintained highways are expected to stop at every Weigh Station and Agricultural Inspection Station along the way to their destination. If you're pulling a rental trailer with your personal vehicle, the combined weight of your personal vehicle and the commercial rental trailer can not exceed 10,000lbs, if so, you would be expected to enter the scale facilities in Florida."

It seems the rental trailer makes it a commercial venture. A reasonable person might then think "trucks" if pulling personal trailers would not be commercial and therefor not required to stop. Then he or she, introduces that personal vehicle and commercial rental trailer GCVW can't exceed 10K#. My pickup can weigh up to 9K# by itself.

Glad I could help LOL..
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #16

So strange, cause I just came thru Mo. Yesterday, an sign was very clear, I guess they assume commercial h
Old 09-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #17

While I haven't been in every state I sure have been in a lot of them and I've yet to stop at a weigh station nor have I been pulled over for not pulling in. I've been rving with a fifth wheel since 2003.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #18

What about - can you stop at a weight station and get your weight of the motorhome?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The word TRUCK is defined state by state. In IL, a TRUCK includes pickup trucks. There is also no blanket exception for RV's. It is up to the state.

Of course in practice, nobody cares about RV's and pickups... however unless your state law says so, it isn't the case.
In 1972 when I got my 72 El Camino, not knowing the law, I stopped at an Illinois weight station and the operator said over the speaker, "Come back when your truck grows up." So, after that, I never stopped with the 78 1500 or the 81 El Camino or any of the pickups I've used pulling various trailers thru IL.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #20
jkoenig24

TECHNICALLY, many jurisdictions now state weight limits for vehicles that must pull into a Weigh Station. Signs will specify (ie: "Vehicles Over 5 Tons"). Note the generic word "Vehicles". MANY RVs qualify under such posted weight rules. That said, most jurisdictions have NOT been going after RVs. Until that changes, RVers are probably better off NOT pulling in unless a uniformed officer directs them in. Worst case right now; you do not pull in and, a patrol car follows and stops you. Although ignorance is no excuse, civility and politeness on your part, might result in a warning rather than a ticket. Most people who inadvertently violate a traffic law talk their way into a ticket by arguing with the officer. As jurisdictions find themselves in dire financial straits, things could change. A smart RVer gets his rig PROPERLY weighed (a service offered for a modest fee at many bigger RV rallies). Having such a Smart Weigh document with you could, if you did weigh less than the specified limit, explain why you did not enter a Weigh Station. Knowing your rig's true weight can keep you safer too.