Old 09-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #21
Weigh stationd

Private coaches do not have to stop at weigh stations. Even where the signs say
"all vehicles over xxxx lbs" rv's are exempt.
In 21 years of serious Rv-ing I have never stopped and never been stopped because of not stopping.

Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #22
X2 on no requirement to stop at the scales. However I would add that there is no problem with stopping by to weigh your rig (for your information) to determine if you're over the GVW for your trailer axles or not.

Good to know that your load is correct for your tires and if you have a balanced load side to side.

Here in WA there is no charge to weigh your rig as a combo and/or just the weight on your trailer axles.

Happy trails and safe travels.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #23
Jetjockey6, what authority is granting the RV Exemption you claim? Just because LEOs (Law Enforcement Officers) fail to enforce a statute one time, does NOT mean such failure to enforce will continue.

A quick check at the AAA website: Weigh Stations - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

shows: "(2) passenger or specialty vehicles, either single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more;"

for multiple states.

Exactly how are RVs NOT "passenger or specialty vehicles"?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #24
weigh stations...

If one stops at a weigh station and is over the limit for an axle, or two, then the
bureaucrat behind the desk can have you busted! Driving over a limit, be it speed or weight, is illegal! If the bureaucrat is looking for a promotion and can use busting an obscure, non-commercial, over-weight private coach as evidence of her
diligence...she will do it! Why on earth would anyone deliberately expose themselves to such a liability? Stay away from weigh stations! Get weighed at a truck stop.

Secondly, the "passenger or specialty vehicle" refers to commercial,for-hire passenger (such as a Greyhound Bus) vehicles or, as I recently discovered due to
an engine failure, a huge flatbed ("specialty vehicle")being towed by a tractor. The key here is "for hire" vehicles not private rv's.

in March I drove my 2015 Force 37BH,towing a U-Haul auto-flatbed, with my
personal vehicle securely strapped to it, from Ft. Myers,FL, to Sacramento for work. Total weight of the U-Haul was 6,000 lbs
and my Force was moderately loaded at about 26,000 lbs. It was exactly 3000 miles ( some minor side trips enroute). If I had a nickel for every weigh station I passed with LEO's in residence watching every vehicle going by I could buy a case of really good beer! I arrived Sacramento sans tickets. Over Labor Day weekend I returned the rig to Ft. Myers...sans tickets. Indeed, I passed one LEO-manned weigh station right behind a massive private, Prevost (H3???) towing a massive
Hummer. We both pressed on...

The moral of the story is: don't stop at weigh stations and don't worry about it!
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #25
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In 1972 when I got my 72 El Camino, not knowing the law, I stopped at an Illinois weight station and the operator said over the speaker, "Come back when your truck grows up." So, after that, I never stopped with the 78 1500 or the 81 El Camino or any of the pickups I've used pulling various trailers thru IL.
Now that's a hoot....Coot...
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #26
I can't imagine these scale captains knowing if an RV rig is overweight or not. Can you see them weighing each axle... do the truck only, trailer axle weights... do the computations? Look at the registration and door stickers? There are tens of thousands of rigs all different, but no that (or as) complicated for commercial vehicles. Big rigs can weigh up to 80,000# big diff. I know they care about weight on the axles of these.

Attached Images
XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #27
In Oregon, I stop at the scales when they are closed all of the time as the actual scales still work. When they are open, I stay out of the truckers way. Also, if you were way over weight the scale master may ask you to leave your trailer and find a more suitable vehicle. They have family out there just like us.

Coming back from the Dakotas last Friday or Saturday, I had a sign flash me, in Montana I think, that I needed to turn into the scale. Right before that, the sign referred to trucks so I didn't turn in.

I think this has to do with the newer weigh on the fly programs. Cool that a participating truck does not have to stop at the scale if they pass certain criteria. This saves the trucker time and fuel. All other trucks get flashed to enter the scales. I think my size caused the sign to flash because I was not close to overweight on any axle or combined weight.

2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #28
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
What about - can you stop at a weight station and get your weight of the motorhome?
done it all over fla ,Ga,SC they usually are more then happy to. in fla even get a complete print our per cornor weight, if its 1 that has been updated. sure beats paying $60 at s0me fmca & CAT is only ea axle .
i pull in to close lane or parking lot, ask they say go around again. I like knowing where i;am at on the tires
98 "C" Coachmen Santara 304 FL
Scangauge, TST tpms
2 cats Tyler -Lucy
santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #29
Ok....clear as mud
Brwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #30
Did the trip 2 yrs ago and did not stop at any weigh station. Have a GMC 3500HD Denali truck and 40ft. Fifth wheel. Never got a glance from any of the state troopers we passed or passed us. Safe trip and happy times!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote