Old 09-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #31
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The word TRUCK is defined state by state. In IL, a TRUCK includes pickup trucks. There is also no blanket exception for RV's. It is up to the state.

Of course in practice, nobody cares about RV's and pickups... however unless your state law says so, it isn't the case.

Friend of mine got a ticket in Chicago one time with a little S-10 in a "no trucks" zone. He went to court and beat it but he had to take a half day from work to go down into the city to go to court.

prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #32
We tow with a full size class 8 Kenworth tractor with a Smart car on the back with a 41' 5th wheel, and do not pull into weigh scales, stopped at a rest area in Pa once and they had a DOT check going on and the trooper looked smiled and said have a nice day. I really believe they are only interested in commercial vehicles plus I think if they start weighing some of the rv's out here a lot will not be allowed to proceed, but as someone posted how do they really know what vehicles are rated to tow how much weight.

dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #33
COMMERCIAL VEHICLES ONLY , What is so hard to understand
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
2015 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Amateur Radio W5CI
2016 Days Camping 48
W5CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #34
I think that the bottom line is that in some states they could require you to weigh an RV or a TV towing a trailer, but in practice they are really only interested in commercial vehicles. Many states have a policy specifically excluding RVs if they do not specify "commercial vehicles," while others just seem to ignore them out of standard practice.

I also think that a previous poster has a point in that with so many configurations out there it would be hard to them to know what was the legal load per axle. They are interested in a maximum weight per axle for the highway and not the capacity of the vehicle itself.

Personally I have never stopped nor have I ever seen an RV at a weigh station.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #35
Interesting how many people state that they have been Rv'ing for X number of years and they have never been stopped so that means you don't have to stop. That isn't exactly how it works. Now I'm not saying you have to or should be stopping, I don't even think twice about it when I pass by, but just because it hasn't bit you in the ass doesn't necessarily make it right.
2015 Ram 3500 CC SRW SB 6.7 Diesel Powered Baby!
2015 Sabre 36QBOK-7

2015 Nights Camped: 23
2016 Nights Camped: 21
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #36
Who Dares, Wins
In PA Can an rv be stopped and weighted, yes. Our law allows for any truck to be weighted if thought to be over weight, they ignore cars and subs for some reason. All our weights go off the registered weight of the truck and trailer plus axle weights on the yellow sticker. Not worried about you pulling a 10k trailer with a Ranger IF the truck is under the weight class weight it is registered as and the axles are not over weight. If you are then you do not move. We have state run DOT scales along interstates but that is only a small part of the whole weight thing. Local and state depts can and do run their own scales to enforce the laws (not just dot commercial stuff) . Our law also makes trucks over certain weights commercial / motor carrier vehicles regardless of the use . So the commercial laws would apply to them. While the federal laws apply to CMV only we have laws that apply to all trucks, commercial or not which covers size weight and configuration.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #37
Only the government would do this. Pennsylvania law reads "Regardless of size, the following vehicles are subject to inspection and weigh station examinations: (1) agriculture vehicles when using public highways; (2) passenger and specialty vehicles towing large trailers; (3) large recreational vehicles, and (4) trucks."

Nice, start out with "regardless of size" and then use the word "large" in two places. If I were a PA trooper I wouldn't waste my time with RVs since any judge with a brain would not enforce the ticket.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Of all these quotes, from various state literature, has anyone checked to see if they are from a subsection dealing with commercial vehicles? This comes up from time to time here, and that's usually the case. I've called the state highway patrol command centers of various states where these signs are posted, or mandates have been read, and they all say the same thing, "These are referring to commercial vehicles only, if you're a private, not for hire, vehicle, do not enter". I have not called every state, but the ones that I have, all said they don't know of any state that requires private vehicles to be weighed. Inspections are a different story.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 67
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #39
And still no definitive answer. Probably the best answer would be to call each state and ask, or is that too simple?
Brwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #40
I have communicated with Maryland and according to the letter of the law, all vehicles over 5 tons are require to stop. That's the law. That's what it says. In my emails, they said that non-commercial trucks are required to stop. What's crazy is with my 12,300 lbs. GVWR on my dually, I'm required to stop even if I'm not towing. Again, this is the letter of the law. Anyone who says otherwise, for Maryland, is wrong. I can share the emails (I've posted them here before).

NOW, the spirit of the law says that they don't care and aren't going to pursue you. (Though, there was a 1st-person account post here where someone was stopped on I-95 in Maryland towing his travel trailer.) I've driven past many weigh stations across the country and even sort of pulled into one in Virginia (only because I wanted the rest area behind it- they had me bypass the scales). Generally the intent/spirit of the law is that it's only for commercial. Other than that one account, I've never heard of any RVer get stopped.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote