Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 37
Strange electrical issue

I have a 2009 Georgetown 357 QS, today I noticed that my LP Gas detector wasn't on and subsequently I couldn't use the gas cooktop or the gas water heater. After checking all the fuses, I noticed that I couldn't use the slideouts either. This was all while I was connected to shore power. So then I tried starting the engine and the battery was completely dead, even when using the battery bypass to the coach battery's nothing turned over. Then I disconnected from shore power and there was no power to anything in the motorhome, I couldn't even start the generator. Even though the house battery's showed a full charge, I couldn't use anything. Then I jump started the motorhome from my pickup truck and started the engine. At this point, still not connected to shore power everything worked fine. I could use the lights from the coach battery's, start the generator, everything. Does this make any sense to anyone? It would seem to me that even if the motor battery is dead everything else should've worked from the coach battery's.
__________________

__________________
EricBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Taking a WAG (wild ass guess) I suggest the following
Their is a 50A Circuit breaker, check and press the reset button,
Also check the coach battery ground connection.
__________________

__________________
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Ditto
Check your 50A Circuit breaker, turn off then back on.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 37
Thanks for the reply's. I checked the 50AMP and it was fine. One thing I didn't make clear was that everything else except for the slideouts, the LP detector and the engine was working perfectly off the shore power. Electric water heat, air conditioners, tv, outlets, microwave,... I still don't understand why the engine batter died, or why it is necessary to run the LP detector, the slideouts and start the generator when the coach batteries are fully charged.

Weird.
__________________
EricBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 31
Was the battery disconnect by the door ON If it's off then there be NO power from the coach battery and you would be unable to boost from them either
__________________
CanadianRVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRVER View Post
Was the battery disconnect by the door ON If it's off then there be NO power from the coach battery and you would be unable to boost from them either
Think you may have hit it on the head. The problem with that switch is no matter if it's disconnected or connected the light always is lit giving a false belief of it's On.
Generator won't start without it being in the On position. I know this first hand, not one of my better moments, had to laugh, felt like an idiot.
Slides won't operate either if the key is ON in the ignition.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 31
I find the key thing odd as I leave keys in the ignition so as not to loose them (did that once) slides work though as long as key is not turned ON. Not MY finest moment LOL
__________________
CanadianRVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
jsutherl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 312
On my coach if you turn the disconnect off it disconnects the house batteries from almost everything, including the converter. So the house batteries aren't getting charged when the disconnect switch is off.

However, the LP sensor, the steps and one other thing (I don't remember what?) are directly connected to the positive on the battery. So they still draw current even when the disconnect is off.

So if you flip the disconnect to off and leave the LP sensor on you end up with a dead battery. I haven't measured to see what the draw is on each of the things that don't get disconnected.
__________________

__________________
2008 Georgetown SE 350DS BunkHouse
jsutherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.