Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

Strange Noise

Been a GM owner all my life until owning the Ford V10 in this MH so I'm hoping this is something normal. There is a noise that seems to come from below the drivers seat in the engine area when I first start driving after it has been sitting for a while. Haven't been able to pinpoint exactly when it does it until yesterday when I moved the MH a short distance in the driveway. Backed up about 10 feet and when I hit the brake it made the noise until I took my foot off the pedal so I'm assuming it has something to do with the braking system. Hard to describe but sounds kind of like a sick goose. Everything seems to work fine but just curious what that noise is.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Been a GM owner all my life until owning the Ford V10 in this MH so I'm hoping this is something normal. There is a noise that seems to come from below the drivers seat in the engine area when I first start driving after it has been sitting for a while. Haven't been able to pinpoint exactly when it does it until yesterday when I moved the MH a short distance in the driveway. Backed up about 10 feet and when I hit the brake it made the noise until I took my foot off the pedal so I'm assuming it has something to do with the braking system. Hard to describe but sounds kind of like a sick goose. Everything seems to work fine but just curious what that noise is.
I'm just guessing here, based on older school buses I used to run (before we went to air brakes), but could you be hearing a hydraulic brake booster pump running?
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #3

I've heard something similar on ours, but you can only hear it when you open the window and stick you head out. The one on the inside while you depress the break is normal.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #4

Strange Noise

I Had the same thing
I believe it is the brake booster but only hear it when the engine is off
I did step on the brake one time when it was off and heard the noise and after starting the unit and driving about 100 feet I noticed the brake warning light was on
After messing with the brake and turning on and off the engine it finally went off. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

I hear the exact same noise each time I start up. I'm sure it's the brake.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #6

Strange Noise

While you're pretty much describing a hydraulic brake booster noise given the on/off brake change, I can't help but think Idle Air Control Valve. I've worked on fleets of Ford vans and trucks for the last 15 years, not to mention countless Ford light duty cars and trucks. When someone comes in complaining of the "honking goose" noise, we go straight to the IAC. The valve vibrates at certain times and resonates the honking into the air cleaner assembly. This holds true on all the gas powered Fords up until they dropped the cable operated throttle for the "fly by wire" type. The FBW just uses the throttle plate to control idle, not a separate valve. If you have hydra-boost brakes, just make sure your power steering fluid is full. Noises in those boosters are pretty normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #7

Thanks for the input from everyone. Wasn't sure what it was and wanted to make sure it was normal.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote