Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Member
 
Mooney 78865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 80
Strange noise on the drivers side

We have a 2014 GT XL378 and when driving I keep hearing a "light thump, thump" if the road isn't reasonably smooth. Which is all of the roads in California. I at first thought something was moving around in the overhead of the main slide as the sound is high up and behind my head. I thought it may be the cover from the satellite cable conduit had come loose and was flapping, nope. Maybe the antenna for the AM FM was flopping, nope.
The slide is fully retracted and while in motion the wife doesn't see any movement in the slide more than the slide on the other side, which really isn't any movement. It isn't getting worse and has been that way for a while now.
Now I'm thinking that maybe the noise is coming from the slide topper, perhaps the return spring inside does not have enough tension? Although it does it at pretty much any speed.
Anybody have suggestions?
__________________

__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2010 Chevy HHR "Toad"
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,964
Do you still have the Winegard crank up antenna?
__________________

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
I Break Everything
 
mikel68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lampasas, TX
Posts: 477
we have a 351 DS 2015. We had a thump/thud sound. Took a bit to figure out exactly where it was coming from. Turns out it was tied to the shocks. Got it repaired, but that was a few years ago. I don't exactly remember what the problem was. sorry.
__________________

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
360true's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
We have a 2014 GT XL378 and when driving I keep hearing a "light thump, thump" if the road isn't reasonably smooth. Which is all of the roads in California. I at first thought something was moving around in the overhead of the main slide as the sound is high up and behind my head. I thought it may be the cover from the satellite cable conduit had come loose and was flapping, nope. Maybe the antenna for the AM FM was flopping, nope.
The slide is fully retracted and while in motion the wife doesn't see any movement in the slide more than the slide on the other side, which really isn't any movement. It isn't getting worse and has been that way for a while now.
Now I'm thinking that maybe the noise is coming from the slide topper, perhaps the return spring inside does not have enough tension? Although it does it at pretty much any speed.
Anybody have suggestions?
Have you done a CHF to the front sway bar? After the CHF, my 378 "clunks" on the rare occasion.
__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
Toyota Prius on dolly.
Full time since 2014
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
Member
 
Mooney 78865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
Have you done a CHF to the front sway bar? After the CHF, my 378 "clunks" on the rare occasion.
I did do the CHF on both ends and will check everything out this weekend, good thought. Ours never had the crank up antenna.
The sound is right behind me and seems to be above my head. Now that I'm thinking about it I'll check the euro recliner in the stowed position as well as the mounting of the sofa. (we had the sofa out for reupholster early on) Other than that I'm still thinking slide topper....
__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2010 Chevy HHR "Toad"
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,954
If your Georgetown is like mine I had a similar sound and found it was the heavy black mud flap (front tires) getting blown back and hitting the cargo/storage box.

I added a few small screws thru it and into the storage plastic box behind and sound stopped.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 66K + miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
cjd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 523
Two things I can think of that I found on my rig was the window shade behind me will move and thump in the up position and I found the mounting bolts on the air conditioner loose allowing it to make a noise when on rough roads
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
Member
 
Mooney 78865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Two things I can think of that I found on my rig was the window shade behind me will move and thump in the up position and I found the mounting bolts on the air conditioner loose allowing it to make a noise when on rough roads
Those are two excellent ideas to check!
__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2010 Chevy HHR "Toad"
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3
Noise by driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
We have a 2014 GT XL378 and when driving I keep hearing a "light thump, thump" if the road isn't reasonably smooth. Which is all of the roads in California. I at first thought something was moving around in the overhead of the main slide as the sound is high up and behind my head. I thought it may be the cover from the satellite cable conduit had come loose and was flapping, nope. Maybe the antenna for the AM FM was flopping, nope.
The slide is fully retracted and while in motion the wife doesn't see any movement in the slide more than the slide on the other side, which really isn't any movement. It isn't getting worse and has been that way for a while now.
Now I'm thinking that maybe the noise is coming from the slide topper, perhaps the return spring inside does not have enough tension? Although it does it at pretty much any speed.
Anybody have suggestions?

I have had those annoying thumps as well. Discovered that the cables of the slide mechanism had slack in them and the connectors were hitting the walls. A bit of tightening by just a little (run the slide switch to bring the cables into tension) worked and eliminated the ability of the connectors to rattle.
Hope this helps, a pretty easy adjustment. We have had both our slide’s gear boxes replaced as the teeth broke off, so I know a little bit about these cables and the pulleys etc.

Painless 12
2016 Georgetown 3010DS
Painless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
Member
 
Mooney 78865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 80
Well I found it. It was the "bump" stop mounted on the side of the motorhome for the slide topper. It seems that the topper arms are in a position that when there is a little deflection in the topper roller it would come in contact. I repositioned the stop and all better now! 600 miles and not a peep!
__________________

__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2010 Chevy HHR "Toad"
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
noise

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.