Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Strange Occurence

I washed the roof of my GT 370 the other night. Once completed I decided to drop the motorhome down off the levelers so any remaining water would just run of the back. All three slide-outs were closed, I started my engine and turned on the leveler control. I then pressed the all jacks up button and the motorhome proceeded to drop down as normal. I then heard a strange sound and when I turned around one of the slide-outs was opening all by itself. It was the one that includes the bed. I went back and pressed the In switch and it had no control over the slide. I proceeded back to the front, turned off the engine and then back to the Command Center and pressed the In button again and the slide came back in. So I then started the engine back up and pressed the leveler control to relevel the motorhome. Everything went as normal operation. I then decided to follow the same sequence of events I did when the slide came out all by itself and it didn't happen. Everything was normal! Has anyone ever had this happen???? Any idea what might be the culprit????

Man, I hope those ghosts that use to turn on the TV at night aren't back!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #2

Water in the switch, relay, or contacts for the slide motor?
YesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

All switches are inside as well as the pump and contacts. Everything inside the compartments were dry. This particular slide moves by the hydraulics. I wonder if the valve for that slide didn't close completely when I closed it the last time. So, when the fluid returned from the levelers going back up the fluid pushed through and made the slideout just move outward? Any thoughts from anyone???
Like I said it only happened once. I think I'll give it a couple cycles this weekend and see if it happens again.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #4

Yep had this happen to me once although I was in the process of leveling the rig and the main slide behind me opened about 1" and I didn't even know it. When I turned off the engine and got up out of the driver seat I noticed the slide was ajar. It startled me at first, I though I had driven the whole day with it that way (but I know I didn't) Only did it one time and never again. I think it is a sticking slide in the control valve which determines which cylinders get the hydraulic fluid. Only thing I can think of.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The slide that opened, the one next to the awning in the picture below, went out the entire distance and that's about 16". It was really strange watching this thing go out as the leveler jacks went up.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #6

I had a similar problem and later my o-ring where the hydraulic fluid is located failed and my storage comparment was filled with pink fluid and jacks or slides would not function. I took it to Cheasaco and they said the o-rings used by Forest River are bad and they have seen many RVs coming in with this type of problem. They immediately fixed the problem and cleaned the storage area. So far so good, I keep my fingers crossed that the o-ring does not fail again.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

So far it has not occured again and there's no fluid visible in the storage compartment or anywhere on the ground. I ran it up and down on the levelers four times this past weekend and it seems to be fine.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #8

I had the same thing happen on my 07 Georgetown. Had all 3 slides out, turned the ignition on and hit the leveling buttons. The main slide started to retract. If anyone has a definitive answer for this one, let us all know.

4 days at Boomtown KOA at Reno, NV
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

First I wouldn't have the slide outs open without having the coach level. You can get away with the smaller slides but you're asking for trouble with the large one. The slides should not open or close with the keys in the ignition in the on position.
I was told the process is to level the coach with the engine running and parking brake applied, then turn off the igntion once leveled and then proceed to open the slides. When packing up bring in the slides, start engine, release the levelers [all jacks up] and then release the parking brake once all the jacks are up. Then proceed to leave.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR