Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Unhappy Stupid Me!

Did a really dumb thing, had the Georgetown in for some warrenty service and told them to do a Generator oil change, without asking for the cost involved. My shock, for a oil filter and 2 quarts of oil and their labor the charge was $106.16. Can you believe that, they charged 28.95 for the same filter that I had quoted at Advanced for 7.50, their 8.95 qt oil versus 2.95 quart for oil. I went freakin nuts but finally paid the 106.16 to never return there again for paid service.

The MH was clean when we took it in and was so nasty you couldn't tell what color it was when we picked it up, I have some serious issues with the dealer I bought that unit from.

I do have to return it to them for a couple of warrenty follow up items and the Owner and I are going to have a serious conversation about my experiences with them.

JimF, CWO, US Army Ret, 100% DAV
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2008 Dodge Caliber Toad
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Well I feel for you and it appears you were ripped off....most dealers are now charging $100 an hour now for labor so when you think of it the labor could be the one hour min. before they even poured any parts like oil and filter into it. Sounds like your dealer has no respect for the fact that you dropped a bundle to buy from deserve an explanation and some kind of refund. Good LUck.

polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Too soon old and too late smart.
"If everything seems to be going well, look around, you've obviously overlooked something."
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB
yup. its that dang labor to... plug job on my f150 was 550 bucks!! i didnt believe that it could be that high but i asked around and some were less and some were up to a grand to do!

guess diy is the way to go now adays..
One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I will say one thing about changing the generator oil. It's a slow process even after running the generator for about 15 minutes and then draining the oil. It just takes quite a while for it to drain out of the block. As for the filters. I've bought mine on eBay, OEM Cummins-Onan filters for under $10. Got 2 the last time for under $15 -including shipping. I check for them from time to time and buy them when I see the great deal.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Just a note, some people forget that below the floor of your motor home most ever thing is Ford, I take mine to Ford Dealer and pay 25-45, depending on specials for oil and filter changes. Motorhome dealers do set an ultra high labor rate, for they believe they have a captive customer. For what it is worth.
Logic will carry you from point A to point B. Imagination will carry you everywhere. "Albert Einstein". 2011 Georgetown 360, Bride of 45yrs, and 2014 Chev Equinox toad, what more could you ask for.
copsuno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
not surprised, I used to work at a auto repair facility and w were expected to make a minumum of 40% profit per ticket, and it was not out of the norm to have tickets with a 60% profit. The shop would buy parts from O'reilly or other parts stores and mark them up to just below the cost of an OEM Dealer part. The customer of course was always quoted the price first and had to approve the job. If they did not like the price then they were offered After market parts at a discount. This is standard operating practice for repair shops. If I ordered a filter for you for $8.00, then you would be charged about 16.95 for the filter, then labor, shop supplies, waste fees, tax, etc. That sucks but that is how it works. After being there for about 2 years I was let go for not charging enough on the tickets. I was being nice and not trying to rip people off so badly, they frounded on that practice.

Now for your situation, two Qts of oil and filter plus labor: in the shop were I used to work = $2.95/qt marked up to $6.50/qt, Filter $7.50 marked up to $16.95, half hour of labor = $45.00 this totals $68.45, plus waste/disposal fees/shop supply/tax (scam because the shop sells the waste oil and makes a profit off it), $5.00 waste/enviro fee, $3.00 shop supply fee for a grand total before tax of $76.45. Also we charged a premium on RV service, $125.00/hour labor RV/Heavy truck, $100/hour Auto. with the added $17.50 labor for the RV srvice we would have charged $93.95 plus tax. Yep you got ripped off! Sorry to hear that, I do as much DIY as possible.
Dan, Kelly and Maddy.
Cupid and Kandi the Camp Dogs
Tomball, Texas
2006 Salem LE2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost Supercrew w/ factory tow package
Danielflading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Team
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
Too soon old and too late smart.
HA! My grandfather said that frequently . . .
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Save Money

Never go to the RV Dealer for oil changes and inspections. Ford has the best prices on everything that has to do with the chassis including tires. You also need to become a road mechanic yourself unless you have the extra money to have someone to clean you windows. HaHa Ron& Renee TIP
georgetownpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
One of the reasons we went with gas V10 was the DIY portion. Changed the generator and V10 with oil and filters from wallyworld for under $40 going to the dealer for anything other than warranty work is costly.

I can say one big reason for me to give the dealer a try might be additional a inverter if I supply the parts. More complicated jobs they seem more accurate on price.

2008 Georgetown 350TS
sparks1032 is offline   Reply With Quote