Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Suggestions for Extended Service?

Hi We bought extended maintenance package ( Interstate) when we bought our 378 . It seemed like it had fairly extensive ( which I hardly used) but is due to run out next month . I need to purchase coverage going forward from someone .Could you guys let me know of your experiences ( good and bad ) with companies you've used. MH has about 40 k and is a 2012
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #2

My 2012 now with 60,000 miles and had all my problems in the first 2 years.
Now all I do is inspect and common maintenance.

Put $3,000 in a bank account which would be the cost of any warrantee you could buy for your 2012 and use it when some thing breaks.
Everything breaks but by now you are 90% good on your equipment.

Now if you want to be covered go right ahead and spend the money.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Iggy That's certainly an idea worth looking up. One of the options I also considered is establishing a savings account that I could build up going forward and a line of credit in the interm .
I also agree that it helps if you keep maintenance up . Read your post on maintenance schedule you follow I change oil every 6 months using full synthetic and grease the MH yearly. I've never done a rad, transmission ,brake flush before but I'm going to look into those as well. Will also start the fuel / carb treatments too.
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Put $3,000 in a bank account which would be the cost of any warrantee you could buy for your 2012 and use it when some thing breaks.

X-2 to the power of 100, don't waste the money start a small escrow and put in $25.00 per month and before you know it you will have to enough repair or replace anything that fails.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #5

I put whatever the extended warranty cost on all items that I buy in the bank. Including vehicles, kitchen appliances and electronic items EW. As well as other items.
Too many "gotta items" in extended warranties.
As for maintenance my Ford dealer says no need to do trans fluid change or brake fluid change till 60,000 miles under normal use, this is what Ford recommends. My dealer only charges $52.50 for an oil change while I wait. Hard to beat that.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

After a bad experience, that's what I do and I haven't used as much as the insurance costs. I use that fund for routine maintenance as well.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Boondocking Only

It's a waste of $$$. Scam alert
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
jkoenig24

Another vote to self-insure.

Have you read ALL the fine print on your current contract? Many require very specific service to be performed at intervals they specify (sometimes by providers they name). These can be VERY expensive. If you miss one, oops, they have an out to deny coverage.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #9

Here are some big problems with extended service plans (they are not warrantees!). 1) The Extended Service Co. determines what is covered. Read the fine print carefully then reread until you fully understand. 2) Service Co. decides what amount they will allow for a repair. (There is no Chilton's RV Repair Manual to give standard repair costs.) This is a big, big issue. I got stuck with a few hundred dollar bill after Service Co. said it should take X number of hours to repair while dealer said it took 2X hours. I got stuck with the difference. 3) Many, many of us with even modest DIY skills repair our own problems just to save time and endless hassle wrestling with Extended Service Co. and dealers. (Best advice on this subject: "Your RV has to be your hobby.") 4) Dealer has no incentive to get extended service related work out the door. So, you can lose use of your RV for weeks or months waiting to get it repaired. Do what so many do and put the money in the bank. Oh, try to find a local certified repair facility (not dealer and not CW). Their incentive is to get a quality product out the door in a reasonable time. That's how they make their money. Happy camping!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #10

[QUOTE=wrapperman;1814956]I put whatever the extended warranty cost on all items that I buy in the bank. Including vehicles, kitchen appliances and electronic items EW. As well as other items.
Too many "gotta items" in extended warranties.
As for maintenance my Ford dealer says no need to do trans fluid change or brake fluid change till 60,000 miles under normal use, this is what Ford recommends.

That's odd. My manual for my 2017 F250 says trans at 150000, and no mention of brake fluid needing changing. I've never heard of brake fluid needing changing unless the rubber on the cap or lid is split or gone, letting dirt and moisture enter the system.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #11

Well I guess I'm definitely in the minority here.... My coach is currently in the shop having a blown turbo replaced as well as numerous other things related to it - $9,400 worth...

My extended warranty is covering a tad over $8,200K of the total repairs .... Which means I'm out of pocket for around $1,200 or so.... I'd hate to know I had to dip into my savings to the tune of $8,200K.... I can buy a lot of diesel with that....

So obviously I'm a fan.......
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #12
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Well I guess I'm definitely in the minority here.... My coach is currently in the shop having a blown turbo replaced as well as numerous other things related to it - $9,400 worth...

My extended warranty is covering a tad over $8,200K of the total repairs .... Which means I'm out of pocket for around $1,200 or so.... I'd hate to know I had to dip into my savings to the tune of $8,200K.... I can buy a lot of diesel with that....

So obviously I'm a fan.......
That's pretty much the story of all extended warranties, they suck unless you have a major issue then they are life savers, like ALL insurance (and that is what an extended warranty really is) its wasted money until you have a claim. I just bought a Premium 6 year warranty on my new/used 2018 XL 369DS which added about $15 to the monthly payment and is fully amortized refundable for its entire life so I may use it for a couple of years and then cancel it for the refund depending on how my rig holds up, if things begin failing I will keep it but if it mostly seems to be holding up I may cancel it....time will tell

2015 Fleetwood Expedition Pusher
Towing a VW Beetle Convertible
mikedawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service