Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Supplemental Brake Warning

Just a note of caution: I was recently traveling with some friends who were towing a vehicle with a Brake Buddy. He had unfortunately turned up the sensitivity too high and during bumps, etc. the supplemental brake system was engaging. His RV is a large diesel pusher coach and he never felt it. When we got to our destination (about 350 miles) his front brakes pads had burnt up and he needed new rotors. It ended up being a costly mistake.
I have a brake buddy and really don't know how to estimate where to set the sensitivity. I have mine at about 75% and it seems to work fine at that setting.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

We use a Blue Ox Patriot.

I set my camera (NOT phone... video too short) in the seat and recorded for a few miles as I adjusted.

Blue Ox says to only use 1,2 or 3 for a hybrid (Ford CMax) after watching the video I keep ours on 2.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #3

What did you see from the video that would have you set the aux. brake? Could you see the car braking?

Ron & Joanne
Bella The chihuahua
2014 Georgetown XL 377
2007 Jeep Liberty
ron377ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

Yes the movement of the pedal was visible.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
JBP

Good idea. never thought of that. I set mine about midway. i forgot the setting but leaving tomorrow and I will check it.
If I understand the Brake Buddy applied the brakes too hard and never completely released them?
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
JBP

Just talked to the tech at Brake Buddy. He indicated that mid range was generally were we should run. So about 3 for most of us will work best. He said that the design should not let the BB put the brakes on and not release them. He did say the a big enough bump and the B could be turned up in such a way the the weight of the BB would apply pressure to the brake peddle and not release the brakes. I ask him if we could use a strap attached to seat that would prevent that. He said we could but to be careful and make sure that the BB was not tilted. This would effect the operation of it. He also said that the BB should be on carpet not plastic floor mate. Care should be taken to make sure that slack between the BB and the brake peddle.
Here is the phone number for BB technical support. 1-800-470-2287. I have call several times and they are very good at explaining. They don't seem to mind questions.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 11-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. I will back off my sensitivity.
I will also pass the info on to my friend. His brake buddy did not stick as far as I know, but there is no way to know for sure. Apparently my friend had the sensitivity turned so high that any movement caused the brakes to apply. The unit seems to have worked as it was designed, and he now adjusts it to a lower sensitivity.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

I know that if you don't use bleed brake button after each time you run vehicle,it will apply to much pressure to brakes, so much so it can burn up brakes.

Ron & Joanne
Bella The chihuahua
2014 Georgetown XL 377
2007 Jeep Liberty
Old 11-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

With past heavy tow loads with my F350 I always used a setting a little below mid range. The large brakes in the tow vehicle should do most of the work. Light braking for the toad is all you need.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
JBP

ron377ts they did not say anything about the bleed brake button. I don't think mine has that. Yours maybe newer than mine.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 11-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #11

There should be a button that when pressed the piston cycles 5 times. That bleeds the air from brake system. The piston is set for power brake with no power assist.

Ron & Joanne
Bella The chihuahua
2014 Georgetown XL 377
2007 Jeep Liberty