Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

surburban water heater

Just came back from our second camping trip and was wondering if anyone had a simular experience that the hot water tank shut off and trips the reset. If I shut it off and turn it back on, everthing is fine,the hot water tank goes on. Is this normal? I keep the water tank on the whole trip, is this okay or should I shut it off at night? We have a 2012 350 georgetown with a 10 gallon tank (surburban). Thanks in advance.
bojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojack View Post
hot water tank shut off and trips the reset.
Trips the reset threw me.

The DC high limit switch?
The AC high limit switch?
The GFCI?
The main AC circuit breaker?
The DC Fuse?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #3

reset

the reset button next to the water heater switch on the control panel inside the coach. Sorry about that.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
the reset button next to the water heater switch on the control panel inside the coach. Sorry about that.
Still confused. Sorry.
Are you talking about a light?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

The "reset" light is only used when the water heater is running on gas.

If the burner fails to light the red light will come on. It will "re-try" to light 3 times and lock out. Turning the switch off; then on will start the re-try clock again.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #6

That's what I ment,thank you.The reset light comes on and stays on, I do shut the power switch off and back on again and then the water heater goes on. Is it normal for the water heater to go out after it has been on all day and then you have to turn it off and then on again to reset it, also is it okay to leave it on all the time you are camping?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

We leave our WH on all the time. It is not normal for the WH to go out. It sounds like you have a problem with the gas supply or have a spider problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
That's what I ment,thank you.The reset light comes on and stays on, I do shut the power switch off and back on again and then the water heater goes on. Is it normal for the water heater to go out after it has been on all day and then you have to turn it off and then on again to reset it, also is it okay to leave it on all the time you are camping?
OK, The 10 Gallon Suburban Water Heater Manual is in the Files Section of the Forum.

1) The water heater only runs when the water needs to heat up (water temperature below 100 degrees).

2) It knows it needs heat, because the 12 volt DC power switch is on and the high limit switch is closed (Opens at 120 degrees). This sends 12 VDC power to the spark and propane control board.

3) The Control board sends 12VDC to the propane solenoid that opens and lets gas out into the combustion tube. It also sends a spark signal to the spark control and 12VDC to the "reset" light.

4) The control board will open the propane valve for 15 seconds to purge the gas lines prior to sending the spark signal.

5)The spark lights the propane and heats the water.

6) The board continues to provide 12VDC to the propane solenoid AND the RESET light until the high limit switch opens at water temp 120 degrees.

If no ignition, the board will re-try the light cycle. A light cycle is a 15 second purge followed by spark. It will do this 3 times and lock out the control board. It may take many cycles if the propane lines are empty.

If you turn off the gas when you are not using it; then turn the gas on and try to get hot water you may experience the symptoms you describe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	15806  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Water Heater swinstall.pdf (2.23 MB, 26 views)
Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

OK, back.

My thoughts run similarly (propane problem).

1) You are shutting off the gas at the cylinder when you don't need hot water instead of shutting off the water heater switch. (long purge times may fill the lines eventually and then it runs fine.)

or

2) You have a blockage in the flue that is causing an over rich mixture that will not burn. (Lock out helps clear the rich mixture and allows a light).
Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Mine does the same thing. I called my dealer and he said probably spider webs. I haven't used a pipe cleaner yet to see if there are any in there. If it's not that, it may be a bad valve.

Tags
led pad