Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Surge Protector

Do you all us a surge protector? Plug in or hard wire?
We have never used one in our fifth wheels but the Georgetown has so many more things to protect.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Team

I got one for my tt and it's a plug in type. I really wanted to have it hard wired but there are pros and cons for that too. I opted for easy and cheaper instead. Besides I can take it with me if I upgrade later on.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Portable Surge Guard - Product - Camping World

I bought one of these; thinking it was a marginal purchase; e.g. "is it really necessary?" Well, it actually did "kick in" once this year in Arkansas. Power came back on in a couple of minutes but it must have detected an anomaly.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

My Franks Voltage Booster has integral surge protection.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #5

Surge Protector

I installed a wired in unit after thinking about the cost of a device hanging outside my MH. Its kind of asking to "walk away". Though my experience with RV'ers is that seem more honest than the general public I didn't want to tempt anyone nor did I want to tempt myself.

I could see the following scenario. I pull in get mostly set up, leveled and slides out. I plug in and no power and the unit shows a specific error condition like low power or wrong polarity, etc. Either I get a meter and check voltage or I remove the external protector and try it again. Then I'd hear the boom of something failing. Instead, I wait for the loud click of the relay allowing good power into my coach. So far its cut off a few times for seconds and it refused to allow power from one plug at a fairgrounds - I moved. Otherwise, I barely notice it.

You can get locks for the external units. If you are pretty handy you can install a hardwired yourself. Just do it on a warm day with the wires sitting in the sun to make them flexible. I will copy a link below to a website showing my unit. Working with 50 amp capable thick wiring is not easy and especially when the cable is cool or cold. However, I got it done and its been flawless since. If I remember my unit came with a lifetime warranty as well. These things aren't cheap but neither is a new A/C unit, microwave, fridge or your PC. I wouldn't leave home without one.

Electrical Management System Hardwire 50A\240V
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #6

i have one at the computer. the control board in ur frig, heater, and hot water heater are powered by ur 12 volt supply. that in itself is an extra layer of protection from surge.
i was looking at hard wiring one in my utility box at one time (and may still do it one day). they bring the spike down to what a surge strip can handle. by putting one in the trailer u r also handling those spikes u produce.

the question i would ask u is if u have ur house on a surge protector? if not, why do u choose not to?
i believe the risk is low; that is why i am slow to put one on the trailer. i think they are a great idea though. sense i haven't had a loss, i find it hard to justify.
there are good arguments abt some of the non surge goodies some of surge suppressors have:
the missing ground, the hot and ground switched, low and high voltage shutdown. you can also buy a circuit tester for abt $3 u can plug into the campground that do the wiring test at a glance, before u plug ur trailer in.
it's whatever u r comfortable with. there are those that have seen surge suppressors knocked out everyday and there are those, like myself that hasn't experienced it...yet.
from what i've seen of the ones that wire into ur breaker box, they aren't that hard to do.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
Do you all us a surge protector? Plug in or hard wire?
We have never used one in our fifth wheels but the Georgetown has so many more things to protect.
if u've already decided to buy one, i would suggest a hard wired one. that way if something happens with ur power cord; maybe ground or neutral not making good connection, i would think it would have a better chance of protecting u. my thinking is the closer u can get to what ur protecting the better.
u may also want to check the internet for whole house suppressors that are wired into ur breaker box. u may find them to be a viable alternative.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #8

Here's a good reason for a surge protector on your RV.

Ten Minutes is All It Took!!! - Fort Fiends
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
Here's a good reason for a surge protector on your RV.

Ten Minutes is All It Took!!! - Fort Fiends
when i read stories like that and see all the other trailers around that were unaffected. i tend to believe that either every other camper must have been protected by a surge suppressor or the conclusion is a stretch of the facts.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #10

Surge

I would agree that destructive surges are extremely rare. However, I compete in canine agility and visit lots of fairground sites. Some of the wiring looks to be older than I am. It's used weekly by folks who are generally in a big hurry and don't care. They are there to show livestock or whatever the fairground is doing that week. Paving is optional and connection boxes get lots of water in rain and from sprinklers.

Home power is way more stable than the sometimes junk we find at campgrounds and where ever we hook up. Utilities do a good job of keeping up the quality of the transmission system since executives get paid for quality of service measurements. Of course that excludes P.G. & E. here in Northern California where they barbeque their customers with faulty gas lines. Though I have to say that a few times a year I read about a home lost due to an "electrical fire". So it does happen. Surge related, maybe, maybe not.

As I walk around RV parking I'm seeing more and more of the external surge protectors. So folks are seeing the value. Insurance is not for everyone. Some folks can afford to take a big hit and just replace the damage. For a few hundred bucks, why not rest easy?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #11

when ur dealing with something that is hastily put together, u really don't know what u have.
i have yet to see a surge suppressor on a campground that i've stayed in. i had lots of looks when i put a box outside to supply two circuits to my trailer. the electrical may be more stable where i camp.
i don't disagree with having a surge suppressor. they definitely will do more good than harm.
i believe the article in one of the above post does more to turn people away from surge suppressors than it helps. when something is overhyped, i get sceptical and start looking for someone's hand in my pocket.
in 2004 we went to glacier park. stayed in a campground abt 2 to 3 miles from the entrance. they showed me a pig tail adapter that had been used by one of the campers. the part that plugged into the trailer was burnt. said it had been in use for a few days and when found smoking, the wires were hot and the breaker had not thrown. their conclusion was that the smoke at the trailer was due to the use of an adapter. when i looked at it, the contacts had obviously been arcing. arcing will melt insulation without throwing the breaker. that's why i would like to know the facts around an incident rather than the conclusion.
i'm skeptical of the article in the above post. the person that posted it here was just trying to convey the info...not their article.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #12

Surge Protection | Electrical | This Old House - 1
i found this article abt surge suppression. they tell u the standard to look for and why u take a multi layer approach. currently standard is UL 1449 rev 3.
in their approach, the line suppressor knocks it down to what a suppressor at the sensitive equipment can handle.
the item i had been toying with is the eaton whole house version Complete Home Surge Protection-CHSPT2MICRO at The Home Depot
what u will need will be a couple vacant slots in ur breaker box. for me. that means i will have to either mount a sub box and handle the large cord or change some of the breakers to doubles to give the two dedicated slots needed. u will have to wire to them with #14 wire.

if u read the article, the concern (that i had) abt the near by lightning strike was a problem if it was within a mile. if u get a direct hit, i doubt anything will protect u.

this will give u an alternative to look into.

i don't know if home depot handles them but eaton also offers a version that simply plugs into the breaker slots. cost abt $15 more.
last year, when i looked into this device, it was out of stock. they are in in stock now but u have to order them. home depot had the best price and free shipping. u can find this same item on the internet for anywhere from $30 more to $200 more.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Since my 2011 378TS did not have an automatic transfer switch on it I installed one with a surge protector in it. It works great and no more having to plug the power cord into a box to use the generator. It only cost about $240.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #14

Bang for the buck?

Anyone have any ideas, pro or con, if this type surge suppresser is a good buy or a waste of money. $85 with shipping. Thanks in advance.

RV PORTABLE SURGE GUARD POWER PROTECTOR 120V 30AMP TRC | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	634f_12.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	7444  
Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd
Anyone have any ideas, pro or con, if this type surge suppresser is a good buy or a waste of money. $85 with shipping. Thanks in advance.

RV PORTABLE SURGE GUARD POWER PROTECTOR 120V 30AMP TRC | eBay
The item is made by Surge Guard http://www.trci.net/products/surge-g...-wground-fault so imagine it would work as performed ( do not have one but was interested after I saw the price so I did a little googling)

Only reviews were below, all loved it

http://www.dyersonline.com/review/product/list/id/8/
Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

http://www.stopsurges.com/GE-GENERAL...-THQLSURGE.htm

installed in the first position on each leg of my power panel.

I have a Meter mount surge suppressor on the meter and I still use high end surge suppressors on my computer and AV equipment at the plugs.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #17

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the Surge Guard for it's convenience properties and hope I never have to write a negative review. Herk, your GE THQLSURGE looks to offer permanent protection but I'd need a gnome to install one with the space allotted in my rig. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Thank's all for your help. I ordered the hard wired Surge Guard from Camping World.
They have it on special. There are to many electronics in our new Georgetown for me not to take every step I can to protect them.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
The item is made by Surge Guard 30A Portable w/Ground Fault | Technology Research Corporation so imagine it would work as performed ( do not have one but was interested after I saw the price so I did a little googling)

Only reviews were below, all loved it

Surge Guard 30 Amp Portable RV Surge Guard - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical
According to the salesman at CW this unit cannot be reset so if it comes into play you will need to replace it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #20

when u get the strip to protect ur television, get one that offers protection for spikes coming thru the coax. usually, the high end ones have this feature as well as phone line protection.
i have seen only one tv that had lightning damage and that came thru the ant connection. (in a home...not a trailer). sense a lightning storm had passed thru, i questioned the source. thought it had come thru the electrical. damage to the tv was in the ant/tuner area.
at home, i've seen more problems with surges thru the phone line. don't know why sense it is buried. now days, i doubt if many hook up to the phone line. the campground cable yes.