Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Portable or Hardwired?
Portable - EMS-PT50C 23 48.94%
Hardwired - EMS-HW50C 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #21
nosaint3

A fellow camper had problems with the 50 Amp external protector. Another camper, an electrician in the past, tore it apart and found water in various spots inside and a soaked sponge. He got it dried out and resealed and works like used. I've decided that plastic covers work fine. In the future when mine goes bad I will opt for the built in and when I win the lottery, will add the voltage regulator.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #22

Just posted this in another thread:

Was talking to a friend yesterday about doing the hardwired version. He proceeded to show me his portable one, it was melted due to a bad pedestal he said if had a hardwired one it would have fried everything up to the protector. After seeing that I think I will go with a portable.

Is he wrong?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #23

If I had a good spot to mount a permanent surge protector I probably would have done so. It happens that my TT has no cabinet near the power connection on the trailer, so I ordered the 30 Portable, and love it.

I have found that due to varying mast configurations and sockets that I would sometimes have trouble maintaining a connection at the mast. Due to the weight of the unit it actually fell out a couple of times. Up here often you have to share the mast with another camper unit, and the water supply is at the mast, so you may not have control over what is happening to the protector at all times.

My power inlet on the TT is right at the left rear corner, so I chain and padlock the protector to the rear bumper, then just run an extension from the mast to the protector. I know I'm running an extra 25' of cable, but so far no problems, and the unit is farther away from prying eyes. Only takes a minute, and no hassle trying to make everything fit. Keeps it dry, safe, and out of the way.
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Just posted this in another thread:

Was talking to a friend yesterday about doing the hardwired version. He proceeded to show me his portable one, it was melted due to a bad pedestal he said if had a hardwired one it would have fried everything up to the protector. After seeing that I think I will go with a portable.

Is he wrong?
It was "hot" "melted" because of a bad connection.
It wouldn't have mattered if you had a portable , hardwired or nothing!

Did his surge guard protect against low voltage?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
It was "hot" "melted" because of a bad connection.
It wouldn't have mattered if you had a portable , hardwired or nothing!

Did his surge guard protect against low voltage?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
It was a Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System. If it was hardwired wouldn't have fried the service up to the protector? I would rather hardwire the Progressive Industries EMSHW50C but, after hearing his story I would be concerned about damage. I am not Mr. Wizard on this kinda stuff I am just looking for input. I plan on keeping my rig for a while so I have no problem with a permanent installation.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
It was a Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System. If it was hardwired wouldn't have fried the service up to the protector? I would rather hardwire the Progressive Industries EMSHW50C but, after hearing his story I would be concerned about damage. I am not Mr. Wizard on this kinda stuff I am just looking for input. I plan on keeping my rig for a while so I have no problem with a permanent installation.
If there was an issue voltage wise the unit would have shut down.

It almost had to be a bad connection.

If the connection was that bad it wouldn't have mattered if he had a surge protector or not.

Maybe someone else has and idea.

From what I understand it may have had high resistance causing high amps and heat.
It just doesn't seem right that the only damage was done in that short distance to the ems portable.

did the ems shut power off?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #27

Quote:
If there was an issue voltage wise the unit would have shut down.

It almost had to be a bad connection.

If the connection was that bad it wouldn't have mattered if he had a surge protector or not.

Maybe someone else has and idea.

From what I understand it may have had high resistance causing high amps and heat.
It just doesn't seem right that the only damage was done in that short distance to the ems portable.

did the ems shut power off?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
I am not sure if he was even hooked up to his rig. If I remember correctly and that is not a sure thing I think it happened as soon as he plugged it in. I will talk to him and get back to you.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I am not sure if he was even hooked up to his rig. I will talk to him and get back to you.
Sounds good.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Sounds good.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
OK so I talked with him. He said he was hooked up for about 6 hours when the surge occurred. I asked him If the pigtail from the Pedestal to protector was fried he said no just the protector so I guess it would be safe to hardwire one inside but, what do I know?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Come on dude. If you have 1 oz. of ability you can hardwire the EMS. You don't need a poll to make you decide. It's what your gut tells you what the best is in your situation. If you know what end of a hammer to use, go for it.
Here's a freebie for you.....there are the cheapest by far for EMS. I bought one.
RV Parts | RV Accessories | Motorhome Parts | RV Supplies | MakariosRV
That is the cheapest I have ever saw. You are correct....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #31

I installed an EMS-LCHW50 hardwired inside the basement cord compartment. It's protected from weather and theft.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #32

Just purchase the EMS-LCHW50 for my 2015 GT 351DS. Anyone install this unit in your 351DS. The space is tight.., where did you install it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443371137.010044.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	90042

Mr. G

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #33

I have the portable version and it has saved me many times. Great investment. But sorry I can't help you with the location.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #34

The only place close I can locate is where the 120v gray cable go to the outlet. I was thinking on mounting it the bit raising it over the 120v cable. Maybe use some spacers or build a bracket to clear the cable??

Mr. G

Old 09-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #35

Ours is right where the grey cable is, bolted on the wall. We had the dealer install prior to picking it up. I will look for a photo, I am not sure if I have one and we don't store it nearby.....
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #36

I can suggest based on having owned and used both. I started with the portable when I owned my ERA class B motorhome. I now own a 33' Wildcat Maxx TT and had the dealer install/hardwire my Progressive 50 AMP unit in my TT. I much prefer the hardwired unit for the following reasons:

1) the portable unit is plugged into the post so it's relative unsecured.
2) You have no idea of what's going on with your power after you initially plugin into your unit since the readout is external to your unit.
3.) I felt it was just 1 more thing to do when setting up camp and if the Progressive unit shut off the power due to a lightning strike, etc, I had to go outside to reset it.

No question in my mind, the extra cost of the hardwired unit was $$ well spent!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #37

One possible location is to relocate the converter to the ceiling of your cargo hull and then mount the EMS in the converters location.
Also how much lead do you have coming from the power cord?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #38

I agree on the portable unit which I have. I am planning to cut my cord and add plugs so I can have my portable unit locked inside the bay, and be connected online
That way if it does get damaged, I can still run unprotected from the pedestal until the unit is replaced or fixed. Note the progressive unit has an minutes warranty.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #39

Surge Protector/EMS

[QUOTE=360true;995208]I agree on the portable unit which I have. I am planning to cut my cord and add plugs so I can have my portable unit locked inside the bay, and be connected online
That way if it does get damaged, I can still run unprotected from the pedestal until the unit is replaced or fixed. Note the progressive unit has an minutes warranty.

Will that effect the warranty or did I misunderstand what cord you were cutting?
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #40

ChrissndGarren- is your 120v receptacle relocated? I was looking and this may be an option to go.

Just looking to see what's the easiest to relocate.

Mr. G