View Poll Results: Portable or Hardwired?
Portable - EMS-PT50C 18 43.90%
Hardwired - EMS-HW50C 23 56.10%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Surge Protector/EMS

I've decided on adding the Progressive Industries EMS Surge Protector. However, I'm struggling with hardwired or portable. My search on this has resulted in no definitive answer.

Here it is:
1. Portable - EMS-PT50C, or
2. Hardwired - EMS-HW50C

I'm going to leave the decision up to those on this forum, who so far, have provided me with great advice. "Vote now, vote often"; I'll decide on Friday.

2013 Georgetown 350 XL
2009 Pontiac Vibe toad
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
I installed the hardwired version in my Columbus 365rl. It's nice because you can replace the board in it if it blows. Plus you can switch it off for when I'm using my generator

Columbus 365RL
Powered by a Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel
armulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Definate vote for the hardwired unit. Have one in my Lexi and has already saved me once. Plus, hardwired in means one less item to worry about when you leave for any length of time.
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Installed the hardwired version as the first option we bought. Can't be "borrowed" by others, and you can't forget to take it with you when you leave.

What's the damage gonna cost to your electronic toys if you don't have one?

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
I'm struggling with the same--hard-wired or portable. I was first going with hard-wired for the reasons given above. BUT later changed my mind to go with the portable because someone on a forum (not sure if it was this one) said as soon as they plugged into the electric they could tell there was a problem--so they unplugged right away and called the CG maintenance. Could it have caused a problem if they plugged into the electric, went into the camper and turned lights and A/C on before checking? I honestly don't know--that's why I'm asking. I also saw there's a gizmo to lock up the portable so it doesn't get stolen.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Uh oh--I meant to reply to the thread--now I can't find my post. Did I only reply to you, kenandterry?

EDIT: Forget this post--my other showed up....duh!
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
I agree with the hardwired's, but I'll chime in on the other side of the fence. It may not always suit your needs if you dry camp much, it's nice to have a portable to check multiple camp outlets without having to move your rig, and if it goes "poof"... it's better to happen outside your rig than tucked inside your internals.

Cost wise.. hardwired seems to run a bit less expensive. Certainly more secure from sticky fingers and you don't have to worry about the weather.

It's really a decision you need to make that will best suit your camping preferences.

I really got a kick out of one poster on a similar thread... to paraphrase.. lifetime warranty! As the feller stands watching his burned out TT being pushed into the landfill with his brand new EMS replacement in hand.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Hardwired! If you are thinking of portability, you can add plugs to the ends of the hardware installation and the unit is completely portable or bypassed. This works better if your unit is a 30 amp, as the 50 amp plugs can be expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
I have the portable. I can bypass it quickly if it should ever have a problem. That's just me. I think either one is a must have. Mine saved me twice on a trip to Texas last spring.
2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Come on dude. If you have 1 oz. of ability you can hardwire the EMS. You don't need a poll to make you decide. It's what your gut tells you what the best is in your situation. If you know what end of a hammer to use, go for it.
Here's a freebie for you.....there are the cheapest by far for EMS. I bought one.

2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote