Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
Surge Protector Progressive Industries SSP50 vs. PT50C

Hey folks,

we´re RV newbies and come across the not unimportant topic "electric protection". Here are a lot of discusions about different types/ brands of protectors.

Progressive Industries is very often named and should have a very good reputaion

BUT.... I didn´t get the REAL differenz between the SSP50 ( Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge: Automotive) and the PT50C (, except the difference of about 200$ at Amazon.

Can somenone explain in easy words (for a non electrition) where the real difference is? Why do I need e.g. a protection about LOW voltage?!

Do I need the 200$ difference?

BTW we´re brandnew fulltimer (from Germany) with an 04 Georgetown 34ft, traveling the US and CN for the next 1-2 years.

Looking forward to your help in finding a decision.

Tomenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
There is a big difference between the two products. The SSP-50 surge protector does simply that. It protects against power surges that can be caused by power fluctuations, lightning strikes, and heavy electrical loads being switched on and off. The SSP-50 will also indicate with LEDs if a campground outlet is incorrectly wired. The LEDs allow you to test a campground outlet for certain faults before attaching your motorhome power cord.

The more expensive EMS-PT50C does much more. When first connected to the campground outlet, it performs a series of tests for incorrect wiring, high and low voltage, and frequency. If all the tests pass, then a big relay inside the device will allow power through to your motorhome. The power is constantly monitored, and if any faults are detected, the power is automatically shut off. The EMS-PT50C also has surge protection like the SSP-50.

Most of us would recommend the more expensive unit. Low voltage is very common at older campgrounds here in the USA. This can cause damage to your air conditioning compressor as well as other electronics inside your motorhome. On a hot day when many campers are using their air conditioning, the voltage can easily drop due to the electrical demand. The PT-50 will disconnect the power if it drops below 104 volts or is above 132 volts. Power is automatically restored when the voltage is safe again. High voltage is less likely, but can occur if there is an accident.

I recommend the internally installed version EMS-LCHW50 or the similar version with a remote display EMS-HW50. Because these models are installed inside the compartment where your power cord is located, they are protected from weather and theft.

I have an EMS-LCHW50 installed in my Georgetown, and there have been several times when it disconnected the power to protect my air conditioner and other electronics because of low voltage. It has also prevented power going into my motorhome at a campground that had no ground connection, which could be a shock hazard. One time it detected and blocked power when there was a disconnected neutral, which is very dangerous. In the USA our power is 120 volts. A 50 amp campground outlet has two 120 volt connections with a single neutral return. If the neutral was disconnected, there is now 240 volts of power, and all the electrical devices in the motorhome would be damaged or destroyed.

Progressive Industries makes excellent products, and has great customer service. Many RV stores sell their products, so shop around on the internet to find the best price.

Progressive Industries

2010 Georgetown 373
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
DON'T forget about the lifetime warranty.

"sabre owners united!"

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
X2 on what Cornelius said. Spending more now may prevent spending alot more latter!
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
wow! Awesome answer Cornelius! Thanks for the goog excplanation!
Tomenka is offline   Reply With Quote