Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #91
MI Camperz

Is this the right one then? I would prefer portable. Seems Easier. Easier is better, IMO. Have a honey do list 8 miles long. One less thing is a blessing.

Portable 30-amp Surge Protector with Voltage Protection - Progressive Industries Inc EMS-PT30C - Surge Protectors - Camping World.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I'm reading through this thread and just getting more confused.

Barry, do you have a link? That would help me filter out.
Yea, this tread is a mess. This one is much less polluted:
Surge Protection-Those that have one-what did you buy etc

In post #5 of that thread is the link to a low-price place to buy them, and Turbs gave you the link to their web-site above.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #93

Quote:
Is this the right one then? I would prefer portable. Seems Easier. Easier is better, IMO. Have a honey do list 8 miles long. One less thing is a blessing.

Portable 30-amp Surge Protector with Voltage Protection - Progressive Industries Inc EMS-PT30C - Surge Protectors - Camping World.
Yes, that's correct, and a very good price from Camping World. (They usually don't have them in-stock however so it may be a couple of weeks before it's shipped.)

I don't know if your RV is 30-amp or 50-amp. If it's 50-amp, you should really buy the 50-amp EMS, even if you're normally plugged in to 30-amp (unless you never use 50-amp service anywhere).
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #94

Quote:

Yes, that is the one you want.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #95
MI Camperz

We are plugged into 30 amp. Seasonal. I don't anticipate going anywhere with a 34' quite tall TT. That's too much! Our U.P. Michigan tour in August will be with a deluxe tent! LOL

Actually looking forward to being with the earth again.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #96
MI Camperz

Okay. Phew! Called to cancel order on first one just in time. Was able to order the right one from Camping World and will arrive in 5-7 business days. $275.00 out the door.

THANKS EVERYONE !!!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #97

Quote:

Yup, right one. Same one keeping an eye on the electricity going into my Sabre. Not to make the honey do list any longer but I built a box out of PT wood to keep it out of the elements and cable locked to the power pedestal. The cable runs thru the hole in the aluminum tab on the cord of the surge protector unit, thru a small drilled hole on each side of the box and wrapped tight around the pedestal. The combo part of the cable lock is inside the box on the right of the unit in second pic. Hope all this makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	28213   Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	28214  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #98
MI Camperz

Okay, now that we're getting this surge protector, what should I expect in terms of real life activity? Will my power shut off from time to time and then I say, Okay, that's the surge protector working? Do I have to actively read the display for any particular information?
I really need to get a handle on this as simply as possible.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #99
MI Camperz

Wiscampsin

Great Pics. Thanks so much! We can build that! We build boxes! LOL
Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #100

Nice part of the hard wired unit is that you can see/read the remote display from inside your camper. But, seeing a surge protector unit that fried I personally wanted to keep the unit away from the inside on my camper. I check the display on mine about once a week, or after a big storm, or if it's really hot when alot of AC units are running on my loop.