Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #41

Just curious. Why didn't you order the Progressive Industries unit? With a lifetime warranty and"Made in USA" it's usually an easy choice.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #42

Let me throw a little food for thought out here. Hard wiring the suppressor has it's definite advantages: convenient and not likely to get stolen. BUT, when a surge suppressor has to swallow a surge larger than it can handle, such as a nearby lightning strike, bad things happen. The suppressor can explode and/or catch on fire. As for me, I would rather the conflagration is occuring out at the pedestal, rather than inside my camper. Again, just a little food for thought.

Bob

2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #43

I don't know. I've seen warnings that the MOV spike suppressors can "explode", which is why they have to be fused. All reasonable spike suppressors do have them fused. Do you have any links/documentation of RV spike suppressors blowing up? I'd like to read it.

If I drive by your campsite, will I see your converter, microwave, and TV sitting at the pedestal as well, 'cause they can certain explode with a very close lightening strike as well?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr
Let me throw a little food for thought out here. Hard wiring the suppressor has it's definite advantages: convenient and not likely to get stolen. BUT, when a surge suppressor has to swallow a surge larger than it can handle, such as a nearby lightning strike, bad things happen. The suppressor can explode and/or catch on fire. As for me, I would rather the conflagration is occuring out at the pedestal, rather than inside my camper. Again, just a little food for thought.

Bob
I agree with you, have seen it happen, so does N.E.C. The authority of all elctric rules issued ( including Insurance companies). No one says don't use them, just keep them outside the space. Note the fixed units cannot carry UL label. Don't save your microwave and lose your rig. Fuses and breakers all carry a operating time to open, never fast enough to clear before a serious overload will cause a catastrophy. BTY its not just lightning will cause a failure, its rare but so's your RV.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Note the fixed units cannot carry UL label.
That is absolutely FALSE.

Both Progressive Industries and current SurgeGuard units are UL Listed.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #46

Barry, I have read stories in the past of this happening, but cannot locate them now. A Google search turns up a lot of stuff on suppressors from companies trying to sell you one, and not much on their product failures. Anyway, I am sure an exploding suppressor would definitely be a very rare occurance, and what you say is true in that they are fused to disconnect the circuit if things get ugly. It is the first line of defense, and most likely will give it's life without any fireworks to protect all of the downstream electronics, so no, you won't find my stuff out by the pedestal. But in extreme cases, a high enough voltage surge will simply blow the fuses and continue to arc across the blown fuse, and then it is up to the MOV transorbs to short the surge to ground and/or neutral. The MOVs will appear as a short circuit, so they will continue to conduct until the surge passes or they simply vaporize. Once the MOVs vaporize, all bets are off what can happen next.
I don't know, maybe I am being a little overly paranoid about it, and there may not be much difference, from a safety standpoint, where the suppressor is located. But personally, I would still feel more comfortable if it were outside.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706
That is absolutely FALSE.

Both Progressive Industries and current SurgeGuard units are UL Listed.
Sorry Barry, thought I was quoting the Mfg, maybe it ws Franks, and NEC.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #48

My Progressive Industries surge protector failed on our last camping trip. No explosion, didn't even see any of the magic smoke escape, but I sure wouldn't have been a happy camper if I had to remove a hard wired unit while at the camp site. If I went hard wired, I would certainly make sure I had everything with me if I needed to return it to stock if the protector fails.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #49
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post

Bob
X2...I chose to give up convenience and have our SurgeGuard hanging at the pedestal
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #50

X3 would rather have the problem outside instead of inside

massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote