Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #1

Swiveling driver and passenger chairs....

So I just realized that my front chairs are supposed to swivel.....very handy....but I am unable to figure out the passenger side. I can get it to turn but is is so close to the wall it can not turn more than a few inches. Am I missing something or is that just a design flaw?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

It works differently for different models.

You may have to tilt the seat back forward to clear the wall.
You may need to slide the seat forward on the track to clear the wall.
You may need to do a bit of both to clear the wall.

How’s the driver seat working for you turning around? Quite often they only turn 90 degrees because they hit the steering wheel.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
It works differently for different models.

You may have to tilt the seat back forward to clear the wall.
You may need to slide the seat forward on the track to clear the wall.
You may need to do a bit of both to clear the wall.

How’s the driver seat working for you turning around? Quite often they only turn 90 degrees because they hit the steering wheel.
I am able to turn the drivers seat pretty easily after moving it a little. It is farther from the wall. I will try out your suggestions. I appreciate it.

After more tinkering I am able to swivel it after moving the back all the way forward. There is a lever on the left that I assume is for forward and back but it does not budge. Figure I will get under there when I get make home tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:30 PM   #4

In ours the passenger seat turns going clock wise, so turn the seat towards window all the way around.
KWhite2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

KWhite2018....

If you turn the passenger seat clockwise (towards the window) doesn’t the seat/shoulder belt strapping get in the way?

In my case, I turn both seats with the backs towards the windows......clockwise for driver, counter-clockwise for passenger....to keep straps out of the way.

Only thing is.....the steering wheel in mine, stops the driver’s seat at 90 degrees.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 05-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #6

Ours swivel inwards (so away from the window) for both driver and passenger - I have to lean both the driver and passenger forward so they will swing around, but both will go all the way.
Try making sure your driver side is all the way back, then lean the seat forward, that's how we get ours to clear the steering wheel.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
KWhite2018....

If you turn the passenger seat clockwise (towards the window) doesn’t the seat/shoulder belt strapping get in the way?

In my case, I turn both seats with the backs towards the windows......clockwise for driver, counter-clockwise for passenger....to keep straps out of the way.

Only thing is.....the steering wheel in mine, stops the driver’s seat at 90 degrees.
Ken Mine turns counter clockwise. Tilt the steering wheel up all the way, move the seat counterclockwise until the seat is almost to the wall. Release the backrest and tilt the seat back forward towards the wall/windows, you will have to move the right arm rest up/down a bit to get it under the steering wheel, you may have to move the seat “back” a couple more inches while swiveling. Keep the backrest down (forward) and it will swivel completely. CAUTION: check the wiring harness below the seat. Mine was wrapped too tight and pulled apart the plugs...once you get the seat swiveled, you can move it “forward” (into the living room) put the seat back reclined as you want. Do the opposite to return to driving position..the key is the seat back tilting forward and moving the right arm rest as you swivel..
Old 05-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
So I just realized that my front chairs are supposed to swivel.....very handy....but I am unable to figure out the passenger side. I can get it to turn but is is so close to the wall it can not turn more than a few inches. Am I missing something or is that just a design flaw?

Mine was the same and I moved it all the way forward and now it clears the seat belt shoulder strap. It doesn’t move forward that easy but it worked
coffeegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

mkekflyers.....

I have contributed to this topic since the beginning of time about turning the driver’s seat around. Unlike assembly line automobiles (cars/trucks/SUVs) the bolts securing the seats to the floor are not in the exact same position for every year or every model. No matter what way....clockwise or counter-clockwise, my seat will hit the steering wheel (tilted all the way up)

To see my reference point from the start.....

My steering wheel is tilted all the way up. (or tilted forward as some would say)
My seat is all the way to the rear on it’s track.....as far back as possible.
At this point, we’ll say my the seat back is positioned straight up.
Looking down from directly overhead (pretend you’re looking down from the ceiling), the bottom of my steering wheel is positioned 3-4” over the seat from the front of the seat.

No matter what, given this starting point.....I’m going to hit the steering wheel turning in either direction at just past the 90 degree position.

What location is your seat in comparison to the steering wheel compared to mine as described above?

Ken and Terry
Old 05-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

I find it funny that there’s a whole thread about swiveling our seats[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

We spent a good amount of time learning the best way without ripping the leather on the arm rests and it have the back hit the window.

If ours wasn’t in the shop I would go out and double check and video it.

Maybe our 2018 is different than other years.

The original poster asked about the passenger side.
I swear I swivel it clock wise because the natural way would be just one little turn to the left but I swear I went the opposite way which is longer.
KWhite2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
mkekflyers.....

I have contributed to this topic since the beginning of time about turning the driver’s seat around. Unlike assembly line automobiles (cars/trucks/SUVs) the bolts securing the seats to the floor are not in the exact same position for every year or every model. No matter what way....clockwise or counter-clockwise, my seat will hit the steering wheel (tilted all the way up)

To see my reference point from the start.....

My steering wheel is tilted all the way up. (or tilted forward as some would say)
My seat is all the way to the rear on it’s track.....as far back as possible.
At this point, we’ll say my the seat back is positioned straight up.
Looking down from directly overhead (pretend you’re looking down from the ceiling), the bottom of my steering wheel is positioned 3-4” over the seat from the front of the seat.

No matter what, given this starting point.....I’m going to hit the steering wheel turning in either direction at just past the 90 degree position.

What location is your seat in comparison to the steering wheel compared to mine as described above?
Ken - -
All do respect, are you releasing your seat back and tilting it forward at about the 45 degree point when swiveling the chair? You haven’t mentioned that step, or I missed it. I’m out of state for a couple days. When I get home I’ll go to my rig and video how mine works...hope I can help. I’ll shoot you a PM when I get it done and send it to your home e-mail...

mark
Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

Mark....

I’d still like to have you check how close your seat (not the seat back) is to the steering wheel with it as far back as possible in the track. Are you under the steering wheel by 3-4”?

BTW....I do not have a power seat if that matters.

I’ll look forward to your findings once you’re home.

Ken and Terry
Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Mark....

I’d still like to have you check how close your seat (not the seat back) is to the steering wheel with it as far back as possible in the track. Are you under the steering wheel by 3-4”?

BTW....I do not have a power seat if that matters.

I’ll look forward to your findings once you’re home.
Remember when you swivel the seat you are changing the position of the bottom, when you come around the seat needs to slide all the way forward to clear the steering wheel, on my Class C I start with the seat back straight up, seat all the way back on the tracks as it comes around I pull the seat forward on the tracks to get it away from the steering wheel and the engine dog house, then tilt the back backwards.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

wahoonc....

Your statement......”as it comes around” can’t happen in my Georgetown.

As soon as the seat is 90 degrees to the steering wheel, you can’t tilt the seat back forward OR pull the seat forward on the tracks. The steering wheel is in the way. At 90 degrees, my seat is not going to clear the steering wheel.

Maybe none of you guys would like the track travel of my driver’s seat for driving. You might find it doesn’t go far enough away from the steering wheel and pedals for your arms and legs. It works for me, but my car allows my seat to be further back than the Georgetown allows.

Ken and Terry
Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
wahoonc....

Your statement......”as it comes around” can’t happen in my Georgetown.

As soon as the seat is 90 degrees to the steering wheel, you can’t tilt the seat back forward OR pull the seat forward on the tracks. The steering wheel is in the way. At 90 degrees, my seat is not going to clear the steering wheel.

Maybe none of you guys would like the track travel of my driver’s seat for driving. You might find it doesn’t go far enough away from the steering wheel and pedals for your arms and legs. It works for me, but my car allows my seat to be further back than the Georgetown allows.
Ken - mine is power but the travel should be about the same. You got me thinking..when mine is at 45 I can move the seat “back” (diagonal) but since it’s powered it may have a lateral travel track that yours doesn’t...i’ll Have to look...
Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #16

On my 2014 378, the passenger seat swivels easily. In order to turn the driver's seat....

Put the steering wheel all the way up

-Move the driver seat as far forward and as low as it will go

-Tilt the back forward

-Put the left armrest down as far as it will go

-Swivel the seat
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #17
Kanadian Kamper

I’d love to meet up with any of you that are saying how to turn the driver’s seat around, and have you apply your tricks to make it happen on my Georgetown. I’d gladly pay for your campsite location for the night if you could turn mine around with the seat back at the steering wheel and be able to sit in the seat comfortably.

Compare where your driver seat is at the beginning, and tell me your seat is the same distance and position from the steering wheel as mine.

It hits the steering wheel in mine every time.

Ken and Terry
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #18

Driver Seat Swivel

My chair hits the steering wheel also, but with a bit of soft encouragement, it moves past.....
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #19

Question Front Seat Movement

On my 2015 Georgetown 252 both seats turn 180 degrees. The secret is take your time. Make necessary changes to the geometry as described above. They are designed to swivel. My passenger seat is now easier to turn. I installed two 1/2 inch nuts to the two front seat bolts to raise it upward. It always felt like it was throwing you forward. As an added benefit it now has more clearance for swiveling. It sets better in both positions too. The drivers seat (electric) only requires moving it back, moving seat back forward, adjusting the arm so it passes under the steering wheel which is in the full raise position. By the way, both units on mine turn toward the center of the unit.

Swear words available on request.

Machine Shop motto: If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #20

Quote:
I’d love to meet up with any of you that are saying how to turn the driver’s seat around, and have you apply your tricks to make it happen on my Georgetown. I’d gladly pay for your campsite location for the night if you could turn mine around with the seat back at the steering wheel and be able to sit in the seat comfortably.

Compare where your driver seat is at the beginning, and tell me your seat is the same distance and position from the steering wheel as mine.

It hits the steering wheel in mine every time.
I have been fighting this battle with our 2008 373 with power seats also. Previous owner said it just doesn't swivel. It seems to be the only class A MH I have seen that the seats will not swivel past 90 degrees.

I may go out after coffee this morning and try some different seat positions, etc. We really want to use the captains chairs.

2008 Georgetown 373DS
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote