Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Tankless Hot Water Heater

Has anyone done the conversion? I've read some other forum threads and it doesn't seem like many positive opinions of them. However, I'm attracted to the "endless hot water" concept since I have two teenagers. I'm looking at the Atwood and I know Girard has one as well. Thoughts and comments appreciated! Atwood On-Demand Water Heater - 50,000 BTU - Atwood Mobile 90205 - Water Heaters - Camping World

Cumming, GA
2013 Georgetown 351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
None that I have heard from.
Are you expecting to get more hat water longer?
I have a 10 gal water heater and never run out.
That is with both electric and gas on.
The tank less water heater is nice but for probably $1,000 installed is not economically worth it in any RV.

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
We have never run out of hot water even when son & his wife are with us. We do navy showers, whether we are boondocking or in a campground.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
I did the convert on my old TT it was Really nice for the water run, but the disadvantages sucked. first you regulate temp by adjusting flow so to get you temp right you are at about half pressure. then you have to let the water stabilize( meaning on time of year if inlet hose on ground outside is hot or cold you want to let all that water run thru system or when it hits the temp sensor in the heater will really scald you. In my opinion not worth the cost and headaches.
red smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
I like the tankless Girard as it saves on propane (heat on demand) and I don't have to listen to the heater in the middle of the night heating water for no reason. I tried turning the tank type off at night but it's a pain turning it on in the morning and waiting.

I use the hot water to brush my teeth. By the time it is hot I am ready for the hot water.

I hope this helps.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Teach your teens to use the shut off button on the shower head and do this: Get hair and body wet, shut of water, lather up, rinse off and they are done. Oh, never mind, they are teens. We have a 6 year old that already thinks he knows everything.

Not sure about your water heater, but I can take a nice long shower without running out of water with it running all the time until I'm done. Maybe you could stager their showers to allow the tank to heat up again. Not sure what size the tank is, but it lasts for quite a while since there isn't that much water pressure.
2014 Georgetown 351DS
-TruCenter -Front/Rear CHF -Hellwig Links -Tiger Trak -Ran McNally GPS -ScanGauge -Truck Systems TPMS -5 Star Tune
alparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
we have a 10 gal W/H and with both electric and gas turned on we never run out of hot water, I shave in shower and also brush teeth and by no means do I hurry I wait approx. 10-15 minutes after wife showers before I jump in.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378XL
2015 Ford Taurus
Our Baby Dachshund
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
I had a Girard in my 2011 Melborne. Hated it. Wasted too much water trying to get the right water temp. Empty your fresh water tank and fill your grey to fast. Never could get it to work consistently. Coordinated for weeks with Girard Tech support. Tried lots of different things,. Finally said the heck with it and traded it in for my new Georgetown.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
after I got the bugs fixed the girard tankless is great, nothing like 20 minute HOT showers and then the kids do the same. I have to drain the gray tank after that because they can fill up a 80gal tank
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
I learned in the Navy that 5 minute showers were sufficient. Lol

Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote

heater, hot water, tank, water, water heater