Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #1

Temperature Sensor

Good morning everyone and I posted this in the Pet section and have heard nothing. I am curious to know if you have any answers or solutions.

Good Morning,

We're getting ready to take the big adventure in our new 364TS Georgetown with 2 kids and 3 Corgis's. We're staying at camps with the power. But, what if we gone and the power fails and we loose the AC while we're out. It can get hot in the rig. What temperature sensors systems do you recommend that will alert our IPhone? Plus we have several IPhones between kids and parents so if there is an App for the phone that will alert another phone that would be in great. There are Apps that tell you the temperature but I haven't found what I'm suggesting. Simple,,affordable suggestions will help with our peace of mind. Thank you.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

Double posting

The rules say......Do not post the same discussion topic more than once or in several areas of the forum.

This is frowned upon.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #3

I recall reading about a sensor and app for iPhone called Icelsius blue. I think the sensor cost about $40. I have no experience with it though.

Some Fantastic Fan models have self opening/closing lids and fans that can be set to temperature as well.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

I don't have a temperature sensor, but I do have a power fail monitor. It sends a text when the power goes off. Check on PumpAlarm.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
JBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #5

Here's a pretty neat free solution:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...itorfree&hl=en

Power Failure Monitor app for Android. Leave an old phone plugged in to a wall charger and if the power drops it will email and / or SMS you to let you know. Of course keep in mind the phone does need some kind of data connection. Ideally if you can put it on a cellular network then it works stand-alone. I'll be setting up a UPS system for our RV networking equipment so the wifi will continue to work for a while after the power drops. In a case like that you could just keep the phone on wifi with no cell connection and it can email you if the power drops.
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:13 AM   #6

I used my IPad to send an email photo of the thermometer in the Motorhome every 15 minutes to my phone. Worked well, both items need cell service. Sorry, can't remember the name monitoring software I used, but I believe there are several in the App Store.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:47 AM   #7

We travel with pets and this is also an issue we worry about. I considered something that would text me and would still like to install one but many times the places we stay have little or no cell service.
We did lose power once and almost lost our three Boston Terriers when the heat inside reached 95 degrees
After that I installed a generator auto start system that senses temperature and will start if it detects a high temperature due to loss of power to the AC's.
Nothing man made is still 100% reliable so we still try to leave the pets inside by themselves no longer than absolutely necessary and most times have someone nearby keep a check on our AC's if possible.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #8

Get a Piper camera it has temp and power etc...
You can even have a piper device start your generator it's great for our English Bull Dog who can't take temps in mid 70*s

GRD NY
gailrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

I use an iSocket. I bought a prepaid sim (TruPhone) and got set up and it works great anywhere there is GSM service. I use Att so if my phone won't work it doesn't matter. I use texts because they will come through eventually if I lose service temporary.
https://www.isocketsystems.com/en/

There is another product that works on the Verizon network, but it requires a contract.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
auto start

CJD10

What generator auto start system did you put on your gen that will senses temp and will start if High temp is detected due to power failure? Where did you buy it and get installed, what is the name and brand of this unit, what all is involved with installation? Thanks
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
CJD10

What generator auto start system did you put on your gen that will senses temp and will start if High temp is detected due to power failure? Where did you buy it and get installed, what is the name and brand of this unit, what all is involved with installation? Thanks
I have the Onan EC30W. Most places seem to be out of stock but the local Onan repair center was able to find one for me. There are two versions. One is wireless and one is hard wired. I have the wireless and installation was very easy. However, the wireless unit seems to be very finiky about keeping a signal if it is not in just the right location.
I found that most Onan centers are not familiar with this product. If you contact the center in Elkhart they are more knowledgeable and should be able to help you out.
Feel free to message me if you have more questions

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
cjd10, Thanks
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote