Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

The almost perfect ride.

A few days ago, we've completed a 1600 miles trip on the east coast. We had a mix of flat road, decent hills and the weather was somewhat windy.

We drove roughly 3 days doing 520+ miles per day. This was my first long trip with this RV since I bought it last september. I've done many camping trips (3 -4 days) but most of the time within 100 miles.

I have invested quite a bit of money on the handling side of the house from day 1 has my reading on this forum scrared me a bit when I bought my first Class A RV (F53).

The modifications;

- Firestone Air bags on each corners (double air bags for the rear axle)
- 20 lbs in fronts / 45 lbs in rear
- Koni's FSD shocks
- Safe T Plus
- BlueOx Rear track bar
- Centramatic wheel Balancers
- Most importantly, proper tire pressure on all 6 wheels (Monitoring with Eez-Tire T515) (92 lbs front / 95 rear @ cold temperature)

All I can say is the handling is superb! Most of my journey was driving with on hand @ 65 MPH...

The only time I had 2 hands on the steering was in construction zone in narrow lanes or 1 lane only with Jersey Barriers.

I've done the trip with a friend who just bought a brand new Georgetown 329 bone stock and we where communicating with walkie talkie and we have exchange rigs for 100 miles to try each other coach.

Am I glad to have spent that kind of money! Now I understand what there is so much discussion about handling and CHF for our F53.

Keep in mind that I haven't done the CHF since my link bars are curved on a 24,000lbs chassis and didn't came around to extend these inks yet. I have bought a spare set to eventually do it but don't know if it will make a difference with my current setup.

Driving my friend RV was very different and not a relaxing experience.

For all of you who are debating, don't! Do it! Now I understand why my neighbor never likes to go very far with his RV... but he was very happy to show off his porcelain tiles and outside entertainment systems that both cost more then all my modifications.

The fun starts when I leave my driveway, not when I reach the campground.

It's not a diesel pusher but it's a very nice, comfortable and safe ride.
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
Johnnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnya View Post
A few days ago, we've completed a 1600 miles trip on the east coast. We had a mix of flat road, decent hills and the weather was somewhat windy.

We drove roughly 3 days doing 520+ miles per day. This was my first long trip with this RV since I bought it last september. I've done many camping trips (3 -4 days) but most of the time within 100 miles.

I have invested quite a bit of money on the handling side of the house from day 1 has my reading on this forum scrared me a bit when I bought my first Class A RV (F53).

The modifications;

- Firestone Air bags on each corners (double air bags for the rear axle)
- 20 lbs in fronts / 45 lbs in rear
- Koni's FSD shocks
- Safe T Plus
- BlueOx Rear track bar
- Centramatic wheel Balancers
- Most importantly, proper tire pressure on all 6 wheels (Monitoring with Eez-Tire T515) (92 lbs front / 95 rear @ cold temperature)

All I can say is the handling is superb! Most of my journey was driving with on hand @ 65 MPH...

The only time I had 2 hands on the steering was in construction zone in narrow lanes or 1 lane only with Jersey Barriers.

I've done the trip with a friend who just bought a brand new Georgetown 329 bone stock and we where communicating with walkie talkie and we have exchange rigs for 100 miles to try each other coach.

Am I glad to have spent that kind of money! Now I understand what there is so much discussion about handling and CHF for our F53.

Keep in mind that I haven't done the CHF since my link bars are curved on a 24,000lbs chassis and didn't came around to extend these inks yet. I have bought a spare set to eventually do it but don't know if it will make a difference with my current setup.

Driving my friend RV was very different and not a relaxing experience.

For all of you who are debating, don't! Do it! Now I understand why my neighbor never likes to go very far with his RV... but he was very happy to show off his porcelain tiles and outside entertainment systems that both cost more then all my modifications.

The fun starts when I leave my driveway, not when I reach the campground.

It's not a diesel pusher but it's a very nice, comfortable and safe ride.
Johnnya......do you recommend the Centramatic wheel balancers...?

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #3

Good info, thanks!

I've sent an email to the Safe T Plus folks. Their website doesn't list one for my rig, and says to contact them. I have no doubt one of their products fit, just want to make sure I order the correct part.

FWIW, this rig does track better than my previous 1999 Fleetwood Bounder 36', also on the F53 chassis. But I plan on keeping this one for a while, and would like to improve it where I can.
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Aside from doing the CHF, I haven’t used any pennies in the piggy bank to update the FORD part so far. I used to drive school buses longer and farther than I can to remember, so I’ve been good with my rig to date, and how it handles.

Just for fun though Johnnya, got a ballpark figure for the upgrades you’ve done?

In the meantime, if we meet up, I’ll let you lead so I don’t hold you up

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote