Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #1

The Toad and Rear Sway Bar

Hey everyone I've been having a conversation with another member. We're just getting ready to pull a Toad for the first time. Do we need to upgrade the rear swag bar. We have a 2016 364ts and I've never pulled a Toad which is a new 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. We're getting the Jeep ready on the 14th to head out on a big adventure on the 22nd. Do I need to be concerned? Remember the 364 is 37'-6" in length with a considerable amount over handing the rear axle. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Thank You
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #2

We pull a Ford Explorer with ours with the blue ox tow bar. It tows great. No upgrades. When you tow with the trailer button on your transmission on. It uses the engine as a brake to save your real brakes. I would just hook it up and go as is. If it's a problem fix it for the next time but I was comfortable and the coach was made for it anyways.
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

2x on leave it to see.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walte1fr View Post
We pull a Ford Explorer with ours with the blue ox tow bar. It tows great. No upgrades. When you tow with the trailer button on your transmission on. It uses the engine as a brake to save your real brakes. I would just hook it up and go as is. If it's a problem fix it for the next time but I was comfortable and the coach was made for it anyways.

Thank you, I just need to chill and have a great adventure.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
2x on leave it to see.

Thank for the vote to chill.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #6

Hahahi started doing the same thing when we got ours in April. Was going to do this mod and that mod. The main one was to run tv off the inverter. Then I found out the generator burns half a gallon an hour. Screw it im running the generator and air conditioners ahhaha. I've found out it's already set up for everything to be tried. If it's uncomfortable after the first couple times there are always options. I was also going to do the away control arms. Yeah right. Now I'm just used to correcting when I pass a truck. The main thing I would look for which is on my fix list that needs to be done is the rear slide bounce when you're pulling it in. Mine has a slight bounce and has already pulled the wires. I have fixed the wires. Now I need to add roller rails to it. This forum has been a great resource for questions though. I've used it a lot thanks everyone
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walte1fr View Post
Hahahi started doing the same thing when we got ours in April. Was going to do this mod and that mod. The main one was to run tv off the inverter. Then I found out the generator burns half a gallon an hour. Screw it im running the generator and air conditioners ahhaha. I've found out it's already set up for everything to be tried. If it's uncomfortable after the first couple times there are always options. I was also going to do the away control arms. Yeah right. Now I'm just used to correcting when I pass a truck. The main thing I would look for which is on my fix list that needs to be done is the rear slide bounce when you're pulling it in. Mine has a slight bounce and has already pulled the wires. I have fixed the wires. Now I need to add roller rails to it. This forum has been a great resource for questions though. I've used it a lot thanks everyone

Great people and a great resource of knowledge from everyone.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #8

Get a supplental braking system. They are a requirement in almost every state. If you ever have to hit the brakes hard with a toad attached to you, you will see why.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Get a supplental braking system. They are a requirement in almost every state. If you ever have to hit the brakes hard with a toad attached to you, you will see why.

Jim, we've purchased a RVI 3 supplemental braking system. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
Jim, we've purchased a RVI 3 supplemental braking system. Thanks for the advice.
We have an RVI 2. Love it. Used it on a Jeep Liberty and now a Honda CRV. No mods except for a 4 inch drop to keep the Blue Ox level.
km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by km5xa View Post
We have an RVI 2. Love it. Used it on a Jeep Liberty and now a Honda CRV. No mods except for a 4 inch drop to keep the Blue Ox level.

Thanks, and this is quick. Any advice when towing your first vehicle. Turn radius , hooking/unhooking. We will have a week before we head out so we can take it for a few test runs. I appreciate the advice.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #12
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
Thanks, and this is quick. Any advice when towing your first vehicle. Turn radius , hooking/unhooking. We will have a week before we head out so we can take it for a few test runs. I appreciate the advice.
Hook up on level ground. Do a couple of test hook ups to get comfortable with it. Make sure your towbar is parallel with the ground. If not, Blue Ox has adapters that go between the towbar and receiver hitch. Don't over think it. You will be fine. Also RVI has a device to keep your battery charged if you can't turn off your ignition switch. Didn't need it for the Liberty but a must for the CRV.
We are camping at Talihina State Park in the Ouachita Mountains and the only problem I had so far is hooking /unhooking in the rain.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by km5xa View Post
Hook up on level ground. Do a couple of test hook ups to get comfortable with it. Make sure your towbar is parallel with the ground. If not, Blue Ox has adapters that go between the towbar and receiver hitch. Don't over think it. You will be fine. Also RVI has a device to keep your battery charged if you can't turn off your ignition switch. Didn't need it for the Liberty but a must for the CRV.

We are camping at Talihina State Park in the Ouachita Mountains and the only problem I had so far is hooking /unhooking in the rain.

Have a great trip, thanks for the advice. The Wrangler has Unlimited power in the console, so far so good. Excited to hit the road.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #14

What year CRV?
mzlisapratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #15
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzlisapratt View Post
What year CRV?
Old 07-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #16

We have a 369XL, tow an Edge, and definitely use a rear sway bar, trac bar. Big difference. Love the RVi3.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #17
I Break Everything

We have a 2015 Jeep Unlimited, 2015 351DS, no problems towing.

Have an Adventure!

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
We have a 2015 Jeep Unlimited, 2015 351DS, no problems towing.

Have an Adventure!

Thank you
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #19

kentavido, I think some folks over think their motor homes. One thousand clichés out there about a box on wheels etc., but the fact remains you are not driving that house on a BMW platform. I have found that keeping in mind "What" I'm driving keeps me much more realistic to my driving experiences. Relax, enjoy the spectacular view out of your RV's huge picture window, take a quick peak at your tow in the monitor every now and then and enjoy the ride and the adventure!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #20

Kentavido,

Each one of the RVers in this forum has a different opinion based on their feel and pride for their own coach. Their driving situation may be different with yours completely. Depending on the distance that you will drive, your load, your tire pressure, the road condition, the weather, etc. You can not find enough data compiled to decide on how your coach should be unless you do an extended trip. Many of the RVers only use their coach on the weekend and may be driving couple hundred miles to their destination and back, they would have different advice compare to whom who drove thousand of miles trip that spread out many days or months which they would experience various road condition as well as weather in each different region.

I just did a 4000 miles trip for the duration of couple months. I did go through all type of weathers from hot to cool, dry to rain, calm to windy, and different road condition from smooth to under repair, even with some gravels, from the Texas plain country to the rocky mountain, from flat to as much as 7% and 8% grade in both of uphill and downhill, you name it and most likely I could tell you that I did go through it. That is when I did really appreciate for my decision of upgrade my chassis suspension before I took the trip. My next long trip will be the estimated 14,000 miles spread out 5 to 6 months in 2018 when I go toward the west, then head back to the east, then head north to Alaska, then going back straight down to the southwest, and I am confident and know that my suspension upgrade will be able to assist me on every mile just like it did support me on my last trip.

If you do not plan to take any long trip immediately, try it out on your own, see how it feel, then adjust or upgrade it accordingly. You will need your towing apparatus anyway, go ahead and have it done, then test drive it to see how it does for you. If it works out without having to upgrade, then more power to you, and more money in your pocket, if not, then you have your straight and correct answer based on your driving condition, your load, your coach, etc. and you will not go wrong.

Good luck and hope that you would have a lot of fun. Cheer!

tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, toad