Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #1

Smile Thinking about buying?

Been looking at motorhomes for awhile now and thinking about taking the plunge. The primary purpose [at least for the next few years] is to support our son's amateur motocross career, although my wife says it would be nice to have a "decent" motorhome to take sightseeing few times a year. The motocross trips are usually within 150 to a max of 700 miles from home and from 2 to 5 days in length.
After looking at everything from used Diesel pushers to toy hauler trailers we've narrowed it down to the Georgetown 374ts or 350ts pulling a 14 ft enclosed trailer when motocrossing.
Any thoughts on either of these floor plans? The local dealer has some deals on leftover Fleetwood Pace Arrows but IMO the Georgetowns look to be built better.
enduroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #2

First of all welcome to the forum and hopefully to the Forest River family.

Although we have a 378TS and not one of the two listed there are others here with them.

We have had our GT for a year and a half now and have been extremely pleased with it. Having had experience with both Fleetwood and Winnebago RVs in the past in both Class C and A types I have to say that construction on all is about the same. However we found that FR just gives you more for your money. I do feel that their construction is better than Fleetwood from our own experience.

The issues we have had have been minor. A few pieces of trim that weren't attached well inside which were fixed with a brad nailer, the hose on the toilet supply line was cut just a hair short and leaked a bit, easy fix and no need to take it to the dealer. The Amana microwave failed after about 6 months. The local Amana dealer sent a repairman to our house to fix it. All I had to do was remove it from it's mounting location, no problem there.

The only thing of major concern we have learned as this was our first new motorhome, is that most of them leave the factory with an iffy front end alignment. We found out the hard way. Ours had a toe-in/out which was 1.5" off and a bad camber setting. We wore through an $878 set of tires in the first year. FR will only cover the alignment under warranty for the first 90 days and you may very well never see the damage being done unless you are driving it every day in those first 90 days. My strong advice no matter what the maker is, is that if the rig is new, call the manufacturer and tell them you feel the steering is off and you want them to pay for a FEA and do it quickly. Don't involve the dealer just go straight to the factory. You will need to find a local shop that deals in big rigs to do the work as not just any shop can do it.

Good luck on your purchase.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #3

We also have the Georgetown 378, but all of models of the Georgetown are made very good. I too was concerned about construction, being an engineer, went to the factory and watched Georgetowns being made. I was impressed with the actual construction techniques they used making the Georgetowns. The quality of the materials used are normally seen in more extensive RVs. We have had RVs made by other manufacture's and Forest River seems to have the edge.

Our coach front end also had to be realligned. But our dealer found it when it was new installing a Safe-T stablizer on the front end. Forest River sent it out to the local Ford truck dealer and had it realligned. That was 18,000 miles ago and the tires are running true.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #4

Since you have a son, a bunkhouse 350TS/357QS would be an ideal floor plan. Not having to make up a bed every night is a great convenience and plus they have their own private space they can retreat too, watch dvds, go to sleep in, etc. This gives the adults the option of staying up,waking up, or sleeping in without any disruptions.

Otherwise the 374 floor plan is nice but you could also consider any of the other floor plans as well. Get what fits you best. All the current model Georgetowns can be comparably equipped.

The Fleetwood's are also nice and they have some bunkhouse models I like with multiple bathroom doors and larger waste tanks. (Southwind 35J, Bounder 35J). I would imagine the cost of any Pace Arrow, Southwind, Bounder would be higher than the Georgetown. At least they were last summer when I was looking. It's hard to beat the value the Georgetowns provide.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We've had our Georgetown 370 for over 3 years and are very pleased with it. The only major issue we've had wasn't any fault of FR but a problem with the rear of the Ford chassis. It was a rare problem, someone had to have it so I've taken one for the team. You can't beat what is included on the Georgetowns as standard vs. the same being options with other manufacturers. The Georgetown prices are much better for more. If we can be of any help with anything else just ask and congrats on whichever unit you decide on.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #6

We are 2 years into a 370XL and we are VERY happy with it. Haven't had it back to the dealer yet. We've had some minor issues that were mostly about me learning how things are supposed to work. I tow a 4000 lb Saturn and I honestly forget it's back there.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #7

Thanks for all the responses I'll keep you updated as to what happens, but leaning towards the 374 right now, wife likes the kitchen and bathroom arrangement. As I said the dealer has a new 2007 37ft Pace Arrow on the lot that he'll sell for the same price as a 2010 374ts. While the Pace Arrow has a few more "gadgets" the overall build quality of the Georgetown looks better.
The front end alignment issue several have mentioned is well heeded. As a member of the Automotive service industry for 30 years a trip to the alignment shop is the first place I'll head [Unfortunately my shop cannot handle anything larger than light trucks].
Again many thanks.
enduroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #8

I use a 38 ft toyhauler for my track runs. I take the wife, 3 kids, and normally 2 bikes to the track.

I already had a diesel dually as a tow vehicle so, that made it easy.

we do 2 to 3 day weekends and ahave taken a few family trips in it. I saw a new one at a rv show this past weekend that I would LOVE to have, but at $80k its a little out of my range at the moment. especially since mine is an 06 and mostly paid for.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #9

Loving our 350TS!!

We purchased our '08 350TS in August of last year. It was a new left-over. We had always owned TTs or FWs. We love it. Ours is not the bunk house which gives us an unbelievable amount of wardrobe space. I sought out the 350TS because no appliances are in the slide outs. I just didnt like the thought of gas and water lines moving in and out with the slide. I have always been a Ford man so the F53 chassis was a gotta have! Just love the 3valve V10. Smoothest gas engine I have ever had the pleasure to operate. Got 8.6 MPG running secondary roads driving it home from Ks to Tn. ? Gets 9 MPG on interstate. Diesels dont get a whole lot more. The V10 can be serviced(oil change) for $20 or less. Diesels $100 or more! As stated by others, Georgetown standard features generally put the competition out of consideration. Find the best deal and head for the whoop de doos!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #10

I might also add that you should price the rig out at RVdirect.com and see where their price falls as they are usually the best price around. See if you are getting a good deal or not on that Georgetown. You can get a price quote online in minutes. We bought our rig through them and they beat our local dealer by around 17K and that was including the $3300 delivery charge!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
2009 GTA350 TSSE Diesel

Enduroman,

See my comments on our new GTA350TSSE diesel bunkhouse elsewhere in this forum. Very happy; few issues. Family loves it. 25 nights since taking delivery in mid-December.

Gordon
Interacsol is offline   Reply With Quote