Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #11

I use Tow/Haul on steep downgrades. We have a Sunseeker 3100 which is on the Ford E450 chassis. I never use it on upgrades. It shifts too soon and the rpm's run higher than I would like.

One word of caution when using Tow/Haul for engine braking. It will continue to downshift early as you slow down. When your speed gets down around 15 mph, it shifts into second and then first, and it will stand you on your head! When I get to lower speeds I switch Tow/Haul off and just use the brakes.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #12

My last coach had the Workhorse tranny brake and it held back a lot better than the tow haul on my 2011 378. You have to consider that Workhorse was 496 as v10 is only 415 cu in.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #13

It is a good option, the computer controls it and it will not over rev. If you hit level road and feel the engine is revving mor than needed, just switch it off, But it is easier to just put it on and trust it.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #14

I have the 2012 Gt 378. Lots of grades in the Virginia west ranges I use the tow haul in downgrades. The trans downshift automatically if you take your foot off of the accelerator if the speed increases while in speed control to maintain a constant speed. if you step on the brakes it will downshift even sooner. on upgrades I take it out of T/H mode because it hangs in gears too long.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
I have the 2012 Gt 378. Lots of grades in the Virginia west ranges I use the tow haul in downgrades. The trans downshift automatically if you take your foot off of the accelerator if the speed increases while in speed control to maintain a constant speed. if you step on the brakes it will downshift even sooner. on upgrades I take it out of T/H mode because it hangs in gears too long.

It is very interesting that Ford has very little information on TOW HAUL Mode. I have tried to find more about it and how it works but no luck.
Thanks

Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefly1 View Post
Coming out of Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone heading east to Cody is the steep road I mentioned but the Grand Tetons will get your attention as well! TH and engine brake are awesome in my Dodge 3500.
I have to agree with you on this. Dodge did a heck of a good job on their TH and EB systems. We spent a couple of weeks in the Glacier National Park area this past July and I must say I was very impressed with the way my 3500 handled the load in the mountains. Most of the time it was like we didn't even have a trailer in tow. Very little braking required with this truck versus the 2006-1/2 ton that we previously used to pull the trailer.
WingHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #17

Tow Haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefly1 View Post
Coming out of Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone heading east to Cody is the steep road I mentioned but the Grand Tetons will get your attention as well! TH and engine brake are awesome in my Dodge 3500.
That would be "Sweet 16" Hwy 16 that goes on thru the Big Horn Mtns and into Mt Rushmore area.