Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1

Tips on using Tow/Haul mode for engine braking

We'll soon be doing some driving through some North Carolina mountains and I'd like to brush up on tips for using the engine breaking feature in tow/haul mode.

I realize it depends on the downgrade, but generally speaking does simply engaging the tow/haul mode provide sufficient engine breaking on most grades or do you find it's necessary to shift to 3rd, or even 2nd, with the tow/haul engaged, to get adequate engine braking?

Appreciate any thoughts.

-Mike
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
We'll soon be doing some driving through some North Carolina mountains and I'd like to brush up on tips for using the engine breaking feature in tow/haul mode.

I realize it depends on the downgrade, but generally speaking does simply engaging the tow/haul mode provide sufficient engine breaking on most grades or do you find it's necessary to shift to 3rd, or even 2nd, with the tow/haul engaged, to get adequate engine braking?

Appreciate any thoughts.

-Mike
On our 2013 Ram that has both the T/H and EB features, I have never found it necessary to supplement the EB to feel comfortable when going downhill.

We just set the T/H and EB together and go.

The only time I have used the downshifting was coming down from Pikes Peak and obviously we weren't towing our FW then.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #3

The tow haul method is very good for the mountains and provides excellent downshifting for the motorhome, especially when towing..we use it whenever in the mountains....

George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #4

While going through the Big Horn Mnts. in Wyoming recently, I found that I didn't like the T/H mode in my 2012 F150. Going both up hill, and down, it stayed in a lower gear longer than it needed too. Just wouldn't shift. RPM's were too high. Trans temp shot up 20 degrees. Turned off T/H and much better. I haven't used it since. I think the wind resistance alone is enough to slow me down.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

I use the tow/haul feature all the time when towing our HHR with the Georgetown. I find it is very effective in selecting the correct gear both up hill and down. On steep downhill runs a touch of the brake pedal will bring a downshift (if needed). I have never needed to manually select a lower range even in the steeper western mountains. On uphills the V-10 likes higher rpms, and the transmission keeps it in the correct gear.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #6

I use it all the time on my F150. As Ohiobill said, on downhill runs just tap the break and it downshifts. Holds the speed without using the breaks.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Retired US Army CW4

I use T/H whenever I'm pulling the Jeep. As previously stated, just a tapping on the brakes gets you a downshift. I spend a lot of time driving in the eastern sierras here in California. My previous motorhome had the older V-10 with the 4 speed and no T/H mode. It was a lot harder to drive in the mountains and required a lot of manaul gear selection that I don't have to worry about with this one.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #8

I use both and usually never touch the brakes and there has never been a need to manually shift down to control the speed. We even went down a 14% grade in wy without problems. Though had a known it was straight down I would have looked for another route!
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefly1 View Post
I use both and usually never touch the brakes and there has never been a need to manually shift down to control the speed. We even went down a 14% grade in wy without problems. Though had a known it was straight down I would have looked for another route!
Is that the pass west of Jackson Hole WY driving over the Grand Tetons Pass I think it was route 31/33.
That one is about the same grade only 10% up and down grade but felt like 14%. Only went west to east and never do that again. Yes I did you my Tow Haul mode as well as learned to respect the Ford V-10 and chassis.
Next time I will will go south around the mountain even if it is 50 miles more .
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #10

Coming out of Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone heading east to Cody is the steep road I mentioned but the Grand Tetons will get your attention as well! TH and engine brake are awesome in my Dodge 3500.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #11

I use Tow/Haul on steep downgrades. We have a Sunseeker 3100 which is on the Ford E450 chassis. I never use it on upgrades. It shifts too soon and the rpm's run higher than I would like.

One word of caution when using Tow/Haul for engine braking. It will continue to downshift early as you slow down. When your speed gets down around 15 mph, it shifts into second and then first, and it will stand you on your head! When I get to lower speeds I switch Tow/Haul off and just use the brakes.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #12

My last coach had the Workhorse tranny brake and it held back a lot better than the tow haul on my 2011 378. You have to consider that Workhorse was 496 as v10 is only 415 cu in.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #13

It is a good option, the computer controls it and it will not over rev. If you hit level road and feel the engine is revving mor than needed, just switch it off, But it is easier to just put it on and trust it.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #14

I have the 2012 Gt 378. Lots of grades in the Virginia west ranges I use the tow haul in downgrades. The trans downshift automatically if you take your foot off of the accelerator if the speed increases while in speed control to maintain a constant speed. if you step on the brakes it will downshift even sooner. on upgrades I take it out of T/H mode because it hangs in gears too long.
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
I have the 2012 Gt 378. Lots of grades in the Virginia west ranges I use the tow haul in downgrades. The trans downshift automatically if you take your foot off of the accelerator if the speed increases while in speed control to maintain a constant speed. if you step on the brakes it will downshift even sooner. on upgrades I take it out of T/H mode because it hangs in gears too long.

It is very interesting that Ford has very little information on TOW HAUL Mode. I have tried to find more about it and how it works but no luck.
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Coming out of Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone heading east to Cody is the steep road I mentioned but the Grand Tetons will get your attention as well! TH and engine brake are awesome in my Dodge 3500.
I have to agree with you on this. Dodge did a heck of a good job on their TH and EB systems. We spent a couple of weeks in the Glacier National Park area this past July and I must say I was very impressed with the way my 3500 handled the load in the mountains. Most of the time it was like we didn't even have a trailer in tow. Very little braking required with this truck versus the 2006-1/2 ton that we previously used to pull the trailer.
2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - SOLD
WingHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #17

Tow Haul

Quote:
That would be "Sweet 16" Hwy 16 that goes on thru the Big Horn Mtns and into Mt Rushmore area.