Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Tire Pressure

I couldn't find any newer threads that would allow me to add to them. Would like advice on tire pressure for my 2008 Georgetown 350ts. Front axle weight is 6,650. Rear axle weight is 13,900. This is fully loaded on a certified scale. Tire sidewalls show 110 psi max. Coach manufacturer sticker calls for 90 psi front and rear. Tire manufacturer allows for 70 psi front and 80 psi rear based on their charts.

My questions:
1. What is the advantage of filling a tire to the lowest level allowed by the tire manufacturer? (ex. - ride comfort?)
2. What is the disadvantage of filling a tire to the lowest level allowed by the tire manufacturer? (ex. - decreased fuel mileage?, premature sidewall failure?)

I realize there are differing trains of thought on this but would like the latest and greatest thoughts anyway.
bbrinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #2

I have a 2011 350 and I have mine at the 90 lbs. When I got the 350 dealer had at 100+, I lowered to 90 and thought handling and ride improved. Good Luck!!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
clr

In your case I would recommend that you never run your tire pressure below the numbers provided by the coach mfr. The coach mfr goes to the same charts of which you speak and determines the min tire pressure for the unloaded weight of the RV. Of course who knows if that is the same tires that you still have on the RV. As you load the RV the required tire pressure needs to go up to no more than the max pressure shown on the side wall of the tire.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

I don't think that tire pressure chart from the tire company is telling you to put xx psi in your tires for a certain weight but it is telling you the maximum weight you can safely carry at that psi. I always go by the vehicle sticker, that way if anything goes wrong you're butt is covered.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #5

Need to know some more before I can calculate it for you , with use of my made spreadsheet. And that is next.
Rear howmany axles and total of tires on the road, asuming 1 axle 4 tires on the road , wich is Dual load axle.

From tires :
1. maximum load or loadindex for single and dual load.
2 . Kind of tire to determine AT-pressure/ minimum pressure needed for the maximum load , wich is not the maximum pressure of tire.
Your 110 psi is G-load , so ooh ... I already know that.
3. speedcode of tire wich stands for maximum speed for tire.
Most likely N= maxspeed 140km/86m/h.

And did you weigh fully loaded with persons and freight as you do your trips?
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #6

My sticker says 100psi.

According to my weights, 70 is the minimum. I run 80psi.

I believe the ride is a little smoother, hard to tell.

I have a suspicion Coachmen simply placarded it at the max pressure (the highest minimum) for the tires they installed. If I was them, thats what I would do.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #7

Since you know the loads the tire charts will give you the correct pressures for the best wear, ride and safety for your specific tire. The tire engineers design the tire for loads and speeds; the 'vehicle' engineer 'generally' will provide the pressures for a specific loading case, probably fully loaded as underinflated tires are a safety risk. Overinflated tires will give you a rougher ride and generally the wear on the crown will increase, i.e., you won't get the full life out of the tire, BUT, it will be safe. As noted in the chart from Michelin:
http://www.rvtirepressure.com/assets..._Inflation.pdf

contact the tire mfg (in this case the Michelin dealer) for the applicable load and pressure chart and how to read it ...
walilisseu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire