Old 11-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

I thought so also, but found out the tires loose about a pound just screwing the sensors on. I have the 507's and not the flow thru's.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I thought so also, but found out the tires loose about a pound just screwing the sensors on. I have the 507's and not the flow thru's.
I played with them a lot because I thought the same thing. For example, I filled one up to 86 with the gauge and the sensor picked up 82. I then removed the sensor and it still read 86...a little bit less in decimals because of the tiny amount that it's lost by screwing/unscrewing. Not sure if it has to do where the sensors were calibrated. My digital gauge has an auto calibration feature and it's always dead on with the vehicles. Maybe you got a good calibrated set for your location.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #23

I installed mine this weekend and they are great. Mine are a couple pounds different than my manual guage too, so I just compensated a couple pounds on the inflation. The manual says there is a couple of pound +- tolerance on the unit.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #24

Maybe I'm expecting too much. But for the price of these systems, I would expect way better than +/- a couple of pounds. This is the task they are designed for!
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
Maybe I'm expecting too much. But for the price of these systems, I would expect way better than +/- a couple of pounds. This is the task they are designed for!
@ 50#, +/-2 lbs is 4%, which is not bad, speedometers are allowed a max of 4 mph @ 54 mph, which 2.2 mph per standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers known as J1226 Electric Speedometer Specification. At speeds above about 90 km/h the allowable range for speed is 4% of the highest reading shown on the speedometer.

You pay a lot more for your speedometer.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #26

Quote:
+1 The TPMs in every vehicle we've owned since 2007 have been dead on. +/- nothing.

Now, I understand that the pressure in our rig's tires are at nearly three times of what our cars take and the +/- could be something that cannot be avoided.

Anyone else with the same issue with other brands?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #27

Quote:
TST has great customer service. I think they would happily replace the one that is 4 pounds off if you just call and tell them you are unhappy.
Two pounds is within reason I think.

What you'll understand once you start using them is that the actual pressure isn't so important. It's changes in the pressure that matter.

I once suggested to them that it should be easy for them to add a user-specified "offset" value to the reading during setup. They never responded to that. Maybe they need to hear it from others.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
TST has great customer service. I think they would happily replace the one that is 4 pounds off if you just call and tell them you are unhappy.
Two pounds is within reason I think.

What you'll understand once you start using them is that the actual pressure isn't so important. It's changes in the pressure that matter.

I once suggested to them that it should be easy for them to add a user-specified "offset" value to the reading during setup. They never responded to that. Maybe they need to hear it from others.
I found in todays world we live in the digital age. Years past without digital readouts we were happy with what the tire gauge stated, which was not exact. I have a digital tire gauge which never matches my 507 system and is off by a pound or two. It also never matches my trucks factory monitoring system by a pound or two. I tried other tire gauges same thing. Before having all of these monitors on the trailer tires and truck tires I was never so paranoid about tire pressure. Like seeing what happens to the pressure on a cold morning, seeing what happens when the weather is hot and you drive 600 miles and see how hot the tires get and how high the pressure gets. At first I obsessed about having the pressure exact all the time but now I us them as I think they were intend, to identify a major issue.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #29

I think the intent of TPMs was so that we could get the most life out of our tires. As we know, over or under inflation will significantly reduce the amount of miles we can put in them.

Before the digital age most people didn't really know or just didn't care too much about tire pressure. Sure you'd check them every once in a blue moon or when they looked saggy. I even argued once with a friend because he always under inflated his tires because he liked the quieter ride. His tires always ended up with premature edge wear.

Like you said, it is really meant to catch a major problem. However, at the same time if you always keep your pressure close to the suggested number you will be safer and get the most out of your tires. Its a tool we didn't have in the past. Sure we've all become anal about everything these days with all of the technology. Could you imagine 30 years from now?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #30

I have a TST system on my coach. I also (among my vehicles) have 3 pencil gauges, and a double foot heavy duty truck tire gauge. ALL read differently. As I recall when purchasing some of the mechanical gauges, they state they are accurate to within a +/- tolerance. As an earlier poster stated, it's not about the pressure, but the changes in the pressure that makes a TPMS a necessity.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire