Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #31

I wont dispute that we should be more concerned with a change in pressure over the long run. And I'll concede that I am looking for an even pressure from tire to tire. My point is that when purchasing a "high end" TPMS, that +/- 4% just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me. I would expect the aftermarket TPMS system to be way more accurate than a factory installed mass produced product. When I purchased a middle of the road digital gauge for my racing tires, the accuracy from the manufacturer was +/- .3% in .5lbs steps. That's a tenfold difference in accuracy!

BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
I wont dispute that we should be more concerned with a change in pressure over the long run. And I'll concede that I am looking for an even pressure from tire to tire. My point is that when purchasing a "high end" TPMS, that +/- 4% just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me. I would expect the aftermarket TPMS system to be way more accurate than a factory installed mass produced product. When I purchased a middle of the road digital gauge for my racing tires, the accuracy from the manufacturer was +/- .3% in .5lbs steps. That's a tenfold difference in accuracy!
+1

Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #33

Here is a quote directly from the TST website:

"The system reports in PSI, KPa, Fahrenheit, or Celsius at the discretion of the system owner. The system is accurate to 0.73+/- PSI."
Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post

Ditto .....we now have it for peace of mind. We will now know about any large changes
2013 Nissan Sentra
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #35

It seems to me that if one wants to install a TPMS associated with a 6 tire motorhome (MH) the TPMS should be for the TOAD. I believe you could drag that toad a good distance without detecting its flat tire. I believe it has happened numerous times. Unless your MH has run flat tires installing a TPMS on the MH tires, to me, is just a waste of money. Typically I have seen recommendations that MH tires be changed every 5 or so years regardless of how they appear. I think it's a side wall issue. I personnaly run about 7-10 years between changes or average 75000 miles and have never had an issue that was not detected while driving or checking at intervals and then it was only a low pressure thing. If a blowout occurs, you're gonna know it. Get a rubber mallet to check your rears for flats at the rest stop. One thump will let you know.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It seems to me that if one wants to install a TPMS associated with a 6 tire motorhome (MH) the TPMS should be for the TOAD. I believe you could drag that toad a good distance without detecting its flat tire. I believe it has happened numerous times. Unless your MH has run flat tires installing a TPMS on the MH tires, to me, is just a waste of money. Typically I have seen recommendations that MH tires be changed every 5 or so years regardless of how they appear. I think it's a side wall issue. I personnaly run about 7-10 years between changes or average 75000 miles and have never had an issue that was not detected while driving or checking at intervals and then it was only a low pressure thing. If a blowout occurs, you're gonna know it. Get a rubber mallet to check your rears for flats at the rest stop. One thump will let you know.
Bubbles:
Lot of good points you've made. With new motorhomes and dual wheels, many manufacturers are installing valve extensions, mostly on rubber valve stems which are specified for only 65lbs. This arrangement is trouble waiting to happen, with most inflating tires to over sidewall pressure, and and a heavy extension flopping around on a rubber stem. I don't normally pull a toad, so my sensors are on my MH, and I have a greater sense of security with them. Picking up a nail while lunder way and a slow but definite leak will be detected by the sensors. A low tire building up heat will eventually blow on a long haul, and I've personally experienced a blowout - does SERIOUS damage to fiberglass around the wheel opening! (I have also installed LONG metal stems that don't need extensions, but like any other tire, they are subject to leak down over time). You are spot on about monitoring tires on a toad. I haven't yet - and have only towed to and from dealer for service, but I'll be adding them on our toad next season.

Much of the degradation of tires apparently comes from UV exposure, so covering tires when stored outside is a must. I park my MH under a pole shed and over wooden pads, but still use tire covers - spent too much on tires on the old DP 'til I finally learned my lesson - At $3000+ for a set, it doesn't take long to learn!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #37

I have the tire minder version and so far no problems....there is one type of cap for rubber stems and a different type for metal....was told by tire man that no need for metal stems in tires that max is 50 lbs....so far that seems to be accurate...no issues at all....for the type I have just have to read package to see if they are for metal or rubber stems and make sure you get the right kind....good luck with your choice.....plus we get free batteries till 2018 LOL....but so far they are still working

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #38

I have know people with monitors and without, both had blow outs with the same end damage. Just because you have a monitor it doesn't mean you could stop on a dime. You still need a place to pull off. Before GPS we looked at maps, before tpms, you looked back at your mirror alot more to check your tires. Now people are worried about a 2 lb fluctuation in pressure. Is your tire pressure gage calibrated, I doubt it. To many gadgets for this billion dollar industry...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #39

LMAO. If they are useless then why was it made a requirement for automobiles to have them. I know, it's a conspiracy. I didn't get my monitor to help with a blowout. I got it because I want to know if I have a leak. I don't know how many times (before TPMs) I would find a flat on my car that I could have avoided if I would have known it had a leak.

As a matter of fact, I was against spending 300 bucks on the system, but then realized that it's a PITA to check pressure on six tires...getting old I know. It's kind of like GPS, I know we used to have maps, and before that we used to have read the stars, and so on, but the point is that these gadgets makes life easier. It's peace of mind for me to know that while on a long trip, if I pick up a nail or get some sort of a leak, it can be detected and be able to drive to the nearest place to get it fixed. Happy! Happy! Happy!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
LMAO. If they are useless then why was it made a requirement for automobiles to have them. I know, it's a conspiracy. I didn't get my monitor to help with a blowout. I got it because I want to know if I have a leak. I don't know how many times (before TPMs) I would find a flat on my car that I could have avoided if I would have known it had a leak.

As a matter of fact, I was against spending 300 bucks on the system, but then realized that it's a PITA to check pressure on six tires...getting old I know. It's kind of like GPS, I know we used to have maps, and before that we used to have read the stars, and so on, but the point is that these gadgets makes life easier. It's peace of mind for me to know that while on a long trip, if I pick up a nail or get some sort of a leak, it can be detected and be able to drive to the nearest place to get it fixed. Happy! Happy! Happy!
What is LMAO? I do not understand, a person can buy what they want and spend their money anyway they wish, I understand both the benefits you might get and one's you might not. just a statement. Some people swear by them and others do not.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire