Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
BeagleIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 136
I wont dispute that we should be more concerned with a change in pressure over the long run. And I'll concede that I am looking for an even pressure from tire to tire. My point is that when purchasing a "high end" TPMS, that +/- 4% just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me. I would expect the aftermarket TPMS system to be way more accurate than a factory installed mass produced product. When I purchased a middle of the road digital gauge for my racing tires, the accuracy from the manufacturer was +/- .3% in .5lbs steps. That's a tenfold difference in accuracy!
__________________

__________________
Mark, Jenny, Adam & Lucy
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
2015.5 Silverado 2500HD CCSB with Duramax/Allison
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gahanna, OH
Posts: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
I wont dispute that we should be more concerned with a change in pressure over the long run. And I'll concede that I am looking for an even pressure from tire to tire. My point is that when purchasing a "high end" TPMS, that +/- 4% just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me. I would expect the aftermarket TPMS system to be way more accurate than a factory installed mass produced product. When I purchased a middle of the road digital gauge for my racing tires, the accuracy from the manufacturer was +/- .3% in .5lbs steps. That's a tenfold difference in accuracy!
+1
__________________

__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS
-TruCenter -Front/Rear CHF -Hellwig Links -Tiger Trak -Ran McNally GPS -ScanGauge -Truck Systems TPMS -5 Star Tune
alparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gahanna, OH
Posts: 1,414
Here is a quote directly from the TST website:

"The system reports in PSI, KPa, Fahrenheit, or Celsius at the discretion of the system owner. The system is accurate to 0.73+/- PSI."
__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS
-TruCenter -Front/Rear CHF -Hellwig Links -Tiger Trak -Ran McNally GPS -ScanGauge -Truck Systems TPMS -5 Star Tune
alparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS
 
RELHUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
I wont dispute that we should be more concerned with a change in pressure over the long run. And I'll concede that I am looking for an even pressure from tire to tire. My point is that when purchasing a "high end" TPMS, that +/- 4% just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me. I would expect the aftermarket TPMS system to be way more accurate than a factory installed mass produced product. When I purchased a middle of the road digital gauge for my racing tires, the accuracy from the manufacturer was +/- .3% in .5lbs steps. That's a tenfold difference in accuracy!


Ditto .....we now have it for peace of mind. We will now know about any large changes
__________________
GRV
We love to Roam
2013 Georgetown 351 DSF
2013 Nissan Sentra
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,562
It seems to me that if one wants to install a TPMS associated with a 6 tire motorhome (MH) the TPMS should be for the TOAD. I believe you could drag that toad a good distance without detecting its flat tire. I believe it has happened numerous times. Unless your MH has run flat tires installing a TPMS on the MH tires, to me, is just a waste of money. Typically I have seen recommendations that MH tires be changed every 5 or so years regardless of how they appear. I think it's a side wall issue. I personnaly run about 7-10 years between changes or average 75000 miles and have never had an issue that was not detected while driving or checking at intervals and then it was only a low pressure thing. If a blowout occurs, you're gonna know it. Get a rubber mallet to check your rears for flats at the rest stop. One thump will let you know.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It seems to me that if one wants to install a TPMS associated with a 6 tire motorhome (MH) the TPMS should be for the TOAD. I believe you could drag that toad a good distance without detecting its flat tire. I believe it has happened numerous times. Unless your MH has run flat tires installing a TPMS on the MH tires, to me, is just a waste of money. Typically I have seen recommendations that MH tires be changed every 5 or so years regardless of how they appear. I think it's a side wall issue. I personnaly run about 7-10 years between changes or average 75000 miles and have never had an issue that was not detected while driving or checking at intervals and then it was only a low pressure thing. If a blowout occurs, you're gonna know it. Get a rubber mallet to check your rears for flats at the rest stop. One thump will let you know.
Bubbles:
Lot of good points you've made. With new motorhomes and dual wheels, many manufacturers are installing valve extensions, mostly on rubber valve stems which are specified for only 65lbs. This arrangement is trouble waiting to happen, with most inflating tires to over sidewall pressure, and and a heavy extension flopping around on a rubber stem. I don't normally pull a toad, so my sensors are on my MH, and I have a greater sense of security with them. Picking up a nail while lunder way and a slow but definite leak will be detected by the sensors. A low tire building up heat will eventually blow on a long haul, and I've personally experienced a blowout - does SERIOUS damage to fiberglass around the wheel opening! (I have also installed LONG metal stems that don't need extensions, but like any other tire, they are subject to leak down over time). You are spot on about monitoring tires on a toad. I haven't yet - and have only towed to and from dealer for service, but I'll be adding them on our toad next season.

Much of the degradation of tires apparently comes from UV exposure, so covering tires when stored outside is a must. I park my MH under a pole shed and over wooden pads, but still use tire covers - spent too much on tires on the old DP 'til I finally learned my lesson - At $3000+ for a set, it doesn't take long to learn!
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
sail2liv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 292
I have the tire minder version and so far no problems....there is one type of cap for rubber stems and a different type for metal....was told by tire man that no need for metal stems in tires that max is 50 lbs....so far that seems to be accurate...no issues at all....for the type I have just have to read package to see if they are for metal or rubber stems and make sure you get the right kind....good luck with your choice.....plus we get free batteries till 2018 LOL....but so far they are still working
__________________

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
I have know people with monitors and without, both had blow outs with the same end damage. Just because you have a monitor it doesn't mean you could stop on a dime. You still need a place to pull off. Before GPS we looked at maps, before tpms, you looked back at your mirror alot more to check your tires. Now people are worried about a 2 lb fluctuation in pressure. Is your tire pressure gage calibrated, I doubt it. To many gadgets for this billion dollar industry...
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gahanna, OH
Posts: 1,414
LMAO. If they are useless then why was it made a requirement for automobiles to have them. I know, it's a conspiracy. I didn't get my monitor to help with a blowout. I got it because I want to know if I have a leak. I don't know how many times (before TPMs) I would find a flat on my car that I could have avoided if I would have known it had a leak.

As a matter of fact, I was against spending 300 bucks on the system, but then realized that it's a PITA to check pressure on six tires...getting old I know. It's kind of like GPS, I know we used to have maps, and before that we used to have read the stars, and so on, but the point is that these gadgets makes life easier. It's peace of mind for me to know that while on a long trip, if I pick up a nail or get some sort of a leak, it can be detected and be able to drive to the nearest place to get it fixed. Happy! Happy! Happy!
__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS
-TruCenter -Front/Rear CHF -Hellwig Links -Tiger Trak -Ran McNally GPS -ScanGauge -Truck Systems TPMS -5 Star Tune
alparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
LMAO. If they are useless then why was it made a requirement for automobiles to have them. I know, it's a conspiracy. I didn't get my monitor to help with a blowout. I got it because I want to know if I have a leak. I don't know how many times (before TPMs) I would find a flat on my car that I could have avoided if I would have known it had a leak.

As a matter of fact, I was against spending 300 bucks on the system, but then realized that it's a PITA to check pressure on six tires...getting old I know. It's kind of like GPS, I know we used to have maps, and before that we used to have read the stars, and so on, but the point is that these gadgets makes life easier. It's peace of mind for me to know that while on a long trip, if I pick up a nail or get some sort of a leak, it can be detected and be able to drive to the nearest place to get it fixed. Happy! Happy! Happy!
What is LMAO? I do not understand, a person can buy what they want and spend their money anyway they wish, I understand both the benefits you might get and one's you might not. just a statement. Some people swear by them and others do not.
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pressure, tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.