Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Tire pressure monitoring

I often read about the importance of regular monitoring of tire pressure. Motorhome magazine recommends twice a day when on the road.
This can be quite a hassle.
Does anyone have experience with electronic tire pressure monitors?
They seem like a great idea, but are generally pretty pricey. Are they worth the expense ? It seems like with the purchase of some extra valve stem sensors the control panel could be used on multiple vehicles, but the valve stem sensors are about 50.00 each. Any suggestions ?

Old 11-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
I often read about the importance of regular monitoring of tire pressure. Motorhome magazine recommends twice a day when on the road.
This can be quite a hassle.
Does anyone have experience with electronic tire pressure monitors?
They seem like a great idea, but are generally pretty pricey. Are they worth the expense ? It seems like with the purchase of some extra valve stem sensors the control panel could be used on multiple vehicles, but the valve stem sensors are about 50.00 each. Any suggestions ?
There are several threads here regarding TPMS as they generally called.

Do a search of TPMS here for more information.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #3

Forget the expense. They are all expensive BUT when I'm driving down the road mine scans all the tires continuously.
Tire pressure as well as temperature. I feel better when I'm on a long trip and know ahead if I have a leak.
I feel much better know what is happening and it has programmable high and low air pressure as well as high temp.
I have Truck System Tech Tire Monitor RV510 with the screw on sensors.
Usually they give you 2 year warranty and if one fails or acts erratic they will replace for free. I have my system since April 2012 and have 23,000 miles under my belt. They are worth the money.
Now all you have to do is select which manufacturer you want to get it from.
I think their are two major distributers and they all made in China.
Mine cost me $299 for a 6 sensor system with 2 year warranty.

Here is the website
Home - Truck System Technologies, Inc

I have attached the manual so you and read it first.

Here is a great YouTube Video
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 510RV_New_Owners_Manual.pdf (2.79 MB, 33 views)

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

I have that same TST system, and like the peace of mind. It's pretty simple to set up, and I would advise anyone to have the added insurance of a TPMS. Just remember that the valve cap.sensors require metal valve stems.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

Thanks a lot for the info. I have ordered the TST monitor, it looks like what I need
Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #6

I ran the Tire Minder version for a while on our Roo. I would have to say it was finicky at best when it came to reporting pressure and temperature. For me, it seemed very inconsistent. It was after I purchased mine that I found out that you need to have metal valve stems. The centrifugal force of the spinning wheel was enough that it would bend my rubber stems and make contact with the wheel. All 4 wheels have a half moon spot where the paint was rubbed off by the sensor. Then when I went to replace the batteries this year, 3 of my 4 sensors had the metal clip that the battery slides into come off of the small circuit board, rendering them completely useless. Unsure if I'm going to replace the sensors, go with a different brand, or scrap the entire thing. I don't relish taking all four trailer tires in to get metal stems put in....
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

You can do it at home if you have an air compressor.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
You can do it at home if you have an air compressor.
The only process I've seen is one where you have to deflate and break the bead so you can install the valve from the inside. Please explain....
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
The only process I've seen is one where you have to deflate and break the bead so you can install the valve from the inside. Please explain....
Yes.

Deflate the tire and stand on the tire to push it low enough to work with.
You can use a sharp knife to cut the rubber one off, make sure you do not leave the cut off end in the tire.

Put in metal one and tighten it down, you may want to dip the rubber seal in soapy water.

Now spray soapy water on the tire bead and bounce the tire on the driveway or garage floor to get it back in place.

Air it up, you may need to work the tire in order to get it to reseal.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Forget the expense. They are all expensive BUT when I'm driving down the road mine scans all the tires continuously. Tire pressure as well as temperature. I feel better when I'm on a long trip and know ahead if I have a leak. I feel much better know what is happening and it has programmable high and low air pressure as well as high temp. I have Truck System Tech Tire Monitor RV510 with the screw on sensors. Usually they give you 2 year warranty and if one fails or acts erratic they will replace for free. I have my system since April 2012 and have 23,000 miles under my belt. They are worth the money. Now all you have to do is select which manufacturer you want to get it from. I think their are two major distributers and they all made in China. Mine cost me $299 for a 6 sensor system with 2 year warranty. Here is the website Home - Truck System Technologies, Inc I have attached the manual so you and read it first. Here is a great YouTube Video
Thanks for the information. I ordered the same model you have. They only listed 1 year warranty but when I received it today in the mail, the warranty card shows two years. I will hook it up this weekend and see how it works.

Thanks again

2013 Nissan Sentra
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire