Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
WDK

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems questions.

Having been a guy who constantly checks his tires before starting i.e. pressures and conditions before each trip sf EVERY TIME I stop Toad as well, a couple of classes convinced me to buy a Tire Tracker 400C at the Phoenix rally this past week. I had the pro set it up for me and I have posed these same questions to them.

Two questions: I am thinking my max threshold may be off or the pressure in my tires went up beyond what they expected. I had my pressure set at 85psi all the way around and that is what I set my pressures at before starting and drove for 30 minutes pressures good, no alarms. Incidentally my sticker pressure is 82 and having put a few more items on there for sure but I am not heavily loaded with my coach weighing a little over 16,000 of a max 18,000. Of course when they heat up the pressure goes up and I went from 85 to a max 100psi on one tire the other back three average around 98, 99 and 15 psi seems reasonable from all that I know so should I have been in alarm....I beeped at first to warn me and then I had had the flashing red all the way home.

Second question: Having always thought short of an obvious loss of pressure in your car tires that is....in an RV you should hold just pull over and wait for a repair, you put air in them and try to limp to the next dealer and buy a tire but that you should not adjust the pressure while the tires are hot. When there is an imbalance however as you read from your monitor for example, left front is 92 and the right front is 97. Should you inflate or deflate one to make them match or adjust them to meet somewhere in the middle...I added three pounds to the left and after about another 20 minutes of driving later they were both 95psi and that is what I ran with the rest of the way home. My temperature range was from 55 to 70 degrees.

Thoughts and answers please as I am a little confused with all this information on the fly.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #2

Our experience

We got the TST 507 for our 351 and went through a similar setup process. Read the inflation chart on the chart - 92 PSI for us - and added the 20% margin so about 110 PSI. Started down the road. No problem in the North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. Got into Florida and suddenly I hear the alarm, look at the display - 112 PSI. Wow.

I thought about it, called TST - reset upper limits to 115 PSI. Reasoning for the change - biggest concern was deflation or excessive PSI.

Comfortable with the change and still believe the TPMS is one of the most important system monitors on our unit.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Team

You will get variations from side to side if you travel such that the sun is one one side for a while. I also find that after traveling at speed, the temp goes up slightly when U first slow down or stop. If one wheel changes significantly over the others, also remember to check that bearing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Flybob is correct. I keep my tires at 90 psi cold. On a warm day at highway speeds they will go as high as 110. The is usually a tire or two that is 2-3 pounds different than the others, but after cooling down they all read the same, 90 psi
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

Do not forget the plus or minus could be just the sensor but with in limits. I run about 10 lbs higher then set all the time. A blow out will happen around 175 degrees. If the sun is on the left side it will read maybe 5 degrees warmer. As long as they both read the same. Check your temps that is the important one not so much as the PSI. If your temp is higher on 1 tire stop and check the hub and brakes. Other then that if you are still below your rim rating you do not have a problem. I can sit at a rest stop and the side in the sun will read a higher PSI.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Senior Member - Retired

TST now sells an "internal" version of the TST 507. Has anyone tried these yet? I don't think I want to deflate six 22.5" tires to install interior sensors. However, I might install internal sensors in the future whenever I buy a new tire.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
WDK

....I am getting use to what seems like too much information.....though some of your answers are putting it in perspective. My tires never got hot and I suppose I can adjust my high pressure alarm to around 105 to 110 since to this date my highest pressure has been 100lbs and all my temps were blow 77 degrees. I check my tires religiously before each trip and I inspect them quite thoroughly every time I stop even with the system though it is doing its job and giving me a little more peace of mind.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #8

The adjustment of the upper limit - IMO - is spot on.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
Radioman

Can I ask a stupid question? Is it recommended to put the system on all tires? I'm referring to the front wheels on my truck?
Yuba City, CA. 95993
bjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #10

IMO, if you are going to the expense of purchasing a system for your RV and rear tires on a truck, why not spend the extra few bucks and give yourself peace of mind all around. It would be nice to know if your front tires are getting low before the tump tump tump. Just me!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #11

If you determine you need them on the back, what is the logic for not putting them on the from. Only rationale I could imagine is you are pulling a toad on a dolly?

Of this is just IMO>

Tags
pressure, tire