Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #21

Thanks Taylorgso. I may be able to drill a hole on the cap for the inside extender that is currently just dangling there. I'm going to have to take the rig to a truck shop to have the wheels rotated so that the valves are 180 apart. Right now they are about 90 apart.

I also found a screw in one of the tires. It's not leaking and I don't want to pull it out. it looks like one of those long woods screws too. Anyone know how the tire warranty works? We purchased a seven year bumper to bumper and also the tire warranty.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
...Also, do make sure that the tires are mounted with stems (or extenders if you use them) 180 degrees opposite. This helps counterbalance the weight.
Makes no difference if the tire/wheel assy is balanced.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Makes no difference if the tire/wheel assy is balanced.
I think if the tires where balanced with the extenders then it wouldn't make a difference. But, if you add the extenders after the fact, I would think it would make a difference.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I think if the tires where balanced with the extenders then it wouldn't make a difference. But, if you add the extenders after the fact, I would think it would make a difference.
I would think the extenders would be installed, otherwise, balancing without them and then adding them is a waste of time, money and effort.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #25

Quote:
I would think the extenders would be installed, otherwise, balancing without them and then adding them is a waste of time, money and effort.
I think it would be a PITA to balance a wheel with an extender flopping around and why you would balance without them and then install the wheels 180 to counter the force considering both extenders are about the same weight. That's not even considering whatever brackets are used to fix them to the hub cap.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I think it would be a PITA to balance a wheel with an extender flopping around and why you would balance without them and then install the wheels 180 to counter the force considering both extenders are about the same weight. That's not even considering whatever brackets are used to fix them to the hub cap.
A small pc of tape would take care of the flopping around. When they spin the tire, the centrifugal force will stop the movement of the extender anyway. Probably a mute point even worrying about them considering the total weight of the tire/wheel assembly.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #27

Quote:
A small pc of tape would take care of the flopping around. When they spin the tire, the centrifugal force will stop the movement of the extender anyway. Probably a mute point even worrying about them considering the total weight of the tire/wheel assembly.
That's true. This is my first big truck so I don't really know how they do it. I'll find out sooner or later.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #28

I doubt they will spin balance them because of the size
My best bet would be beads inside the tire.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #29

!80 degrees out is not a requirement. The extenders will not affect your tire wear one bit no matter what the degree of installation happens to be. I've had several coaches and have had no issues and the extenders were installed all over the compass rose from each other. I usually put 70000 to 90000 on a coach before upgrading. A couple of those had the original tires still installed when traded. Hope you don't get a rock stuck in your tread, might have to re-ballance. Just kidding of course.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #30

You're probably right not balancing a large truck tire. My Solera runs 16" wheels, and yes I had them balanced when I put the steel valve stems in. My tire guy felt like it was good idea to polarize the stems to assure better balance between inner and outer tires. But I guess everyone has a differing opinion on this!

The metal stems are stable in their own right, but most suppliers provide a rubber stabilizer through which the stem fits, and the stabilizer pressure fits into the holes on the wheel cover.

I can imagine a large truck tire would not spin balance easily, and may not need it since rotational speed on a large diameter tire is much lower (than on my 16" rims) so beads may be the best answer if you felt like they were out of balance.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #31

I would have thought all wheels get balanced, except tractor wheels. LOL. Then again, I don't know anything about big trucks. In a car, a wheel out of balance can cause issues down the road, not to mention an uncomfortable ride.

It sounds like it's all hearsay. Some folks get them balanced while others don't. There has to be a theory behind it whether they should or should not be balanced.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #32

Typically, extenders are DIY kits if the coach doesn't come with them installed. If the DIY kit is for both then it might call for the outer tire be rotated so that the valves are opposite. If only the inner needs to be extended the mountings remain as is. I believe most do call for the valves to be metal, not rubber. However, I'm pretty sure none of the DIY kits require a reballance of the tire. At any rate, yours should have come with them and therefore FR should have them installed. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #33

Thanks for the details. I contacted FR about my missing inverter and also told them about the missing extenders. Hopefully they'll send both.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #34

Well, they are ordering an inverter, but it's a no go on the extenders. I was told that FR only installs the inner extender, but not the outer.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #35

I have the 22.5" aluminum wheels and yes there is only the inner extender but the outer valve is readily accessible and is steel. Did you tell them that your wheels were not the 22.5" aluminum ones? Might make a difference. That's just not right to me. When my other MH's came with extenders it included the inner and outer when the wheels were the 19.5" variety with wheel liners. Sorry. You should be able to buy just the outer extenders if FR won't own up.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Well, they are ordering an inverter, but it's a no go on the extenders. I was told that FR only installs the inner extender, but not the outer.
I think you said something wrong.
You are missing your inner extenders. The one you see in your picture is from the outside tire which you can work with.
I think you may have to send them a picture to explain what you are missing. The Inner tire extenders. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #37

Those look to be the same hub caps as my Mirada. The come off pretty easily. If you look closely at the "lug nuts" you will notice that 2 of them are different. The difference is very slight, it is at the base of the "nut". Find one and the other is directly opposite.

I just went out and checked and found that the easiest way to find them is just by tapping on the "nuts". Most of them will sound hollow while two will sound solid. That those two off and the cap will pull right off.

Joel
Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
Those look to be the same hub caps as my Mirada. The come off pretty easily. If you look closely at the "lug nuts" you will notice that 2 of them are different. The difference is very slight, it is at the base of the "nut". Find one and the other is directly opposite.

I just went out and checked and found that the easiest way to find them is just by tapping on the "nuts". Most of them will sound hollow while two will sound solid. That those two off and the cap will pull right off.

Joel
Joel usually they are 3 caps that screw off. They will have a noticeable notch on each of them on the outside. Yes you can also find them by tapping and listening also.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #39

When you get the valve stems figured out I would suggest getting the MH weighed then going to the tire manufacture web site to see what air pressure you should run. That's the only way to get it correct. Adjusting fir comfort is not safe or good for the long life of the tire.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #40

Iggy, you had me questioning myself (nothing new there) so I went out and checked again. There were indeed lines on the "nuts" but only on two sides so still easy to miss and I only have two of the "nuts". Maybe Georgetowns have three, I have 19.5" wheels, that could be a difference.

Joel

Tags
pressure, tire