Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Question

I decided to check the tire pressure on my rig and they were all set at 82. Sticker says it's supposed to be 97. For those of you with experience, do you find a better ride with the recommended pressure of a bit lower one.

I could only find four valves for six tires. Are the two on each side in the rear hooked up with a T? Another thing I noticed is that all of the valves are nice metal ones.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

The four drive tire valves are facing each other 180 degrees off of each other.

In other words one could be on the bottom the other would be on top.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

I could only find one, it's in about the 2 o'clock position in the picture below. I guess the other one must be hidden behind the wheel cover.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

Could be, if you want you can get under the rig and see if you can find it from the inside.
I'd just pull the cover.....
Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I decided to check the tire pressure on my rig and they were all set at 82. Sticker says it's supposed to be 97. For those of you with experience, do you find a better ride with the recommended pressure of a bit lower one.

I could only find four valves for six tires. Are the two on each side in the rear hooked up with a T? Another thing I noticed is that all of the valves are nice metal ones.
Contact your dealer or Forest River and get them to add inner tire extensions
That should be standard on all Georgetowns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 018.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	42248  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #6

Do all GTs have them and it wasn't installed in ours just like the missing fridge inverter?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #7

I wonder if those are wheel covers (hub caps).
You DO NOT want a Y on the back tires, 1 flat ='s both tires are flat.

What size are your tires?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

Yes, they are hub caps. They are pretty realistic though. Didn't think about the Y thing. The idea behind having two tires, besides the load factor, is that if one goes flat you still have another. The other valve has to be behind the cap. I will remove it tomorrow, but I'd hate to have to remove it every time I want to check the pressure, which will be often.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, they are hub caps. They are pretty realistic though. Didn't think about the Y thing. The idea behind having two tires, besides the load factor, is that if one goes flat you still have another. The other valve has to be behind the cap. I will remove it tomorrow, but I'd hate to have to remove it every time I want to check the pressure, which will be often.

You could buy a nice set of alloy wheels to make it easy.

I would say dump the covers for a set that fit better and make all the slots open.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #10

When I took delivery of my 2013 GT 350 the valve extensions for the inner tires were flexible and were stuck inside the interior of the wheel rim. I had to go under the MH and route them through the hole in the wheel.

As far as tire pressure, mine shows 90 psi in each tire and I have been playing with the pressure all summer to find the "Sweet Spot." Michigan roads are very rough, so 92 in the front and 85 in the rears worked best. I bump up the rears to 90 psi if I'm towing my boat.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #11

You can get valve extenders for the inside wheel that will stick thru one of the holes in the outside wheel.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
You could buy a nice set of alloy wheels to make it easy.

I would say dump the covers for a set that fit better and make all the slots open.
Let me know when you can send the money and I'll send you my paypal address
Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOBlue View Post
When I took delivery of my 2013 GT 350 the valve extensions for the inner tires were flexible and were stuck inside the interior of the wheel rim. I had to go under the MH and route them through the hole in the wheel.

As far as tire pressure, mine shows 90 psi in each tire and I have been playing with the pressure all summer to find the "Sweet Spot." Michigan roads are very rough, so 92 in the front and 85 in the rears worked best. I bump up the rears to 90 psi if I'm towing my boat.
I'm going to pop the caps off to locate them.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
You can get valve extenders for the inside wheel that will stick thru one of the holes in the outside wheel.
The valve that you see at the 2 o'clock position is for the inside wheel. The one I can't find is the outside wheel which I'm pretty sure it's tucked in behind the wheel cap.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #15

This is insane guys. I went out to pop the cap, but you have to remove the entire wheel to get it off. I crawled under and found the tire valve. How are you supposed to check and fill air with it on the inside of the rim? Oh, and it's not 180 degrees off. The inner valve is at the 2 o'clock and the outer one is at the 11 o'clock position

Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #16

I believe iggy is correct in that all GT's come with rear wheel (inner/outer) valve extenders. Not sure if they are FR directed dealer addons or factory installs. Check with FR.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #17

It'll probably be easier to just get a set myself. Do they just install on the existing valve or does the tire need to come off? Also, the valve extender that is currently for the inner tire is just dangling there. There is a jam nut on the end with the cap. Is there supposed to be some sort of bracket that it attaches to?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #18

I didn't know that you had any extenders. Typically, there are spring loaded adapters that secure the extenders to an opening in the wheel (wheel covers) to keep them from ratteling. They are usually supplied with an extender kit. The extenders screw to existing valves. You can see what's available at CW web site. The wheel should not have to come off to install the extenders.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #19

I spoke with FR and they are supposed to come with four extenders, one for each rear wheel.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #20

Quote:
I spoke with FR and they are supposed to come with four extenders, one for each rear wheel.
A lot of folks have had problems with leaks when using extenders. The extenders are in effect an extra junction in the airline, and can loosen from the centrifugal stresses, and the extra weight on rubber stems can cause damage to the stems if not installed exactly right. You might want to consider installing solid metal valve stems which bolt into the rim and extend through the wheel covers - results in better peace of mind! Also, do make sure that the tires are mounted with stems (or extenders if you use them) 180 degrees opposite. This helps counterbalance the weight.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire