Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #1

Tire replacement

On recent Florida trip noticed significant cupping on front tires after arrival just north of Tampa. Up until this year have been running 110 psi all around with great wear. Read on a few blogs where many reported running around 95 psi with better ride and no adverse results. Early this season I lowered my pressure to 95 and have driven around 6000 miles this season since early April and just recently noticed the cupping ie severe flat spots on outer edge of passenger front tire and moderate on driver side on both inner and outer. Was advised by a small independent shop in Tampa area they suspected wear was due to low pressure as coach seems to track very well and up until this season tires were wearing very good. Moved the cupped tires to rear outer where I could keep close on for return trip and the rear outers were brought to front and balanced with the bag inserts when mounted. Aired all back to 110 lb. Trip home without problems. Not noticing wear on front tires now but unsure if 900 miles is enough to say problem fixed. My intention is to purchase two new tires for front and get rid of the cupped tires then have front end alignment checked in charleston in a few days in a shop who actually has a machine to check caster and camber in addition to toe in. Local shops here in Beckley are setting toe by measuring front run out manually. I see where some have replaced the 255/80/22.5 michelins with Toyo 265/75/22.5’s. Would be interested in feed back on the Toyo’s from those who are using these and have ran them several thousand miles. They are definitely a lot cheaper but from my life experiences cheap is not always a good thing in long run. My coach has approx 34,000 miles on the original Michelin tires and other than this recent issue with the two front tires they appear to have at least that much milage left in them although I planned on replacing all in 2020 due to the seven year rule. So first question is has anyone replaced the fronts with toyo’s and continued to use the Michelins on rear? Interested in feedback on idea of using new Toyo’s on front and leaving Michelins on rear for a couple more years till Michelins age out. I could also get new 255/80/22.5 michelins here locally but close to twice the cost. Thoughts? Also as a side note looking at michelins tire size,weight, charts and after weighing my coach 110lb will be needed. My front axle was around 7300 lb as I recall. Cant remember exact numbers as ticket is in coach but do remember Looking at chart max rated pressure of 110 is needed both front and rear on mine.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

Tire replacement

We have a 2011 378 and did not come near the weight your indicating, we run 90 psi and are well within the weight pressure chart. I replaced my tires at 5 years not due to tread loss but dry rot of the sidewalls. Check that, Michelin’s are known for that. I didn’t go with toyo, had bad experience with them, also a dry rot side wall problem. We went with Bridgestone. Also I noticed you said you were running 255/80/22.5 our coach was a 235/80/22.5 a different size. Good luck on your adventure of tires and wallet.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

We did exactly that. Put the smaller Toyo tires on our 2010 Georgetown 350. We replaced all 6 tires on the motorhome and are very happy with them. We just came back from a 5500 mile trip out west and back. We feel that these tires gave us a much smoother ride. So far so good.

R & S
2010 Gorgetown 350
2012 Honda CRV toad
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #4

This post is waaay too long to read after a couple of bourbons.
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #5

Your psi should be adjusted the same on both tires for the actual weight on the axle, using the tire mfgrs. load table. That may well be 110psi if you're heavy. If your psi is correct and you still have unusual wear, its balancing, toe in/out, bearings, or a combination thereof.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Your psi should be adjusted the same on both tires for the actual weight on the axle, using the tire mfgrs. load table. That may well be 110psi if you're heavy. If your psi is correct and you still have unusual wear, its balancing, toe in/out, bearings, or a combination thereof.

I agree with Phillyg, my front tires were cupping as well until after an alignment. Then no cupping. I adjusted my tires according to manufactures spec. 82 in the front and 74 in the rear. Tracks great and much softer ride.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #7

Alignment

As Tiffin owners are willing to drive to Red Bay to have any and everything fixed that should not leave the factory that way, may I suggest that if you are in Florida or make a dedicated trip, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND any and all stop by JOSAMS in Orlando. They did a complete front and rear alignment including shims the factory and Ford never did. The RV drove straight even before they tweaked my front Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. Not expensive, but not free either. Best money spent on an alignment ever.

I have NO affiliation.
I just love professionals doing their job right the first time!
FYI, Josam invented their frame straightening system in 1972 and their wheel alignment system in 1974 in Sweden. It is all computerized exactly like you would see at Firestone, but made & designed specifically for RVs and Semis! It doesn't get any better than this. People drive from all over the US to go there. I rate them 100 out of 100!

Home
407-438-7020
8849 Exchange dr. Orlando, Florida 32809
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #8

Unfortunately Im back in WV. Wife had to be back to work this weekend. I used Jo Sam back in 2011 when I was having handling issues with a cross country on freightliner xp chassis I previously owned. They do have a first class operation and I had great results. I ordered two new Michelins (255/80/22.5 XRV) that are coming from NC and are supposed to be here Tuesday. I’ll put the new ones on front, trash the cupped ones then try my luck in Charleston, WV with alignment on Thursday. They tell me they have a machine and should be able to take care of the F53 as long as I have good tires on front. I also have safety steer that will probably need zero’d ie centered if they adjust toe. I checked my weight ticket again today and am around 7300 lb on front axle and around 14200 on rear if I recall correctly. When I looked at Michelins chart unless Im confused I think this weight requires max inflation of 110 psi. If I am reading their chart incorrectly and incorrect please advise. Thanks to all that took the time to respond and advise.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:31 AM   #9

Tires

Like mentioned above Josams in orlando took care of my 335 georgetown, also they do all the fire equipment for city and county of orlando.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tire