Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Tire replacement / Uniroyal

Hello all...
It is getting time for a new set of shoes for my Georgetown 351 DS.
Local dealer is recommending Uniroyal RS20s as they are made by Michelin and come at a good price ($241 + $10 install + tax).
Anyone used Uniroyal before?
Any thoughts on these tires vs others?
Any general guidance (it’s my first time buying RV tires)

Thanks for any help you can provide!
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

One note... I’m currently running on Goodyear GS70-RVs and am very pleased with the handling of my rig as is (no CHF or other front end changes).
Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #3

Hi

We just purchased 6 Toyo tires and an excellent price compared to the Michelins. Our tires size is currently is 235/80R/22.5 and we replaced them with the Toyo size 245/75/22.5 which is the equivalent to the michelin size. We have a 2010 Georgetown 350. They are being installed on Monday.

R & S
2010 350 Georgetown 350
2012 Honda CRV toad
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
Hello all...
It is getting time for a new set of shoes for my Georgetown 351 DS.
Local dealer is recommending Uniroyal RS20s as they are made by Michelin and come at a good price ($241 + $10 install + tax).
Anyone used Uniroyal before?
Any thoughts on these tires vs others?
Any general guidance (it’s my first time buying RV tires)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Just because Uniroyal is owned by Michelin doesn't mean their tires are made by Michelin. Even if they were, tire manufacturers don't always have the same quality levels from parent company flagship tires to other brands they own.

In my past experience, when Uniroyal hadn't been purchased by Michelin yet, their tires were not the greatest. Uniroyal tended to make a lot of "Private Label" tires for places like Co op, oil companies, and discount retailer chains.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Given how much we all have riding on our tires......lives, weight, handling, etc
Going cheap on tires is not an area I’m willing to go into.

Just sayin’.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #6

So was all lined up to go Goodyear and now this....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1824997252/amp
Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
So was all lined up to go Goodyear and now this....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1824997252/amp
Are you shocked? Let's face it, all huge corporations have teams of lawyers that only have one job, minimizing losses from lawsuits. Since they're most often sued by "the little guy" who's attorney is working on a contingency fee all they have to do is stall, stall, stall, then offer a settlement. It's usually just big enough to satisfy the plaintiff's attorney, who pockets up to 1/3 without having to lay out millions for experts, laboratory costs, staff costs, etc. They then convince the client that this is the best possible outcome for them and oh, by the way, the terms will be sealed by the court so you can't talk about it.

Goodyear's no different than any other tire company, or for that matter any company that manufacturers just about anything.

The big thing about the G-159 fiasco is that the tire was never intended to be applied to the Motorhome market. It was designed and built for the regional freight trucks that delivered beer, merchandise, essentially city deliveries, where tire temps didn't rise to destructive levels. The chassis manufacturer put the tire on, not Goodyear.

FWIW, the same issue arose with the Firestone tire and Ford Explorer. Tire manufacturer stated the inflation pressures that SHOULD be used and Ford put pressures on the door post that kept the ride smooth. Yes, the tire had it's flaws but Ford exacerbated the problem by specifying too low an operating pressure. (I owned one of the Explorers with this problem and when the fertilizer hit the air circulating device Ford sent me a new Door Sticker with the higher air pressure). When three forces met disaster happened. Tire company built a tire with vulnerabilities. Car manufacturer ignored tire manufacturer's recommendations. This was finally compounded by the normal vehicle owner's carelessness in not paying attention to tire pressures. The first two can be fixed but over the years I have become convinced that the last will never be fixed until vehicles all have automatic tire pressure maintenance systems like some commercial and military vehicles do.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #8

One thing to do. When you are buying tires, always get a price quote with an out the door price including mounting, balancing, shop fees, tires, and tax. Best to get it in writing. I just put a set of Hankook tires on my MH and when I went to pay, they wanted $400. more then the price I was quoted. Really had to argue before I got the price they had quoted me. I think I did get ripped off even after they fixed the price because of other things that happened while my MH was in their shop.

On another note, I ran Uniroyal tires on my car for years and never had a complaint. Dealer quit handling them so I switched to Michelin. I have no idea how they would be on a MH. My top three choices were Goodyear, Toyo, and Hankook tires, with Hankook being in the middle price range. Do a search for reviews of those brands with the size you need.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #9

Well I put Sumitomo's on my rig two years ago opting not to replace sidewall cracked Michelin's with the same and reward them for having a crappy product to begin with. Very satisfied with the ride and handling of the Sumo's. My first choice would've been Hankook's though but I could not find a truck/RV retailer in the Buffalo, NY area that handled them. Have had then on my DW's and my SUV's and loved them.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

So it is time i start looking as well.

We had a blow out last year and through Roadside Assistance had a new Goodyear Endurance tire put on. It is a Commercial "H" rated tire.

Now it is time to replace the others -- unfortunately. So, i started looking. Looking at the "RV" tires, just thinking Goodyear at the moment, the G670 or other 19.5" tires are $200-$300 more -- EACH. I have been looking and really can't seem to find a difference.

Honestly, as bad as most roads are, having heavy duty commercial tires seems like a better option to me, plus, can't imagine the ride being any worse than these big RV's have anyway.

Any thoughts or reasons I should NOT go ahead and stick with the Commercial Endurance tires?
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Goodyear and Michelin brands for sure......make RV specific tires.
They have a slightly softer sidewall for a softer ride, but more importantly they have better UV protection against the sun, knowing that RVs are parked more than they’re running, even though I strongly advise tire covers be used when parking more than 3-4 days.

The commercial tires consequently, have stiffer sidewalls because the delivery vehicles do a lot of “poor” parallel parking against the curb day to day, so they need to be stronger to stand up to the abuse.

But......you can always decide for yourself

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookupAndGo View Post
So it is time i start looking as well.

We had a blow out last year and through Roadside Assistance had a new Goodyear Endurance tire put on. It is a Commercial "H" rated tire.

Now it is time to replace the others -- unfortunately. So, i started looking. Looking at the "RV" tires, just thinking Goodyear at the moment, the G670 or other 19.5" tires are $200-$300 more -- EACH. I have been looking and really can't seem to find a difference.

Honestly, as bad as most roads are, having heavy duty commercial tires seems like a better option to me, plus, can't imagine the ride being any worse than these big RV's have anyway.

Any thoughts or reasons I should NOT go ahead and stick with the Commercial Endurance tires?

Here are the specs on it:

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/p...sa_2016_v2.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #13

When my Goodyear blew out I said "no more". So I got a set of Bridgestones 245/75R19.5 R250 H grade. I run 92psi and am very happy with the ride
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Goodyear and Michelin brands for sure......make RV specific tires.
They have a slightly softer sidewall for a softer ride, but more importantly they have better UV protection against the sun, knowing that RVs are parked more than they’re running, even though I strongly advise tire covers be used when parking more than 3-4 days.

The commercial tires consequently, have stiffer sidewalls because the delivery vehicles do a lot of “poor” parallel parking against the curb day to day, so they need to be stronger to stand up to the abuse.

But......you can always decide for yourself
It was the sidewall that blew out of my Goodyear. I figured I needed stronger sidewalls!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #15

The reason i have one Endurance is that my sidewall also blew out.

I have also been looking at the Bridgestones.... I think no matter which way I go, I can only hope to get reasonable wear and several years out of the tires. It becomes a "game" and every time you head out on a trip there is that little prayer in the back of your head asking to "please, don't let me have a blow out on this trip"....

As for the Endurance and the Commercial aspect and the expectation that the tires are used more frequently (less sitting like an RV does)...just means I have an excuse -- wait, a requirement, to get out on the road more often !
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #16

The reason my old Michelin's sidewalls cracked was because "they didn't have enough UV protection" added to their rubber compound. When I replaced them they were offering commercial truck tires full price recalls. But, because of the small volume of the RV industry and the lack of "voice" they did not follow suit for the RV'ers stuck with the expense of having to replace their tires after just a few short years and even less miles of use. However, to their credit Michelin did offer me a 45% rebate off of retail price to replace my tires. I would've been stuck for the sales tax on the full amount, all mounting costs, and wait for the money to come back to me.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tire