Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Tires and Long Term Parking

My 2007 Georgetown has six Michelin XRV's size 235/80R22.5. Basically that's the same tire that most modern 18 wheeler trucks use with some extra UV resistant compound in it.

My question is do I have to worry about leaving my coach parked on these tires for a long periods of time (weeks? Months? over winter)

I know that truckers go out and move their trucks around every once in a while when they're parked for a few days and fully loaded. But maybe they only did this back in days of bias ply tires.

My tires are pretty near their load limit. Cat scales says I'm 20,000lbs loaded and on the way out of town for a long trip.
~12,000 on the rear axle and ~8,000 on the front.

I run them at 93psi, Michelin says single tire load rating at 90psi is 4140 per tire for singles and 7530 for duels. So on the front I'm slightly under the 90psi rating but it's pretty close. The rears look better. Maximum pressure is 110psi for these tires.

Any anyone have any data about how often or if you should roll your truck tires when they're close to their load limit?

2008 Georgetown SE 350DS BunkHouse
jsutherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I cover mine during long periods of parking. I also park on some flat lumber to keep them off the asphalt during the winter. Otherwise that's all I've done. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take it out occassionally though.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
RVer In The Making
I truly would cover them and raise them off the ground. My friend down the block from me has a huge Winnebago that they travel in once a year and he's been doing this for years.
DobiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote