Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Tires Maintenance

Hello Friends,

To keep the tires on your coach last as long as you could or last as long as it should, you need to make sure you have good front end alignment, well-balanced tires and rotate your tires frequently.

That said, how often do you perform those above tasks on your tires? And, How much would you or did you spend on those tasks to be considered as reasonable?

Thanks.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

Okay,beat me, our coach Is a 2011, never rotated or balanced our tires, just check the pressure and wear. Has been minimal wear and now due to be changed out due to age, tread is still like new and zero wear, also they don't bounce as in out of balance. That's my deal do what makes you feel good.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Okay,beat me, our coach Is a 2011, never rotated or balanced our tires, just check the pressure and wear. Has been minimal wear and now due to be changed out due to age, tread is still like new and zero wear, also they don't bounce as in out of balance. That's my deal do what makes you feel good.
Well, sound like you did not put too many miles on those babies. Right?
Old 06-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Well, sound like you did not put too many miles on those babies. Right?

Not really, only about 85,000.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
So let me understand this, you owned the coach from 2011 and put almost 85,000 miles on the coach assuming a thousand or two for transport your coach to you, you never have any alignment, wheels balancing or rotation? That is incredible. I am assuming this is your second set of tire. Right?

Is there anyone else out there do anything different?
Old 06-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Scoundrel

Quote:
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
So let me understand this, you owned the coach from 2011 and put almost 85,000 miles on the coach assuming a thousand or two for transport your coach to you, you never have any alignment, wheels balancing or rotation? That is incredible. I am assuming this is your second set of tire. Right?

Is there anyone else out there do anything different?

This is my factory set of tires, changing them out this month. The sidewalks are starting to show cracks, etc. plus they are date coded sept 2010. They are aging out. If this had been a big heavy diesel I am sure the tires would have worn out quite some time ago but this gas rig is pretty light considering the load rating for the tires.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #8

TPMS and air as needed, plenty of '303'. Last set, the Michelin's lasted 10 years with no checking.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
TPMS and air as needed, plenty of '303'. Last set, the Michelin's lasted 10 years with no checking.
Hello Fred,

I am not sure what is "303" mean. So you have the tire set for 10 years and never have to do any regular alignment or rotation? That is odd to me, but sound like that is a good thing.

On my Jeep, I am doing front end alignment, tire rotation and wheel balancing every 5000 to 6000 miles.

What did that mean the F-53 and Michelin tire are that super? Hope that you are not "pulling my legs".

Old 06-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #10

As part of regular tire inspection for sidewall or tread damage, checking the tread depth with a gauge will give an indication of possible alignment issues. Good alignment usually equals even wear.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello Fred,

I am not sure what is "303" mean. So you have the tire set for 10 years and never have to do any regular alignment or rotation? That is odd to me, but sound like that is a good thing.

On my Jeep, I am doing front end alignment, tire rotation and wheel balancing every 5000 to 6000 miles.

What did that mean the F-53 and Michelin tire are that super? Hope that you are not "pulling my legs".

The points you made about tire care are very good for cars but your MH is a heavy duty TRUCK. In my 5th year and 26k and no visible wear on the tires. The most important thing is to have a good alignment from the get go. From there on proper inflation, and better to be a little high rather than low. I usually run 90. The tires are rated up to 110 per the side wall. 95 is the highest I go. Tire perfectionists coat their tires with tire lube and install tire covers when parked. None of that for me. The tires will "age out" unless you hit a serious road hazard. Overloading and road hazards are the two biggest causes of tire failure IMHOP. I think you are over thinking the tire situation. Modern truck tires are very tough and so is the MH truck chassis that FR uses. Some folks spend a lot of money on after market handling gear. My coach holds a straight line with one finger at 70mph. Hard to improve on that. I do get sway pulling in and out of uneven driveways at fuel stops, etc. But going slow solves that. My only gripe is the occasional semi that passes me going 75 or 80. Pretty strong push but I usually see them coming well before they get to me. You are far more likely to have problems with the coach and appliances than with the Ford drive train and chassis.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Thanks for posting!

To Tamdle: I have had three Motorhomes, two fivers, and a travel trailer, and NEVER rotated the tires. Just good alignment from the get-go.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
llr

I rotated the tires on my class A occasionally, not for tread wear but for UV exposure. same side rotation, front to rear outside, rear outside to rear inside and rear inside to front.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I rotated the tires on my class A occasionally, not for tread wear but for UV exposure. same side rotation, front to rear outside, rear outside to rear inside and rear inside to front.

With our 378 the inside rear rims are steel so that wouldn't work to well for looks.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
I knew for some reason that was coming I like that answer.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #17
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Tire Maintenance

I bought my 2015 GT 328ts in January (I am the second owner). The coach was originally put into service in Sept 2014 (dealer informed me). Assuming it has the original set of tires on it, and that nothing had been done to the coach (it was a bank repossession). I had the tires rotated last month. Also, while the tires were being rotated, I had value stem extensions installed to make it easier to get air in the tires. The front end was aligned at my request before I signed for the coach (PDI item).

I believe that replacing the tires on an RV should be done every 5 years. Here in Florida, we deal with dry rot problems. I went through two sets of tires on my travel trailer and most of the old tires had visible dry rot. So, I am anticipating replacing the 6 tires on my Georgetown in the fall of 2019. I currently have the Goodyear G670 tire on the coach. I noticed the other day that Tirerack.com sells a Michelin tire for about $425 a tire. So, I am doing some planning.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amullis View Post
I bought my 2015 GT 328ts in January (I am the second owner). The coach was originally put into service in Sept 2014 (dealer informed me). Assuming it has the original set of tires on it, and that nothing had been done to the coach (it was a bank repossession). I had the tires rotated last month. Also, while the tires were being rotated, I had value stem extensions installed to make it easier to get air in the tires. The front end was aligned at my request before I signed for the coach (PDI item).

I believe that replacing the tires on an RV should be done every 5 years. Here in Florida, we deal with dry rot problems. I went through two sets of tires on my travel trailer and most of the old tires had visible dry rot. So, I am anticipating replacing the 6 tires on my Georgetown in the fall of 2019. I currently have the Goodyear G670 tire on the coach. I noticed the other day that Tirerack.com sells a Michelin tire for about $425 a tire. So, I am doing some planning.

In the heat and sun the tires will dry rot much faster but these being truck tires you will probably get 6 to 7 years out of them, especially if you cover them when stopped. I just replaced my tires on our coach, a 2011 378XL. My Michelins we cracked pretty bad. Right now, for some reason, the dealer has a 2 month back order on all Michelins. We went with Bridgestone. The tires is eco rated in California (low rolling resistance). The rating on these are excellent. The bottom line is 6 tires, mounted, balanced, tax, excise tax, etc. drive out was $2611. The Michelin brand would have been about 3500 after all additional charges. FYI.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #19

Quote:
In the heat and sun the tires will dry rot much faster but these being truck tires you will probably get 6 to 7 years out of them, especially if you cover them when stopped. I just replaced my tires on our coach, a 2011 378XL. My Michelins we cracked pretty bad. Right now, for some reason, the dealer has a 2 month back order on all Michelins. We went with Bridgestone. The tires is eco rated in California (low rolling resistance). The rating on these are excellent. The bottom line is 6 tires, mounted, balanced, tax, excise tax, etc. drive out was $2611. The Michelin brand would have been about 3500 after all additional charges. FYI.
Sound like you have got a great deal for your tires. I think that Bridgestone has some corporation relationship with Michelin (not for sure). I used Bridgestone in the past and was happy with it too. As long as not FIRESTONE, I think that we are safe.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #20

303 tire treatment(amazon $18). non petroleum and non silicon. do not use strong detergents on tires. this will wash off the protective carbon black(UV) and wax(ozone) from the side walls. use tire covers (white) to keep the sun off. also driving a little every month will let the new carbon black and wax migrate to the surface. just spray it on and let it soak in. only need to wipe off of rims. this will not hurt rims.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, tire, tires