Old 08-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #21

I would do it when you put it away for winter.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That engine is not even broken in, I would definitely NOT put a synthetic oil in it until after the engine has at least 5,000 miles on it. Put whatever the engine mfgr says in it until after it's broken in!
Coot, your showing your age here. Modern metalurgy eliminated the need for "break in" periods years ago. General rule is to use the manufactures oil recommendations on your engine. That way, your covered in case of engine failure.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #23

Damn, for a change I agree with everyone. Hell yes. Change it asap. Even here in sunny SoCal I won't trust oil sitting in my engine for two years. Oh HELL Reminds me ,,,, the mowers and other motors around here are all overdue.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #24

Sorry Coot. Old urban legend. You can use synthetic at ANY time, and you can swap back and forth at ANY time. There is NO downside. We are no longer using poorly honed engine blocks, with cast crummy rings...

It breaks in perfectly with Synthetic, Semi-Synthetic or Dino oil.... And as pointed out, many engines ship with synthetic. (2 reasons: Mobile pays to get that sticker under the hood, and synthetic cold poor rate slightly improved MPG in the CITY DRIVING MPG tests.

AND RE: Smokey. I built and maintained NASCAR, FORMULA and Trans-Am stuff for many years. Smokey was an "Thomas Edison". ie. Not a rocket scientist, but a very hard worker and experimenter. He brought lots of great things to racing, but most were by accident or trial and error (and the rest via a loose interpretation of the rules. EG. His 51 mpg Fiero was a huge fraud. Not to mention that his real contributions are over 30 years old. Metallurgy and oils have come a long way since then.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SternHappens View Post
Not on point with the Oil change but make sure you take your unit to get a wheel alignment within the first 6 months of purchase and before any long trip. FR will reimburse you for the cost. Could potentially save you cost of new tires getting prematurely worn out.
Where is the documentation that FR will pay for wheel alignment? Have others been able to do this?
Old 08-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Coot, your showing your age here. Modern metalurgy eliminated the need for "break in" periods years ago. General rule is to use the manufactures oil recommendations on your engine. That way, your covered in case of engine failure.
Regardless of what you or others say, "I DID SAY USE WHATEVER OIL THE MFGR SAYS!"
Old 08-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
...RE: Smokey. I built and maintained NASCAR, FORMULA and Trans-Am stuff for many years. Smokey was an "Thomas Edison". ie. Not a rocket scientist, but a very hard worker and experimenter. He brought lots of great things to racing, but most were by accident or trial and error (and the rest via a loose interpretation of the rules. EG. His 51 mpg Fiero was a huge fraud. Not to mention that his real contributions are over 30 years old. Metallurgy and oils have come a long way since then.
Smokey forgot more than NASCAR knows even now. He made the first double pumper carb which Holley stole, made the first reciprocating ball steering sector which GM stole, came up with the inner liner which NASCAR ban, suggested a soft wall which NASCAR rejected, came up with the bladder in the gas tank which NASCAR rejected and ban his car. Ran an engine that ran backwards for several races to get the torgue to transfer to the left and NASCAR techs never did find it and the list goes on and on. You need to read his autobiography before you start bad mouthing the man. RIP Smokey!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #28

Agree with that one!

I just got the ok today my alignment claim was approved through FR. 😃

Mr. G
Old 08-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You need to read his autobiography before you start bad mouthing the man. RIP Smokey!
Didn't know you were related. And, show me where I "bad mouthed" him. He was a smart guy. (But took lots of credit for things he DIDN"T do. He was a carny of sorts.

BTW, You should read a BIOGRAPHY, not a AUTOBIOGRAPHY. Did you know John DeLorean ? Same kind of guy.... Thought very highly of, but mostly by himself. Smoky was a likeable guy, I am told by a few people. (And he WAS VERY BRIGHT.) However, he turned me off with many of the claims he made that he never did and especially the complete lie about the Fiero. In the category of Nick Tesla.....

AND.. his knowledge of metallurgy and oil was 30 years old....