Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Toad rookie needs advice please

I am new to towing cars with the RV. I will be using a tow dolly instead since our toyota can't be towed 4 down. I am hoping to get a tandem dolly so that our motorcycle can make the trip too.

What will I need as far as brake systems? I see the dolly can be fitted with electric or hydraulic brakes. Does that replace a brake system for the car, or do I need some sort of brake system in the car also?

Then do I need to wire the car's brake/turn lights or is it easier to use the magnetic ones I've seen?

Obviously I'm really a rookie here, so all advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #2

I think you’re talking about a full trailer & not a dolly.
If you’re getting a tandem axel trailer then you wouldn’t be using the car brakes at all.
You will need a brake controller in the RV. What kind is a whole other thread.
The trailer would also have the standard DOT required lights too.
You would just need the brake controller, 7-way connector & a class 4 or 5 hitch receiver.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #3

After looking at hitches online you will definitely need a class V hitch receiver if you're towing a car & cycle.
How about you post a picture or link of the trailer/dolly you’re contemplating.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

Something along these lines:

Nationwide RV Tow Dolly Manufacturer

I hope the link works, I don't know how to put up a picture...
Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Wow that is the coolest tow dolly ever. Nice find!

If you have your car on a tow dolly can you back up or are you limited to only forward movement.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

Okay so it really is a dolly & then some!
Wish I had one of those when I had my class A!

If the RV does not have a hitch already I’d definitely have a class V installed.

I see it has either electric or surge brakes.
I would go with the surge. You won’t need a brake controller in the RV.
Surge breaks work on inertia & apply the brakes on the dolly depending on how fast you’re going & hard you’re breaking.

I had surge breaks on my Kar kaddy dolly.

As for the lights, I had the wired set & after two years of the harness rubbing against the car & the finish is all marred in places.
They now have wireless lights. You have two magnet lights for the back of your car & you have a transmitter that plugs into the connector on the tow vehicle. They’re triple the price of the wired lights but well worth it if you ask me.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

There's an old saying...."he who has the most toys wins!!!!!!!"

That being said, and the fact that you posted under the Georgetown heading, I'll assume you have a Georgetown......and they all have the same Ford V-10 engine, rated at approx. 360 horsepower. Then you have to remember you have to stop all of this at sometime.

Also, Georgetowns come with a 5000 lb hitch. That's for everything. The dolly, the vehicle(s) and the fluids, and any cargo they are carrying. This total has to be included towards the total RV weight, and therefore you may have to reduce what you carry INSIDE the motorhome.

Have you really down the math????

As far as backing up a dolly, good luck. Most trailered items are invisible in the side mirrors, and by the time you do see them, you're jacknifed. Best to disconnect first then position the RV.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #8

Yep, we have a '08 Georgetown 373.

Now once more for the hard headed one If we have surge brakes on the dolly, do we need any breaking system hooked up in the car?

Also kenandterry, I notice you list a Honda Goldwing. How do you trailer your bike? We have used an enclosed cargo trailer to bring our bike with us in the past. Just always wished we could have had the car too.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #9

Oh yeah, and as far as backing up, walkie talkies are a God-send. I'm on the tarmack and the "boss" is at the wheel.......

turn the wheel to the left..... c'mon back.....straighen it out.... c'mon back....

kinda funny, but it's saved our bacon a couple of times!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Rxfiller........

I don't tow anything as heavy or involved as the bike/car rig shown. However, I believe the braking system of a tow dolly is the only braking system added to the equation. Afterall, a car on a dolly would only have it's rear wheels on the ground and the braking system of a car applies brakes both front and rear. Besides, trying to balance the braking proportions of a dolly and a car would be almost impossible.

As far as towing my Wing, here's what we use........the best solution out there IMHO. Adds the least amount of weight to a rig and you still get a covered trailer.

Enclosed Trailers for Motorcycles and Snowmobiles - Toy Carrier

As far as a car, there's lots of car rental agencies these days with unlimited mileage, they pick you up at the campground, etc.......when we need the car.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #11

I tow my Altima on a dolly with electric brakes. You do not need a braking system for the car, only the dolly. Check your weights for towing and your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight--the car, cycle, dolly and rig loaded. I use the lights on the dolly only and have not had any problems being noticed.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #12

I assume your 373 is on a Ford chassis with a 22,000 lb. GVWR and a 26,000 lb. GCWR. If so, according to Ford, you have a 4,000 lb. tow rating even if you have a 5,000 lb. hitch. I doubt the combined weight of a car, motorcycle and tow dolly will be lower than either of those numbers. You also need to consider the vertical hitch weight of your set up.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote