Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Toad test drive

Morning to all. Todays the day. Getting ready to pull the Toad for the first time...check out the Ready Brake, lights, etc....

I'll post some pics of everything when done. I've driven just about everything on wheels, wihtout a thought, with a class A CDL. But....nervous about pulling a car for some reason.
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #2

it's a piece of cake...you won't even know she is there...until you go to stop...LOL>.good luck and enjoy.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #3

I have a 2009 Georgetown 374 and tow a 2010 CRV. Never towed anything but a small trailer before. Towing the CRV is a piece of cake! Just remember its back there ( had to readjust the camera to see behind it. ) and takes a lot more time to stop.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

The most IMPORTANT thing.....DO NOT BACK UP AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #5

Jaxfl
Everyone should know that you should never back up a motorhome when there is a car following behind you that close.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #6

No backing up...lol. Everything went very well. Didn't even feel the Toad except for a pothole or two I couldn't avoid. Ran 50 miles round trip. I did make a quick stop to adjust the Ready Brake Cable. The indicator light wasn't coming on braking below 50mph. I'm going to have to run with a bungee when towing...Our Equinox's brakes, (brake lights), are very sensitive. You barely touch the petal and they come on. The tow cables that came with the Ready Brute Elite are too short, couldn't run them through the d-ring and wrap the towbar...just left them straight. The drop receiver gives just that little bit extra to make them too short. They will work for now, but I plan on picking up new ones...or going with, (making my own), a heavy duty chain that won't snap even if the towbar or hitch fails.

I have the breakaway installed, but my cable is too short to reach.....was supposed to be in the mail and here by now. Looks like I'll be getting my own cable for that tomorrow.

Spent the rest of today flushing the water system and adding a little bleach. We leave for Florida Saturday morning for Easter break. Should be a good 1700 mile round trip shakedown. I only was able to snap a few photos before my phone died, but plan on getting as many as I can on our trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0057.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	5281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0058.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	5282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	5283  
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #7

Great to hear that all went well! I use the US Gear system and I actually have shorter stops with the TOAD than without it. On steep off ramps I can feel the toad (Saturn Vue) tugging backward. :-)
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #8

Besides installing power visors this past weekend I also finished the tow install on the Jeep and the rig. I have been working on it over several weekends. On the Jeep I installed Roadmaster MX baseplates, Cool-Tech wiring harness and SMI Duo Stay-in-Play braking system. Using a RM Sterling All-terrain tow bar and was able to tow the toad for the first time on Sunday and was very happy with the way it all turned out. Did all the install myself and figured I saved over a grand. Towing the Jeep on it's first road trip Easter weekend to Anza-Borrego and it will be nice to be able to leave the campground and go exploring.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #9

I keep the rear camera on all the time when I'm towing our Dakota otherwise I don't know it's there. Also we bought our Sterling All Terrain along with the attachments for the Dakota on line. I got everything for about half price with no shipping costs or tax. Pays to shop around for that expensive stuff.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote