Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #11

Remember to really read the owner's manual about the vehicle you want to use for your toad. Automatic transmission vehicles are very selective about being flat towed.......manual transmissions, not so much.

My toad is a 2006 Pontiac G6.....similar power options and size as the Chevy Malibu and Saturn Aura.

But.............there were 3 engine options with the G6 and automatic transmission in 2006. A 4 cylinder, a 3.5 liter V6 and a 3.9 liter V6. From the outside, they all look identical with the exterior trim. ONLY THE 3.5 LITER V6 WITH THE ASSOCIATED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CAN BE FLAT TOWED. General Motors attached different automatic transmissions to different engines.......not sure why, they just did.

Make sure you see it in print that you CAN flat tow the vehicle you choose.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
Choose the Ford..! Our tax dollars were not used for this company to stabilize itself. Reward Ford with your business.. Even a used one from one of their dealers purchased as a "Certified Preowned" will have a very good warranty..!
That, is the biggest misnomer of the auto industry! 6 or 7 years earlier, Ford took a huge govt handout... it was a gift, no repayment. GM & Chrysler are responsible for paying theirs back, Ford... $0

Old 07-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
A few weeks ago I was approached by someone in an RV Park and asked what I had to do to tow my Honda 4 wheels down?
He then told me that he had bought a Ford that was supposed to be towable and the transmission had to be replaced. It was replaced under warranty. But they told him that he needed to take out some aft when towing and then put it back to drive. He was not sure what he was going to do because he had spent all the money to prepare the Ford to tow.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #14

I discovered that the Ford is no longer towable. In 02/2012 Ford sent an addendum to the owner's manual revoking the flat tow approval. I will keep the GMC Terrain and the Jeep Liberty under consideration. The Liberty is a little heavier than I wanted (4200 lbs), and the GMC is a little more expensive.

Oh well, I may just keep what I have. LOL

Happy Trails and thanks for everyone's input.

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #15

Yep, washed, waxed and detailed my Tracker. Runs faster, gets better gas mileage, and tows better than ever before! What was I thinking? LOL

Thanks all, and happy trails, Forrest

2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote