Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #1

Toads

I am considering a different toad. I am looking at Pre-2012 Ford Escapes, GMC Terrain, Honda CRV, all wheel or 4 wheel drive. All are rated to flat tow. I wonder if anyone out there has had experience with any of these, good or bad.

Please, keep your replies to these three only.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #2

When I was looking at TOADS, it seemed a ton were doing the CRV.

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
outdoor addict

Have you considered a Jeep Wrangler? Great tow vehicle.
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
I am considering a different toad. I am looking at Pre-2012 Ford Escapes, GMC Terrain, Honda CRV, all wheel or 4 wheel drive. All are rated to flat tow. I wonder if anyone out there has had experience with any of these, good or bad.

Please, keep your replies to these three only.

Happy Trails, Forrest
Choose the Ford..! Our tax dollars were not used for this company to stabilize itself. Reward Ford with your business.. Even a used one from one of their dealers purchased as a "Certified Preowned" will have a very good warranty..!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

This will be the third year towing a 2011 Honda CR-V, probably close to 10K towing miles. When we shopped in the summer of 2011, there were three vehicles that met the parameters of auto transmission, 4 down towing, no extra pumps, wires, smoke/mirrors- Honda, Ford, Chevy. We chose the Honda. Within a year Ford and Chevy had withdrawn their vehicles from the "tow 4 down" category. Eating up transmissions big time!! The Honda has a 5 minute set-up procedure done from the drivers seat. That will make you good for 8 hours/300 miles. Honda will not put a time limit on gas stops, potty breaks, etc. We have set our own at 45 minutes before a "redo" of the transmission set-up procedure. Again only 5 minutes. Besides, nice gettin 'round town car!!

Would highly recommend the Honda CR-V!! BTW, they are made in Marysville, OH
goodstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #6

Appreciate the info. The CRV does not have enough towing capacity (2,000 lbs), as I need 3500 lbs. That leaves the Ford and GM. I have not heard that GM pulled their flat tow recommendation, I talked to one dealer today that confirmed it is still approved. I will certainly make sure before I decide on a purchase. Who knows, I may keep my Chevy Tracker, as it is paid for. LOL.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Forrest.......

You mention you need 3500lbs towing capacity, and yet say that you have a Chevy Tracker today. I'm not sure, but I can't believe the Tracker has the towing capacity of 3500lbs either.

The pre 2012 Escapes could be equipped with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, but not anymore since the complete redesign. But I would still want to see it in writing in the Ford Manual that the particular V6 with FWD or AWD can be flat towed.

GMC Terrain and Chevy Equinox are basically the same vehicle nowadays. Once again, check the actual owner's manual for the exact engine choice as to flat towing. Newer models of various vehicles are now coming with 4 vs 6 cylinders with close to similar horsepower ratings, but reduced towing capacities.

Read carefully for flat towing on any vehicle..........but as was stated by another here........the Honda CRV seems to be the most popular toad choice these days, and was confirmed at a recent rally when the discussion was about toads. Next popular is the Jeep line......but not nearly as fuel efficient as most vehicles.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #8

fbconsults,

We have a 2011 GMC Terrain behind our motorhome and find it works well with four down. We love the comfortable ride it offers and has plenty of room for most all our "stuff". Ours is a 4-cyl. front wheel drive for economy and only pulls 2000#. I am not sure of the all-wheel and the 6-cyl. Think they are still only 2000#. Good luck with whatever direction you go.
Navigator - Gail
Louie & Cleo - Jack Russell's (Rulers of the Roost)
Fore Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #9

Thanks Fore Aces, that is the kind of information I am looking for, those with actual experience with those vehicles. The other information is helpful, but behind the wheel information is what I need. The Terrain is rated for 3500 lbs with the v-6 and tow package.

Thanks everyone, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
Old 07-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #10

Hello-

I tow a 2012 Chevy Equinox. Same car as the terrain. I have the 4 cylinder AWD. Tows nicely and is a quick set up. Simply requires the tranny in neutral and the removal of a fuse to keep from draining the battery. The V6 terrain should be the same, but read the owner's manual to verify before purchasing. I think the Terrain/Equinox vehicles will be the only ones that meet your requirements. They drive great. I love my Equinox.

Best of luck.

Mike
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Remember to really read the owner's manual about the vehicle you want to use for your toad. Automatic transmission vehicles are very selective about being flat towed.......manual transmissions, not so much.

My toad is a 2006 Pontiac G6.....similar power options and size as the Chevy Malibu and Saturn Aura.

But.............there were 3 engine options with the G6 and automatic transmission in 2006. A 4 cylinder, a 3.5 liter V6 and a 3.9 liter V6. From the outside, they all look identical with the exterior trim. ONLY THE 3.5 LITER V6 WITH THE ASSOCIATED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CAN BE FLAT TOWED. General Motors attached different automatic transmissions to different engines.......not sure why, they just did.

Make sure you see it in print that you CAN flat tow the vehicle you choose.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
Choose the Ford..! Our tax dollars were not used for this company to stabilize itself. Reward Ford with your business.. Even a used one from one of their dealers purchased as a "Certified Preowned" will have a very good warranty..!
That, is the biggest misnomer of the auto industry! 6 or 7 years earlier, Ford took a huge govt handout... it was a gift, no repayment. GM & Chrysler are responsible for paying theirs back, Ford... $0
Old 07-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
A few weeks ago I was approached by someone in an RV Park and asked what I had to do to tow my Honda 4 wheels down?
He then told me that he had bought a Ford that was supposed to be towable and the transmission had to be replaced. It was replaced under warranty. But they told him that he needed to take out some aft when towing and then put it back to drive. He was not sure what he was going to do because he had spent all the money to prepare the Ford to tow.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #14

I discovered that the Ford is no longer towable. In 02/2012 Ford sent an addendum to the owner's manual revoking the flat tow approval. I will keep the GMC Terrain and the Jeep Liberty under consideration. The Liberty is a little heavier than I wanted (4200 lbs), and the GMC is a little more expensive.

Oh well, I may just keep what I have. LOL

Happy Trails and thanks for everyone's input.

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #15

Yep, washed, waxed and detailed my Tracker. Runs faster, gets better gas mileage, and tows better than ever before! What was I thinking? LOL

Thanks all, and happy trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4