Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #21

IMHO, having to remove the board or having to bend over a bit to open the door outweighs having your kids break a leg or crack his head open if they fall in that abyss.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I know when I build mine it will have a 2" thick piece of styrofoam glued to the back of the plywood to help insulate that area. Those steps allow the most cold infiltration in the coach. There's only the steel steps that come out to access the coach batteries and that's it. The seal isn't too bad but it's just metal with a rubber grip pad on top.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I know when I build mine it will have a 2" thick piece of styrofoam glued to the back of the plywood to help insulate that area. Those steps allow the most cold infiltration in the coach. There's only the steel steps that come out to access the coach batteries and that's it. The seal isn't too bad but it's just metal with a rubber grip pad on top.
I rushed it when I built mine. You can have the plywood all the way flush with the screen door, but you have to make the cutout for the handrail. The only issue is how to cover the plywood with the cutout.

Very happy with mine even though it's a safety issue.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #24

I did a similar mod but left it raw plywood (no covering) with a "finger hole" to make it easier to pick up. Just used it once when grand kids were sleeping up front but it gave us a warm feeling to eliminate th chance of a fall.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I rushed it when I built mine. You can have the plywood all the way flush with the screen door, but you have to make the cutout for the handrail. The only issue is how to cover the plywood with the cutout.

Very happy with mine even though it's a safety issue.
In my 2007 the handrail doesn't go all the way down. It's mounted through the trim into the frame at the top and bottom. The trim sticks out about 3/8 of an inch on each side. I'll knotch it around both. I know it won't stop all the cold getting in but it will be a big improvement and the kids will be protected which is the main reason for doing the modifaction.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown